Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
Flynntom

Winter Storage

How should I prepare my Bullet 287QBS for storage inside with a dirt floor?
Flynntom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Air up the tires to maximum pressure indicated on the sidewalls, back the trailer into the space with the tires resting on a barrier. Either plywood, 2x8's or rubber so the tires are "insulated from moisture" and unhitch. Most people would recommend not to extend the jacks or stabilizers (if they are crank down type). If you have the automatic leveling system, then it's up to you. Remember that if you remove your batteries from the trailer for storage (recommended) you will not be able to move your trailer in the event of an emergency unless you reconnect the batteries. That's the reason I recommend not extending the automatic leveling system and removing the batteries.

Other than that, it's just a simple winterization and protection from mice and chipmunks.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
Bama Hammer

Why is it recommended to not extend the crank down style stabilizers?
Bama Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:12 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The stabilizers are not designed to support the trailer weight but only to stabilize the trailer during use. If you "crank them down" and lose air pressure in a tire or two during the months in storage, as the trailer gets lower to the ground it can damage the stabilizers, destroy them or on lightweight trailers, possibly twist the frame causing permanent damage.

Of course, if you prefer to have the trailer "stabilized during storage" so you can reduce the weight on the tires, then "jack it up" and put blocks or appropriately sized jacks/jack stands under it..... Just don't rely on the stabilizers to do a job they aren't rated to do.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

As John mentioned, the "stabilizers" just aren't meant to support the weight of the trailer...at all. They just try to keep the rocking and sway to a minimum. I learned the hard way; loading up to leave a site, forgot about the stabilizers (in a hurry, bad weather) and started lowering the tongue jack to hit the hitch. My wife always walks around double checking stuff and I heard her yell to stop. I had not lowered the jack 3-4" I suspect when she called out so I stopped. Just that little bit of drop had buckled the front stabilizers due to my stupidity. I rectified that at a cost of about $670. So, if you want something to support the trailer use something other than the stabilizers IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, winter