Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2018, 01:56 AM   #61
Sunnysidebeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
I would replace Carlisle and Maxxis on your list with the newer Goodyear Endurance trailer tire. It has become the new go to ST tire.

Chris
Not a 5th er but the new Goodyear Endurance is what I run on my Keystone Bullet
Sunnysidebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:42 AM   #62
Javi

I think the rise in prominence by the Goodyear Endurance is more a product of marketing than anything else... My Discount Tire immediately stopped stocking the Carlisle and went to special order the first week the Endurance hit the market. Prior to that, the Carlisle was their go to tire for trailer fitment.. Makes you go hummmmm…
Can you say... incentives...

I actually have one GY Endurance 235/80R-16 on my trailer as I write this and after approximately 2000 miles I see nothing disturbing about it.. In fact I'm entertaining the prospect of replacing the other three Carlisle before we head out for our fall camping trips with four new Endurance tires and move the used to the spare.

One thing I've noted about the Endurance is that the speed rating is 81 mph but the load limit dropped 100 pounds (3420 lbs.) to accomplish that.. The Carlisle is 75 mph and 3520 lbs.... Another thing that makes you go hummmmm..

Like the load thing the MPH isn't a big factor to me as I'm not going that fast unless I'm being chased...
Old 09-10-2018, 03:47 AM   #63
Frederick

I was ready to install Maxxis 12 Ply and my rv dealer talked me into towmax 12 P
and so far they have been a good tire have taken short trips and one long one on them no problems going to the Black hills this weekend about 500 miles I hve a 40ft Alpine which is about the same weight as yours
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:14 AM   #64
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I think the rise in prominence by the Goodyear Endurance is more a product of marketing than anything else... My Discount Tire immediately stopped stocking the Carlisle and went to special order the first week the Endurance hit the market. Prior to that, the Carlisle was their go to tire for trailer fitment.. Makes you go hummmmm…
Can you say... incentives...

I actually have one GY Endurance 235/80R-16 on my trailer as I write this and after approximately 2000 miles I see nothing disturbing about it.. In fact I'm entertaining the prospect of replacing the other three Carlisle before we head out for our fall camping trips with four new Endurance tires and move the used to the spare.

One thing I've noted about the Endurance is that the speed rating is 81 mph but the load limit dropped 100 pounds (3420 lbs.) to accomplish that.. The Carlisle is 75 mph and 3520 lbs.... Another thing that makes you go hummmmm..

Like the load thing the MPH isn't a big factor to me as I'm not going that fast unless I'm being chased...
Goodyear has a ST235/85R16E rated to 3640, and maybe more honest than Carlisle with their ratings. Remember Carlisle was the leader in increasing the speed ratings! I still do not understand the magic that changed the high weight ratings based on speed restrictions of 65MPH, that released the industry to up the speed ratings without decreasing the load ratings.

The 3520 rating was created a few years back to meet the 7K axle requirement, without having to de-rate the axles to 6750 like Montana did. Mission or one of the others actual took produced tires and re-branded them with the higher rating. That is the whole issue with ST tires, they do not conform to industry standards like passenger and LT tires do. Take a LT235/85R16E rated to 3042. It does not matter which company makes it, it was have that same rating. Even more robust tires like the XPS Rib and the R250 carry the same rating of 3042.

And yes it a good idea for you to get the same tires on each end of an axle.

Why are you spending the extra dollars for GY tires when there are other ST that are much cheaper? I think earlier you said you where going to replace trailer tires every two years. MAYBE it is cheaper to buy a tire that you can run 4-6 years?

Chris
Old 09-10-2018, 05:23 AM   #65
Javi

Quote:
Goodyear has a ST235/85R16E rated to 3640, and my be more honest than Carlisle with their ratings.

The 3520 rating was created a few years back to meet the 7K axle requirement, without having to de-rate the axles to 6750 like Montana did. Mission or one of the others actual took produced tires and re-branded them with the higher rating. That is the whole issue with ST tires, they do not conform to industry standards like passenger and LT tires do. Take a LT235/85R16E rated to 3042. It does not matter which company makes it, it was have that same rating. Even more robust tires like the XPS Rib and the R250 carry the same rating of 3042.

