Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
kraftee

Predator 3500 with Extended Run kit

So, after successfully using my excellent Predator 3500 Inverter Generator on several trips, I realized that it would be REALLY nice not to have to refuel the unit every 5-6 hours. So I bought the extended run fuel tank kit advertised on ebay with hose, filter, squeeze ball, fittings and billet fuel cap (I already had my own brand new 6 1/2 gallon "outboard" tank.) The company I bought the kit from is MRI-Denver and they included fairly detailed instructions with the kit.

However, there is a side note on the instructions that says, "In the Predator 3500, there is a vent at the top of the tank that goes to the charcoal canister that then goes to the intake. When the internal tank tops off it dumps fuel into the canister and it chokes out the generator. Disconnect the tank vent from the canister and cap it off." But there is NO mention as to where this hose might be found or how to "...cap it off."

After doing some quick internet research, I heard horror stories about generator cases filling with fuel and causing massive cleanup and run problems - not to mention fire hazards. Interestingly, NO ONE seemed to be able to supply any good info or pictures as to where this hose was that needed to capped off! There are a LOT of people asking for that specific info - including me. When queried about how to find the hose, the response was always this nebulous, "You'll find it, it's very obvious." Well it's not to me.

So, armed with my trusty LED flashlight, I decided to dive into the inner workings of the Predator. First thing was to pull off the side cover of the unit. This is the big red cover that also contains the oil fill door. After loosening the two caged phillips screws, you lift the little rubber fuel overflow flap at the top of the panel and then pull the panel towards you. There are some snaps that come undone, and the cover is loose. THIS is where I got confused last time. Because it is CROWDED in there - and nothing is labeled. No tag reading, "This is the vent hose you are looking for."

Eventually I figured it out. If anyone else is interested, here's how to find the vent hose: Looking into the left hand side, you will see the large, rectangular, silver valve cover for the engine. It's very easy to identify since it has the letters "OHV" embossed right on to it - bigger than life. Just above the top right hand corner of the valve cover, you will see the spark plug cap. It's the black plastic round thing that goes through a rubber grommet. Just above the spark plug and slightly to the right you will see two black rubber hoses with silver "squeeze" clamps that are plugged into the side of a black plastic box. This box is the elusive charcoal canister.

Now, the BOTTOM, SMALLER of the two hoses plugged into this box is your vent hose! To test this, use pliers to squeeze the clamp and slide it back along the hose. Then wiggle the hose free. Now, open your fuel tank cap. Blow strongly through the hose. You should easily hear the air whooshing out of the vent pipe inside the tank.

You must cap off, or clamp off this hose in order to use the extended run tank kit. The vent on the extended run tank now becomes the fuel tank system vent - since the internal generator tank will stay full all the time. It is worth noting, that if you wish to use the generator without the extended run tank, you will need to unclamp or uncap the vent hose again. Another option is to vent the standard Predator fuel cap. This is the route I am taking. I have posted a couple pics to help find the vent hose. You can see, in the second photo, that I have successfully capped the hose. I'll try to post a couple more of my modified fuel cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1238.jpg
Views:	1302
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	18562   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1237.jpg
Views:	1960
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	18561