Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
kazuaki

Question about adding garage AC unit

We have a 2013 Raptor 381LEV. We are considering adding a 3rd A/C unit for the garage, replacing the ceiling vent/fan in there now. As other owners know, in the hot weather, the garage turns into an oven. We almost exclusively dry camp, so the A/C unit would be wired into a new circuit at the main panel and would be run by the generator. The plan would be to only run 2 of the 3 A/C units at a time. I understand that running the power wiring is going to be a nightmare, but I'm sure it's doable. My bigger concern is about supporting the weight of the AC unit. For those that have added one, did you have to add bracing in the roof or anything? Generally speaking, the roof on this thing doesn't feel super strong.

Opinions or advice?

Thanks
kazuaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Ratchet Thunderbolt

3rd A/C unit

I don't think you'll have a problem mounting the unit. We visited the Keystone factory and the whole roof is all 2X2's. Some act as roof joists and some as roof rafters. The rafters are bowed in the center to give the roof the arc curved look to run rain water. The factory runs wiring and ducting in-between rafters and joists. Once inside the roof you might be able to run your wiring through there. Your task should be interesting. Post some pictures and share your install.
Ratchet Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
kazuaki

Thanks for the reply. I know that running wiring down the outside walls would be really tough without removing the interior wall board (not sure what it's called). I'm thinking maybe run it in the ceiling forward to the bunk area, that's only a few feet away. From there maybe I can find a way down the interior wall or even down the corner inside the pantry.
kazuaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
lakebuster

Pull wire

Attach 12-2 or 14-2 wire to 12V fan motor wire in garage and pull backwards or forwards, whatever is easiest.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
abneynormal

i thought about it

my 3912 has similar issues. I have been able to live with it. idk how it would be toward Arizona in the summer. I have thought about adding a portable ac with the duct and fitting a window with the outlet. that way it would function in the bay or in the sleeper of my freightliner. that way I have more flexibility. also some come with a heater and they are less costly than a rooftop unit
Old 11-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
chain_dogg

This might help. It sure did me thanks to this forum

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showpos...13&postcount=6
chain_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #7
CaptainMike

I just bought a 2011 3912 that the previous owner installed an AC in the garage area where the original power vent was located.
The installation looks good. The 110vlt ac power was run down the inside wall and an outdoor male power box was installed in the wall outside near the bottom. The way this works is, a heavy duty extension cord is run to a 110vlt ac plug in from it making it totally independent from the trailer power system.
CaptainMike is offline   Reply With Quote