Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #41
LuvsPalmTrees

I feel your pain flybouy. Our saga was about a lengthy as yours. I summarized because like you said "you can' make that stuff up". I will never deal with that dealership again. I choose a dealership that was not a big name, a Mom & Pop and I felt would give me a more personal feel. Nope, not so. Live and learn.

LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:13 AM   #42
notanlines

Flybouy, thanks for taking the time to tell your experience. Deals like that are the reason I donít go around armed.

2017 Mobile Suites
20K Reese slider
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #43
thatdjguy

Finally some progress and believe it or not, it came after I tracked down their facebook page and threatened negative reviews/publicity. Long story short, the damage I caused from not winterizing properly will cost about $3k to fix--that's material and labor. That addresses everything but repairing the soft floor--they kept telling me that would be thousands...when it really doesn't sound like it. There are three major spots of softness--beside each side of the master, and by the entrance. They told me that under the laminate is a thin layer of what is similar to laun flooring. He told me that under that is an enclosed foam subfloor that can not really be damage by water...and to get into and replace that would mean the entire floor of the coach. Anyway, they told me to take up the vinyl and soft floor and simply replace it with something from lowes...some sort of pre-fabbed floor.

I'm not sure that I buy that, but there is another shop around that's not big, not corporate. I'll see if they can offer solutions. All I've got from this big shop is excuses and reasons why they cant fix the floor. Beyond frustrating.

To put a bow on all of this--We are sucker-customers. We thought "hey, let's buy a camper" and that's what we did. Never towed a thing in my life--no clue about these things and as somebody said previously--we thought we bought a maintenance free home on wheels. It's cost us a ton but to be honest, the memories we've made have been worth it...even with these headaches. We'll figure something with the floor--even if I just throw a sheet of plywood over the softspots...at this point, it doesn't have to look good, and we'll go make some more.

Thanks for everybody's help.
thatdjguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #44
LuvsPalmTrees

Hey thatdjguy - not too bad. I am so glad that you worked this out and can move on and make more memories. That is what is most important. We all learn from our mistakes, and we all make them. Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:08 PM   #45
flybouy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdjguy View Post
Finally some progress and believe it or not, it came after I tracked down their facebook page and threatened negative reviews/publicity. Long story short, the damage I caused from not winterizing properly will cost about $3k to fix--that's material and labor. That addresses everything but repairing the soft floor--they kept telling me that would be thousands...when it really doesn't sound like it. There are three major spots of softness--beside each side of the master, and by the entrance. They told me that under the laminate is a thin layer of what is similar to laun flooring. He told me that under that is an enclosed foam subfloor that can not really be damage by water...and to get into and replace that would mean the entire floor of the coach. Anyway, they told me to take up the vinyl and soft floor and simply replace it with something from lowes...some sort of pre-fabbed floor.

I'm not sure that I buy that, but there is another shop around that's not big, not corporate. I'll see if they can offer solutions. All I've got from this big shop is excuses and reasons why they cant fix the floor. Beyond frustrating.

To put a bow on all of this--We are sucker-customers. We thought "hey, let's buy a camper" and that's what we did. Never towed a thing in my life--no clue about these things and as somebody said previously--we thought we bought a maintenance free home on wheels. It's cost us a ton but to be honest, the memories we've made have been worth it...even with these headaches. We'll figure something with the floor--even if I just throw a sheet of plywood over the softspots...at this point, it doesn't have to look good, and we'll go make some more.

Thanks for everybody's help.
I like your attitude! Long, long time ago we had a Cabana hybrid. I think it was a 22' , had dual axles. The floor was spongy but did not show any signs of water damage. My fix was a couple boxes of prefinished hardwood flooring. I just installed over the original floor and was good for the couple of years that we had it.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #46
thatdjguy

is there any reason that simply installing flooring over the current stuff is a bad idea...aside from the look?
Old 09-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #47
Ksupaul

Thatdjguy

Last half of your last paragraph says it all. Live and learn, fix what you can do you can get back out there to the memories!!
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:34 AM   #48
flybouy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdjguy View Post
is there any reason that simply installing flooring over the current stuff is a bad idea...aside from the look?
I think the important point is not to cover mold or rot. On my Cabana back in the day that I covered over the floor spongey but was not water damaged. I guess it was poor engineering and a poor diet on my part that was the issue. I pulled back the linoleum, inspector from the underside, and found no leaks or stains. Going over water damage and not addressing it would only work if were going to deceive some poor unsuspecting person and pass on your problems at your gain. Personally I couldn't live with myself if I did that. YMMV
Old 09-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #49
thatdjguy

I think I'm leaning on taking up the soft part, spraying it down with bleach and water, and then covering it with plywood. My wallet needs a break! Perhaps I'll convince my pop to put a new flooring product down next spring.

Thanks everybody for speaking up and going easy on a total idiot!
Old 09-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #50
JRTJH
Site Team

Killing any mold that might be in the trailer is essential to having a relatively healthy trailer after the new floor is installed. When Katrina and Rita hit the Gulf Coast, thousands of homes were flooded. Most people found that simply spraying things with bleach would not kill the mold. It kills what it contacts, but as the bleach dissipates, the mold that wasn't in contact with the bleach will overgrow and things will be "just like before treatment" in a couple months. There are many "mold removal kits" that are much more effective and more important, permanent solutions to killing mold.

Do some research before you buy a gallon of Clorox and consider the job done. It's not that simple in a trailer where mold has started in the floor and moved up the walls. Or where it's started in the walls and moved down to rot the floor.....

It's not an impossible task, just be sure that you do your research and do it right before you cover it up.... Good Luck !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote