Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
powerstrokedub

Carbon 387 Review

Hey guys, just thought I would give my initial impressions after receiving my coach! The unit shipped from Indiana last monday and I took delivery wednesday morning then turned around and headed out to camp thursday morning.

First Impressions:
-This thing is huge, I am very happy that I went with the 387 and got the big garage. The living area is still plenty large and I'm amazed at the size of the bedroom!
-The tie down points in the garage are great, I feel so much better using them knowing they are welded to the frame versus the traditional screwed in style.
-The bedroom is incredibly big and has a ton of storage, I almost wish they would have made the bedroom slightly smaller and put some more room into the living area.
-For it's size the coach tows extremely well, my F-350 was weighed and was right at it's max load capacities which worried me slightly but good distribution of the weight in the coach and careful planning of travel weight checking proved to be very useful. I am very happy with the way the coach tows but will be upgrading to some airbags on the truck to ease towing even further.
-I LOVE all the exterior LED lights, I didn't know that the awning on the Carbon units had the big LED strip and I also wasn't aware of the blue lights in the nose cap. I had multiple people come talk to me when the coach was all lit up at night asking about what it was and telling me they thought it looked awesome. It definitely put a smile on my face to have my new toy complimented.
-Overall build quality is very good for a RV, being that this is my first RV (I'm pretty young) I had multiple friends and family who have been RVers for years telling me to plan on fixing a lot of items on the first trip out. To my total surprise everything worked flawlessly! I had a few minor items that I noted, but they were very minor.
-The minor issues were: some of the ceiling seam in the bathroom lost its adhesion which I will fix, there is a tiny chip in the bedside tabletop on the back corner and I mean tiny, one of the blinds by the couch is crooked so it will need to be retied, and I'm pretty sure that is it. I'm very pleased with that.
-After being in the dunes for the weekend it sure needs a good cleaning, but man am I stoked to go use it again.

If anyone needs a hook up on a dealer, I'm in Utah and my dealer went above and beyond for me. Please PM me if you want info as I'm not sure forum rules allow me to post the name publicly.

A quick pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140314_123117.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	5359  
powerstrokedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #2
powerstrokedub

Side note, that isn't me in the photo that is my buddy kicking back and enjoying the warm weather!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
BC Canada

Nice
What size is your garage? do both the Side by Side and ATV fit in it?
Can't wait til we can start camping again, sadly not til May.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:54 AM   #4
matandjen

Very nice unit. Glad to hear you are having so much fun with it. If it would ever stop snowing here we would be enjoying ours as well.....
matandjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Great looking Carbon, nice truck and it looks like an awesome spot to camp as well! I am also interested to know if both those toys fit in the garage?

You are free to post the name of your dealership and any comments (good or bad) about the service you received. As long as it's not an "out and out" advertisement for their business, feel free to make any comments about them that you want to be made public.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #6
Kristi

Great looking set up & camping spot! Glad you are enjoying the new rig!

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #7
sptddog

Looks awesome! I too am jealous of the camping spot!
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
CarbonFun

So we have the 327, where exactly is your LED strip on the awning? I dont think we have that but maybe like you we just didnt know.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
CarbonFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:41 AM   #9
nole_trainer

I'm leaning towards the much smaller 297, but nice to see your review and that you are happy with it! We do not have any toys, just bikes and maybe a golf cart one day.
nole_trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #10
powerstrokedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Canada View Post
Nice
What size is your garage? do both the Side by Side and ATV fit in it?
Can't wait til we can start camping again, sadly not til May.
My garage is 17.5', I had my 450 dirt bike, the XP1000, and a Honda Rubicon in the garage. I will probably get two dirt bikes and the other stuff in there is well. With some careful planning I would imagine I could get the two dirt bikes, the XP1000, and two four wheelers. I would never haul that much but I could haha. Thats a long time to wait to go camp, I hope it comes fast for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matandjen View Post
Very nice unit. Glad to hear you are having so much fun with it. If it would ever stop snowing here we would be enjoying ours as well.....
Thank you! Hopefully you get to take yours out soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Great looking Carbon, nice truck and it looks like an awesome spot to camp as well! I am also interested to know if both those toys fit in the garage?

You are free to post the name of your dealership and any comments (good or bad) about the service you received. As long as it's not an "out and out" advertisement for their business, feel free to make any comments about them that you want to be made public.
Thank you for the compliments!! Answered above, but yes both toys and then some fit in the garage!

Thank you for the advice on the forum rules, I appreciate it as I'm a newb here!

My dealer is Castle Country RV, they are super good guys to work with. Jeff, Jason or Tim are all great to work with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
Great looking set up & camping spot! Glad you are enjoying the new rig!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptddog View Post
Looks awesome! I too am jealous of the camping spot!
Thank you! The spot was great, we had some neighbors too and they were very nice people and also very inquisitive about the coach, specially when it was all lit up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFun View Post
So we have the 327, where exactly is your LED strip on the awning? I dont think we have that but maybe like you we just didnt know.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The LED light strip is right against the wall of the unit, it does not move with the awning but stays affixed to the side. The switch for mine was next to the hallway switch outside the bathroom door (kind of an odd spot I thought, but it works!). Let me know if you have one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nole_trainer View Post
I'm leaning towards the much smaller 297, but nice to see your review and that you are happy with it! We do not have any toys, just bikes and maybe a golf cart one day.
Castle Country RV is suppose to be getting a 297 in tomorrow morning, I'm going to go look it over just because. I have been so thoroughly impressed with the build quality of these Carbon units versus their competition. I just want to go look at a few more and see if it is consistent across the brand. They had a 31 bumper pull there a few days after I got mine and it also was built very well!

By a RZR!! You will love it! Like a golf cart on steroids and you can do so many things with them haha.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:28 AM   #11
Spring

Looks like you are at Coral Pink Sand Dunes, nice looking toyhauler!
Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
powerstrokedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring View Post
Looks like you are at Coral Pink Sand Dunes, nice looking toyhauler!
Indeed at coral pink!! I really enjoyed riding there for my first time at those dunes. Thank you for the compliment!

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #13
powerstrokedub

Bringing this back up to the top!! Lets hear about some other 387 owners or just other Carbon owners in general. I know there are plenty of 327 owners on the board!

What does everyone think about the new Carbon models? I saw two new tongue pulls and the new 357 5th wheel that mimics the Fuzion 371 / Raptor 375.

I have had a couple issues with my Carbon so my winter upgrade plan includes:
-Dexter E-Z Flex and ditching the Equa-Flex
-New side skirt mounting (I'm re-engineering)
-Reseal one spot in garage
-Motorcycle peg mount stands in garage
-TV in garage

I'm sure I'm missing something but that is my general plan right now, and of course trying to continue using the coach!
Old 09-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #14
gtsum2

That is a nice setup u have. I like the carbons especially at their price point. Is it possible to get auto level up on them?
Old 10-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #15
powerstrokedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
That is a nice setup u have. I like the carbons especially at their price point. Is it possible to get auto level up on them?
Thank you! The Carbons definitely offer a lot of bang for the buck which is why I own mine. At this point Level Up is not an option from the factory, it can be put on aftermarket though. I haven't really had a time when I wished I had it, even when parked next to my cousins Cyclone 4100. I generally end up somewhere that is really close to level and minimal work is required to level the coach.