Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
skeenut

Almost new 195RB owner

Hello to all,
We're about to pull the trigger on a '14 Keystone Passport 195RB.
Went to our local RV dealer, Garick RV in Jersey, a few days ago to look at a Jayco 23B hybrid to do a last comparison with what we had pretty much decided on, a used Roo 19. I liked the slide out roominess and greater storage in the 23B or the Rockwood 23SS hybrid.
But then we looked at the hard sided 195RB. It has fantastic storage and no slides or fold-outs to worry about leaking or malfunctioning. Quick set-up and take-down. And I like the glass shower enclosure...even while I'm concerned about it's life expectancy over the road. And a walk around queen bed for us grandparents.
For similar weight I feel like I'm giving up some square footage but gaining ease of use and dependability. So we put a deposit on it with a right of first refusal while we take care of some other business and I ruminate a bit.
I like the "lightness" of the 195RB a lot. We'd like to take a fair amount with us: Our dog and his stuff, 200# Hobie trimaran kayak on the roof and two bikes and their attendant crap in the truck, fishing stuff, generator, grill, chairs, add-a-room...you get the idea. It adds up.
Our TV is an '05 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Short Bed 4WD V8 5.3L with factory tow package. Garick is going to install and set-up a Reese Pro WDH w/friction anti-sway and some sort of BC.
RVW is all over me to save about $1K to have the same rig and accessories delivered to me by them, (no hitch and BC install and set-up though,) and then enjoy all the benefits of their nationwide service network of dealers. Won't I get that same support from Keystone under warranty?
This is our first travel trailer so I'm WAY over analyzing this decision.
Anyhow, just waiting for a house refinance to get finished before I get the loan application moving on the 195RB. We'd like to get this done and a few shakedown weekends under our belt in preparation for a trip to Fort Lauderdale to visit our granddaughter, daughter and son-inlaw and his family for Thanksgiving. So we're pretty much moving ahead...
Wow, I am looooong winded.
I'll have tons of questions and love input!
Thanks,
Jeff, Carole and Ace the mini-poodle
skeenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to hearing about your new RV and the travels you've got planned. Also, good luck with the house refinancing. It's always a "hassle" to have to wait for something else when doing a big loan like that. But in the end, it almost always works out.

As for your two possible deals and saving $1000. By the time you have a hitch installed and a BC wired and the rig adjusted, you're probably not going to save very much at all. In addition, if you buy local, you have a dealer available to help you with any warranty service. If you have your RV "towed in" and have to rely on that dealership's "nationwide service network" Where is the closest service department in the network? There's much to be said about having a local dealer to rely on. Plus, Keystone has recently changed the wording in their warranty to pretty much say that you can take your RV to any Keystone dealer for service. Whether that really works out or not remains to be seen, but it's a step in the right direction. Of course after that first "fast 12 months" the warranty is over, but if you buy locally, you'll still have that dealer support to rely on. With the "nationwide service centers" maybe you will, maybe you won't.....

Anyway, I'm sure you'll figure it out and all will be well. Enjoy your new RV wherever you get it

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Jeff & Family -

First, welcome to the forum and I understand you being anxious to "get moving" and your effort to make sure things are done right at the same time.

Can't help you with the floor plan as it is a very personal thing and what suits me, the next guy or someone else really doesn't matter too much. It's what works best for you and your family that counts. So no comment here.

Regarding Keystone's warranty and the support that you might expect, there are a couple of things you might want to know.

First, I would suggest that you go to the Keystone website and find a link to their Owner's Manual and read what it says what is covered and what isn't covered under the terms of their warranty. The manuals are all generic so it doesn't matter which one you choose to read.

Secondly, there have been some issues arise whereby some Keystone dealers will not perform warranty work on a unit which was not purchased from them. They are under no obligation to do this but for some strange reason, some dealers would rather send away a potential customer rather than do warranty work for them. The Keystone dealer network is made up of all independent dealers most of whom will do warranty work for any customer but keep in mind that they are not obliged to. If they do agree to do it, your work order may go to the bottom of the pile while work is done on RV's belonging to their purchasing customers.

As JRTJH pointed out in his post, there seems to be a move by Keystone to "encourage" dealers to perform warranty work regardless of where the unit was purchased.

Perhaps one of the most important decisions you can make is to find a dealer who believes in customer service, is competent and values you as a customer. There are some who, after they have your $$$$ don't really care if they see you again. Make sure you buy from someone who wants to see you come back for servicing, parts, advice or whatever.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
KJcachers

Considering the build quality on RVs these days you may want to consider the extended warranty at purchase as well. We had a front wall replaced at 11 months due to a bad factory seam. No problem under warranty but 2 months later and who knows?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
skeenut

Well we did it!
We'll be picking up our '14 195RB from Garick RV next Wednesday.
They're supplying and are going to install the BC and a Reese Pro hitch and friction anti-sway for us.
We're not new to car camping, but this is our first TT, so we're a combination of excited/nervous. Mainly excited.
We'll do at least one, I hope two, local shakedown overnights before our inaugural trip from Jersey down to Fort Lauderdale for Thanksgiving.
Anyhow, stay tuned if you like to answer newbie questions.
skeenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
MikeLaura210

I wouldn't buy a roll of toilet paper from Garick RV.
MikeLaura210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

MikeLaura210,

I'm not sure why you chose to post your response in a 2+ month old thread, but would you care to elaborate on "why" you wouldn't buy anything from this dealership? Your post, as it stands, with no background information or explanation, doesn't give the reader anything needed to determine what warning (or other information) you're trying to convey to them.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #8
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeenut View Post
Well we did it!
We'll be picking up our '14 195RB from Garick RV next Wednesday.
They're supplying and are going to install the BC and a Reese Pro hitch and friction anti-sway for us.
We're not new to car camping, but this is our first TT, so we're a combination of excited/nervous. Mainly excited.
We'll do at least one, I hope two, local shakedown overnights before our inaugural trip from Jersey down to Fort Lauderdale for Thanksgiving.
Anyhow, stay tuned if you like to answer newbie questions.
Congrats Sounds like you did a lot of research and it paid off Post up some pics.
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
195rb, garick, hobie