Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Loreal

Towing specs make my head spin....help!

We tow with a 2008 Ford F250 diesel crew cab 4 wd and purchased a 5 th wheel that has a gvwr of 12,400 lbs. Of course, the salesman said we would have no problem towing it but we just want to be sure. For the life of us, we don't know
How to figure it out! Pin weight is our major concern and of course downhill braking capabilities . Any input would be a great help! Thanks friends!
Old 09-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
therink

The truck will tow it, for sure. If you want to stay within the rated capacities of the truck, pin weight will be the concern with a large fiver and 3/4 ton truck.
Figure that a fiver with GVWR of 12,400 lbs (such as mine in signature below) will have a 20% loaded pin weight of 2400 or (as does mine). I am not sure what the GVWR of your F250 is. You will have to figure that out by loading truck as if you were camping (passengers, firewood, dog, fuel, firewood, add 150 lbs for hitch. Take to a scale and weigh it. Now add 2400 lbs for pin weight. You will likely exceed GVWR of your truck. You can find the GVWR rating for your truck on sticker in driver door jam. .
If you want a fiver with GVWR over 11000 I recommend a SRW 1 ton. My 2 cents.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Cnc_hemi

Tow

For sure your truck will tow it. Therink said all you need to know. I see peps pulling large 5ers all the time with 3/4 ton trucks. Lol I'm one of them. Now to know one thing the truck it self can handle it all day. Your trailer will do most of the breaking for ya. But making sure all your equipment is working right and is not in need of any repairs is a must. Most people have issues because of lack of maintance to their rigs:bearing, breaks, tires, ect. Not all trucks are equal in power but are very close in all three makes so two good things of adavice I can give you is replace any old tires even with good tread left. After 5 years replace. And air psi is important inflate to what the tires call for cold. Trailer tires take a beating with just springs to take the hits the side walls of the tires have to hold up. The other big one is speed on the road. With our high speed limits on the hwys today. It's fast for our trailers so back it down some and let the traffic go. Just a couple mph will do. If you where pulling with a Mack truck I would say just pull it how you want. But with me and for I'm sure most on this forum we pull with our everyday drivers. Good luck with new 5er and be safe.
Cnc_hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
tileman

As for your braking capabilities we have a exhaust brake on our dodge 3500 to me it makes a big diff coming down off a big downhill.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
airforceret

The diesel exhaust brakes are awesome and well worth the investment if you don't have one already. I've towed with and without one, and the difference is amazing.
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
theeyres

As others are saying, it is really pretty easy to figure if your truck will handle the pin weight by just adding up all the weights and checking that against your max weight as listed on the door jam or in your manual. Seems to me like you will be just OK, similar to what we pulled with our Chevy and Arctic Fox. You just have to take it easy. We never had a problem with braking. Our Chevy does not have an exhaust break but does have the tow mode where the transmission automatically shifts down when you touch the brake going down hill. It always handled the Fox just fine. Don't know about your Ford, though.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:01 AM   #7
fla-gypsy

What is the trucks GVWR and payload rating? These are your only concerns. If you have a 9200 or 9400 GVWR you may well exceed the payload capacity of the truck with that trailer.