Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2014, 07:27 AM   #1
canesfan

Separate battery for genset?

I've read several threads here talking about the genset charging/not charging it's starting battery and also wiring the coach battery to the genset battery, etc. My question is, I only have 1 battery, where there is room for 2, so the battery must be performing both coach and genset starting functions. Should I have a second battery, one for coach and one for genset?

I've always had 2 batteries before, but only because I never had an onboard genset and we dry camp a lot. So my thinking was to just go with 1 battery for starters and see how it worked out, but now I'm wondering if I really should have 2 anyway? Or am I misunderstanding something? Thanks!
Old 02-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
EricLynnAllison

I have 2 batteries for the camper and one for the generator. They are separated by a switch that disconnects them when the voltage drops below 12.5. That way my generator always has it own charge.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

As mentioned above, With one battery if you run it down over night you may not have enough power to start the geny. Two batteries isolated in some way to prevent the start battery from depleting would be ideal. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Post truck batteries

I noticed when I was looking at Raptors, some dealers only supplied one battery and if you wanted an additional one you were changed extra for the second battery and extra container. My dealer supplied two deep cycle batteries and containers at the same or lower price than others supplying a single battery. When I asked about the connection of the two batteries they said that the standard was to connect them in parallel. And based on you doing a lot of dry camping I would think this is how you would connect the second battery. Unlike others that dry camp we have an on board generator so we are not dependent solely on those batteries. Being new at this and not having done any dry camping to date , when the opportunity arises I would use the generator and/or alternate between the two, ie when batteries running down go on gen and recharge batteries. If for some reason I would find the batteries too low to kick over generator, my plan would be to hook up to the truck and start the generator and recharge the batteries. I was told that the truck batteries when connected to the Raptor were also in parallel. I know one day just after purchasing the Raptor I was playing around in the rig not knowing it was plugged into the truck I drained all the batteries (Raptor(2) and Truck(2)) obviously do not do that anymore. I Try to use my truck batteries (2) as my backup to start the generator.

I read some information here where others have added a third battery just for the generator start. As presented above at least based on my understanding I/we have that my connecting up to the truck. Of course with this method, the truck as to be around.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
canesfan

Thanks for the replies. My dealer asked if I wanted 1 or 2 batteries (1st was included, 2nd was additional), I guess I wasn't thinking about this at the time. So I can have them put another in when I go back in about a month. I also never really gave thought as to how the truck and trailer were interconnected. Have you actually tried to start the gen using only the truck? Hopefully I'll never have to but it would be a nicer option than jumper cables.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Can not remember if I actually had to start the generator from the hook up to the truck. As I mentioned in my previous post I did run down the truck battery playing around in the rig while connected to the truck. Meaning that all batteries were in parallel. Meaning that while driving the truck it is actually also charging the Raptor batteries. So the interconnect cable wire size is adequate to handle the charge amps from the truck alternator. Actual size of that interconnect wire wire?? Not sure what charge current is? My assumption was since in parallel I should be able to start generator from truck batteries via the interconnect cable.

As I think about it more, my only concern now would be the amps drawn from the generator starter?? If it is within the limits of the wire gauge of the interconnect cable I can not see why starting the generator via the interconnect cable would not work and be safe. Maybe we can get others to comment on these questions. On good thing about being a senior citizen you have these senior moments and lack of memory. I will see if II can dig up some specs. Also may be a question for the dealer when you go there. You may also want to read some posts on batteries regarding installing them in parallel, separate dedicated batteries for coach and generator etc.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 02-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
canesfan

I'll try to remember to ask about the hookup and if it would work to start the gen. Never really thought about it before. If you come up with something please post it here.

As for hooking up batteries, I'm ok with that. Last rig I had 2 6V golf cart batteries in series, rig before 2 12V batteries in parallel (I think that's how it goes).
Old 02-20-2014, 07:07 AM   #8
canesfan

I looked at the genset manual and it says something like "minimum CCA 450 @ 0*". Then I looked at my 1 battery and it is 405 CCA. Ok then, I'm surprised it actually starts. Granted it's not 0 here, thankfully, but still.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Canesfan; Just noticed you added "Folding Ladder" in your signature, OKAY RUB it in. Hate that old ladder design. BIG PITA !!!!

That Cold Cranking Amp (CCA) you indicated hopefully is nowhere near what is required to start the generator. Have had a little time to look up some more specs and talk to people, as usual more confusing comments. I will see if I can find some more information to either support this method or not to try it. May get a chance to try this method. Snow is finally starting to melt can start to see AC, vent covers, and some of the roof. If I go out there and batteries are down this would be a time to try it. Called local RV techs and they say no problem do it. Of course they may be low on work

I will keep you informed

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 02-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #10
canesfan

Paraptor, LOL, yes, rubbing it in. However I'm not sure I'd rather have a gravity fill over a folding ladder.