And yes it a good idea for you to get the same tires on each end of an axle.

Why are you spending the extra dollars for GY tires when there are other ST that are much cheaper? I think earlier you said you where going to replace trailer tires every two years. MAYBE it is cheaper to buy a tire that you can run 4-6 years?

Chris
Again with the broken record about replacing ST tires with LT even though it is against the law/rule or policy of the industry...

The only reason I'm considering the Endurance is that DT stocks it in most of its stores (see above post) and so if I have another fencing staple incident I can match the other tires... The reason I have 3 Carlisle and 1 Endurance currently... DT would have had to order another Carlisle and I'd have had to postpone a trip until it got there..
Old 09-10-2018, 05:26 AM   #66
Snoking

Quote:
Again with the broken record about replacing ST tires with LT even though it is against the law/rule or policy of the industry...
Do you even read posts before replying? I said nothing in that post about replacing a ST with a LT.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:30 AM   #67
Javi

Quote:
Do you even read posts before replying? I said nothing in that post about replacing a ST with a LT.
And you think continually referencing your opinion that the LT tires are superior in all ways to the ST tire isn't the same thing...
Old 09-10-2018, 05:32 AM   #68
ChuckS

It’s not a broken record.. the simple fact is that the stock Tire King ST 235/80x16 tires that Keystone installed on my 2014 Allpine won’t handle the load.. the very next year same trailer came out with a 235/85x16 G rated tire on the app same Sendel wheels... both years the wheels are rated at 110 psi and 3750 load range..

I replaced the under rated tires with G rated LT235/85x16 14 ply steel belted tires that are labeled for trailer use..

And I am not worried about weight , heat build up, and most importantly blowouts...

Tell me why Keystone changed tires in one year on same model...it’s because they knew the crap E rated tires would not hold up.. now every Alpine fifth wheel they make has 14 ply tires...it’s what should have been on the Alpine and Montana series fifth wheels from day one... No E rated tire on a Montana or Alpine is gonna hold up and I don’t care what the Industry says

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:50 AM   #69
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
It’s not a broken record.. the simple fact is that the stock Tire King ST 235/80x16 tires that Keystone installed on my 2014 Allpine won’t handle the load.. the very next year same trailer came out with a 235/85x16 G rated tire on the app same Sendel wheels... both years the wheels are rated at 110 psi and 3750 load range..

I replaced the under rated tires with G rated LT235/85x16 14 ply steel belted tires that are labeled for trailer use..

And I am not worried about weight , heat build up, and most importantly blowouts...

Tell me why Keystone changed tires in one year on same model...it’s because they knew the crap E rated tires would not hold up.. now every Alpine fifth wheel they make has 14 ply tires...it’s what should have been on the Alpine and Montana series fifth wheels from day one... No E rated tire on a Montana or Alpine is gonna hold up and I don’t care what the Industry says
Yep, the broken record is the fact that this stuff has been going on with manufacturers for years, not with those aware of it.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:54 AM   #70
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

I've been looking at Alpines lately and they do have ST235/85R16G however they are not LT tires..
Old 09-10-2018, 06:00 AM   #71
Snoking

Quote:
I've been looking at Alpines lately and they do have ST235/85R16G however they are not LT tires..
The Sailun LRG S637's were originally LTs, and a couple years ago with relabeled them as ST so that they did not have to pay as high of import tax on them.

He mostly has some of the earlier ones. Chris
Old 09-10-2018, 08:00 AM   #72
travelin texans

When I ordered mine in '13 the OEM tires were GY E rated Marathons (on a 16.5k 5er, how stupid was that), I ordered the upgrade to GY Gs, now the same 5ers come standard with GY 17.5" H rated tires.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #73
CWtheMan

You want 16" steel cased trailer tires? Here's a list of the two most popular sizes in load capacity (LRG).

ST235/80R16 LRG

Carlisle
Advanta
Westlake
CoPartner
Hercules H-901
Sampson
Sailun
Advance GL825T
Tow-Master
Gladiator Q25
Rainier
Zenna

ST235/85R16 LRG

Carlisle
Advanta
Westlake
CoPartner
Hercules H-901
Sailun
HawkWax
Noble
Provider
Cargo Max
Milestar
Heartland

I'll bet, if you do a real deep search, you'll double that number.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #74
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
You want 16" steel cased trailer tires? Here's a list of the two most popular sizes in load capacity (LRG).

