Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #1
Pjengledow

2018 Passport 2400BH

Just purchased the 2400BH. Does anyone have any issues and solutions I should be aware of before I take it to the road? My tow vehicle is a 2012 Nissan Pathfinder 2WD Siver addition 4.0 liter. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.
Pjengledow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
Logan X

Welcome to the forum!

Since you asked, you might want to double check the towing capacity of your pathfinder. It looks like the gross vehicle weight of your trailer is close to 7000 pounds and I think the maximum a pathfinder can tow is 6000 pounds.

You have to take the weight of your fully loaded tow vehicle, gross vehicle weight rating, and add it to your trailer’s fully loaded weight rating. That number is your gross combined weight. The gross combined weight cannot exceed the gross combined weight rating for your tow vehicle, GCWR.

Also, you cannot exceed your tow vehicles gross vehicle weight rating, GVWR. This is your vehicles dry weight plus the maximum payload capacity. Your payload capacity is on a sticker inside the drivers door. This is the weight of all occupants and cargo, including hitch weight, your tow vehicle can carry.

You also may want to consider the relatively short wheel base of a pathfinder towing a 27 foot long trailer.

Are you planning on using weight distribution and sway control?

I apologize if this is information overload
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #3
Pjengledow

Thanks for responding ... yes I am using weight distribution and sway control. I didn’t notice any handling issues, but I only had it on the road for 50 miles. I am also installing Air Lift rear suspension air spring kit which is advertised to provide an additional 1000 pounds to my GVWR. Will that help the situation?
Pjengledow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
Logan X

Do you know the payload number, gross vehicle weight rating, and gross combined weight rating for your tow vehicle?
Old 12-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #5
SummitPond

PJ

Welcome to the forum. Are you in Mt. Vernon, IL, VA, GA, IN or WA?

I guess this is as good a place as any to throw this out; my "equation" for what Logan X is talking about.

Truck Curb Wt + Truck Payload + GVWR of trailer < GCWR of Truck.

The Truck Curb Wt is the GVCR of the Truck minus its payload capacity (see doorpost sticker).

The Truck Payload is the gas, passengers and stuff you put in the truck.

Ken

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I am afraid the information will be overload and I apologize.

Your trailer is too much for your Pathfinder. You bought a 6800 lb. trailer. MAXIMUM tow weight for your Pathfinder is 6000 lbs. The tongue will be over 700# full loaded. What kind of receiver is on the vehicle? It probably won't support that weight. What is the payload of the pathfinder? Less than 1000? The tongue will almost take up the entire payload of the vehicle. And, maybe more important, you're talking about putting a 28' trailer behind a Pathfinder????

I know this isn't what you want to hear but you need to hear it before something bites you. That 28' trailer will take that Pathfinder for "a walk" anytime it wants to. You've got the 4.0 6 cylinder; trying to pull 6800 lbs. plus family and gear?? I've got a more powerful (and stiffer) 17 4runner I wouldn't dream of putting that behind it. You will hate it, if you don't just destroy the tranny in your vehicle.

I would suggest you get the numbers off the placards inside the driver door of the vehicle and post - payload (carrying capacity - may be on separate card), gvw, gawr (front and rear) along with gcvwr (if it's there). You can then start to see where you are at.

You bought a bunkhouse so I assume you have little ones. You need to look into this now before you take them anywhere with that combo. You can choose to do what you want but you REALLY need to know what you are getting into.

Edit: airbags, new sway bars, add a leafs etc. do absolutely nothing to raise any of your weight ratings - they just make an unsafe vehicle "feel" better.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #7
Logan X

Below is the link for the Nissan towing guide. It says on page 25 that the GCWR is 1100 pounds with 6000 pounds of towing and 600 pound maximum hitch weight.

https://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpu...owingGuide.pdf

Below is a link for the trailer specs. The gross vehicle weight of your trailer is 6800 pounds and the dry hitch weight is 515 pounds.

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...assport/specs/

In my opinion, you are really pushing the capability of your tow vehicle. Obviously, this is just my opinion and I am only trying to provide helpful information.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #8
Logan X

[QUOTE=sourdough;318370]I am afraid the information will be overload and I apologize.

I see what you did there. Good one!

I agree with Danny, your trailer is too much for your tow vehicle.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:37 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

You might want to take a look at this thread: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=35905 I'm not trying to scare you, but comparing your Pathfinder to this Armada, both towing "nearly the same trailer".... Well, that should give you reason to reconsider. It's not a matter of "can my Pathfinder make it roll forward" Yes, it can, under ideal situation.... The questions you need to ask yourself are, "Can my Pathfinder reasonably control and stop this trailer under adverse conditions?" The answer to that is, in most experienced RV'er's opinion: NO, you'll be in trouble and may not be able to maintain control of your rig....

The rest, essentially, is up to you and whether you're willing to place your family and those who share the road with you in a position of danger... Only you can answer that question, none of us are in your shoes......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:56 PM   #10
travelin texans

Well I'm also going to pile on!
There's 2 things wrong with your combo;
#1 tow vehicle TOO small, #2 rv is TOO big!!
Good luck!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:41 AM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

This video is very good at helping you answer your question and understand where the posted comments are coming from. It's worth the watch.

https://rvsafety.com/rv-education/ma...ks-to-trailers

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #12
Carrottop

I have a Passport 2510GT which is similar to your 2500 bunkhouse without the bunks. I have a 2015 Armada and I have towed a couple of times when my F150 was not available and while it does the job it was not a pleasant experience. Keep in mind the Armada is built on a full Titan truck frame with a V8 and class IV hitch with factory airbags and would be unpleasant to pull. With a pathfinder that is on a unibody chassis and a V6 and class III hitch you are asking for problems and potentially creating an unsafe situation for your family and others on the road.
2015 Nissan Armada 5.6
2021 Keystone Residence 40FLFT
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #13
KSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjengledow View Post
Thanks for responding ... yes I am using weight distribution and sway control. I didn’t notice any handling issues, but I only had it on the road for 50 miles. I am also installing Air Lift rear suspension air spring kit which is advertised to provide an additional 1000 pounds to my GVWR. Will that help the situation?
Did anyone already chime in and say the airbags won't give you additional capacity? They'll lift the rear, but don't shift weight or magically improve the trucks capabilities.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #14
Bama Hammer

A little late but I’ll add to the topic as I have the 2400BH as well (2017 year). My primary tow vehicle was a Tahoe. I had the heavy duty tow package with good weight dist and sway control. My chief complaint was having a TV with a short wheelbase, which will be similar to your vehicle. Towing in fair weather was no problem, but as soon as the winds picked up or you had heavy 18 wheeler traffic the trailer would push my Tahoe a bit. I will echo the caution of just because a vehicle may be able to “pull” a trailer doesn’t make it stable or safe in any adverse conditions.

On a separate note, we love our Passport. It’s a great “little, big trailer” as my wife has called it. Plenty of room for us and the kiddos but not terrible to get into small campgrounds like national parks. You may find the workmanship is a little wanting but if your decently handy it’s nothing a couple saturdays in the workshop can’t handle. Happy camping and enjoy your new rig!
Bama Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #15
lcarver02

You can't really raise the GVW or GCW of a truck. You are way overloaded. Good luck, go slow and take no mountains on. Get a full size truck. Just advice.
lcarver02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2400bh, passport