Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Firestorm

cover

Any help with what cover to buy for my cougar high country 299 rks 5th
says it 33.11 inches, whats a safe measure?
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

(I assume you mean 33.11 feet - not inches???)

Before investing in an RV cover, you might want to read what the majority of our members opinions are regarding covering an RV. I think you will find that most do not recommend it for a couple of reasons. First, is the chaffing abrasion on the rubber roof edges that results when the cover flaps, billows and moves about in the wind. Similar chaffing and marring can occur on the sides as well.
Then there is the wear and tear on the cover itself. Every edge and corner on the RV will produce holes in the cover unless they are protected by foam or some other material.
I have covered mine for the past couple of years but probably wont this year for the reasons outlined above.
If you consider all of the RV's sitting in dealers' lots and in driveways that are not covered, nearly all of them won't have leaks. Some may have UV damage to the roof but with proper roof care, that can be avoided.
But -- back to your question........I would get a tape and measure the total length of your RV - hitch to bumper - then get a cover that is about 2- 2 1/2 feet longer than this length.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
Firestorm

Thanks

Yea I thought about not covering also, I live in Mn with alot of snow and ice , thats the only reason I would cover it, My Dutchman TT I covered in the off season, They do take a beating with the winds here

Thanks for the advice I've got time to decide
Have a nice camping season
BP
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

We live in upper Michigan, also have lots of snow and ice. We covered our trailer last year when we bought it. When we took the cover off this spring, it was all fine with no problems, but we reallized after thinking about a trip to a warmer place in mid January or February, that with the cover on it, we couldn't get it off even if we wanted to. So, the trip only got to the thinking stages last winter. This year, I think I'll do like all the neighbors and not cover it. Ideally, and hopefully in the next year or so, I'll get the pole barn constructed to store it and my boat. That will give me the current one to use for a workshop/mancave like I wanted originally.... LOL Now all I have to do is figure out how to tow that mancave behind the fifth wheel..... <sigh>

If I were you, I'd think seriously about not spending money on a cover, it'll cost you about $100 a year (300 for a cover that lasts about 3 years) and for that, you can buy all the supplies to keep the roof and sidewalls properly maintained and if you think about it, you need to be doing that anyway, so the cover is extra, and gets in the way as much as it protects..... I guess what I'm saying is that I have a cover and it'll probably be taking up storage space that I could use for something else this winter.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:17 AM   #5
bdaniel

Here is what I did.

Camper Shelter

Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaniel View Post
Bobby, How long ago did you build that shelter? Around here, it looks like the cheapest I can find is almost 4 times what you paid. A pole barn is almost as cheap.... <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-11-2011, 02:16 AM   #7
bdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Bobby, How long ago did you build that shelter? Around here, it looks like the cheapest I can find is almost 4 times what you paid. A pole barn is almost as cheap.... <sigh>

About 8-10 years ago.
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaniel View Post
About 8-10 years ago.
A prime example of being too late. For me to build that type of shelter 14' wide and 30' long now would cost nearly $6000. That doesnt include dirt work or gravel to lay down after it's up. Oh well, keep saving I guess, or just but a lottery ticket and insist they only sell me the winning ticket LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-13-2011, 02:27 AM   #9
Devildogmom

Thumbs up Shelter

We discussed a cover, and several different kinds of shelters. We decided to put an extension on the barn in order to accomodate the length of the Cougar and install a new door on the extension.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
RonVal

I just bought a new fifth wheel and have it parked at a hunting camp. I plan to buy a cloth canopy to put over it. I have seen them on northern tools website 18'x30' is about $600. I will mount the poles on 4x4's to get the needed height. Of course here in florida we don't have to worry about snow etc. I mainly want to keep the sun/leaves etc off of it.
RonVal is offline   Reply With Quote