ST235/80R16 LRG

Carlisle
Advanta
Westlake
CoPartner
Hercules H-901
Sampson
Sailun
Advance GL825T
Tow-Master
Gladiator Q25
Rainier
Zenna

ST235/85R16 LRG

Carlisle
Advanta
Westlake
CoPartner
Hercules H-901
HawkWax
Noble
Provider
Cargo Max
Milestar
Heartland

I'll bet, if you do a real deep search, you'll double that number.
Sailun s637 comes in both sizes.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #75
CWtheMan

Quote:
Sailun s637 comes in both sizes.
Fixed it.

My goodness, look what I found, a Chris PIX. It came from somewhere on the net, in a tire blog.

Looks like the axle spacing on that trailer was around 31 or 32".

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=35008
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #76
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Fixed it.

My goodness, look what I found, a Chris PIX. It came from somewhere on the net, in a tire blog.

Looks like the axle spacing on that trailer was around 31 or 32".

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=35008
Yep, riding high on those Ribs that I ran for 6.5 years. Put them on and never looked back. Those are 235/85R16E. 33" maybe a little more. Had 1.5-2" between the tires.

That was the fall of 2006, I retired that year the end of June at 62. Picture was at Ocean City, Or, at first part of a 6 week Western States trip.

Chris
Old 09-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #77
JRTJH
Site Team

The aluminum flatbed trailer I just bought (6 months ago) came standard with "nitrogen filled radial tires". In the owner's manual/warranty documentation, the trailer manufacturer provides a 5 year roadside service contract and a 4 year tire warranty. According to the literature (I'll believe it when it works, if I need it) all I have to do is contact Lionhead Tire Distributor's 24 hour roadside assistance service and inform them of my location and they'll dispatch a tire service to repair/replace the tires as necessary..... The glitch ??? Trailer manufacturer says 4 years, tire manufacturer says 1 year.... We'll hopefully never find out who is right..... Since it's a 3500 lb single axle flatbed trailer, I'm not really too worried about overloading it. Maximum I can imagine is 2600 pounds, that's the Slingshot, spare tire, tie downs and cover. And, yes, this is the trailer with the "nitrogen filled tires" that I've added air to before every trip.....

Now, I always carry a spare anyway, certainly not because I question such a "good and valuable warranty" but primarily because until this past year, I've never heard of Lionhead tires and don't know that they're any better than TowMax, Trailer King and MayPop..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #78
TJTx

IMO, the above recommendations are fine. I would go with only ST tires with the best load capacity. More importantly, I would invest in a quality TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). I went with the TireMinder Smart TPMS. These systems will warn you of issues with your tires before you you have a blowout (psi, temperature, and changes in these metrics). Without these systems you could get a leak and over-heat your tire(s) causing internal damage and you will probably not see any external damage until the blowout.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:31 AM   #79
mazboy

generally, in the montana forum, we are recommending the goodyear G614 or the Saliun G rated tires.

of course there are lots of others out there. But regardless, get a 'G' rated tire.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:18 AM   #80
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTx View Post
IMO, the above recommendations are fine. I would go with only ST tires with the best load capacity. More importantly, I would invest in a quality TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). I went with the TireMinder Smart TPMS. These systems will warn you of issues with your tires before you you have a blowout (psi, temperature, and changes in these metrics). Without these systems you could get a leak and over-heat your tire(s) causing internal damage and you will probably not see any external damage until the blowout.
"I would go with only ST tires with the best load capacity."

Size for size even ST tires have similar load ratings. If one has a higher rating it may be a more mythical rating.

A better recommendation might be to go with a noted manufacturer like Goodyear vs some chinese company that you have never heard of.

The brand new Goodride ST's that I took off our new Laredo looked and felt sturdy, however one can not see inside a tire casing. I just felt that I would look back a lot less with the trailer riding on GY Endurances. Chris

Tags
tires