Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
CHIEF MK

Deep cell and Regular battery

I was just wondering if I could hook up a regular car battery to the existing deep cell trailer battery in parallel. I mean I know I could do it, but would it do any harm to the charging system or anything else you could think of ? I have a good spare AGM type battery, and it was just something I've been think about.

I really will probably never go boon docking, but it would be a way to use this battery.
CHIEF MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
Lost

I copied this off the internet... Hope it helps
•A car's battery is designed to provide a very large amount of current for a short period of time. This surge of current is needed to turn the engine over during starting. Once the engine starts, the alternator provides all the power that the car needs, so a car battery may go through its entire life without ever being drained more than 20 percent of its total capacity. Used in this way, a car battery can last a number of years.
•A deep cycle battery is designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time. A deep cycle battery can provide a surge when needed, but nothing like the surge a car battery can. A deep cycle battery is also designed to be deeply discharged over and over again (something that would ruin a car battery very quickly).
Old 11-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
Justvisiting2day

Thumbs down Batteries

Do not inter-exchange the batteries. The lower class will plull down th ebetter one and possibly ruin it. Also you will lose "most likely" The positive action of your RV battery. And maybe even ruin it totally.

I would suggest, if you do not boon dock that often, goto a Harbor freigh tools and pick up a couple of the smaller solar panels and hook them in tandem , use them to help your RV battery.
I use panels and most times they hold out very well.

Good luck and do not put these two together. You will be disapointed. Most times if you want dual batteries, it is most wise to get two batteries at the same dealer at the same time of the same size.
That would be to your best advantage..
Well thats all you all.
Chuck
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
CHIEF MK

Ok, Thanks.
CHIEF MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
SamBradley

Definitely a possible hazard when you start mixing up battery types. In my previous life, it was not uncommon to see 24 battery banks "melt down" when a single battery went bad. And I have never seen a bank made up from different types or brands.

Also, when a battery bank starts to fade, ALL of the batteries were always changed out at the same time.

Go on down to costco and pick up a couple of the deep cycle 6 volt golf cart batteries they have there.. I think they were 75$ a piece.. Then you wire them in series instead of parallel, its a cheap and reliable upgrade.

-Sam
SamBradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

ALL GREAT ADVICE! i'll add my 2 cents...Don't mix battery types and they should be same make and age! you won't be sorry.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
MarkS

If you want to use your extra battery, just run your trailer battery, by its self, until it is 1/2 discharged. Then take it out and use your extra.

That is, use them one at a time.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
outwest

Like others have said, don't mix types. And, best to not even mix two of same type that are of different ages.

A handy device http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syste.../dp/B000MMFJH0 Lets you select battery one or battery two without losing power to your unit (or select both in parallel, which you'd not want to do if mixing different types or ages).

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #9
Koladog

I have a Battery Tender 12V charger. Is it ok to use this to charge a single 6V battery?
Koladog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:34 AM   #10
Lost

Do you have a battery tender or a battery charger or are they combined? whats the make and model?
Old 02-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #11
Bob Landry

Every reason not to do it. The car battery will soon be destroyed from using it as a deep cycle. The plates simply will not hold up. Amp capacity, charging characteristics, discharge characteristics are all different and when the car battery fails, it will likely take the deep cycle battery with it soon afterwards.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #12
Koladog

Its the deltran battery tender plus.
http://batterytender.com/battery-ten...-at-1-25a.html
Old 02-02-2014, 03:34 AM   #13
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koladog View Post
Its the deltran battery tender plus.
http://batterytender.com/battery-ten...-at-1-25a.html
That unit is a 12 volt tender not a charger.
AS far as using it on a 6 volt battery Absolutely not...... Here how it works..... Lets say a batterys 6 volts.... To charge it you need about 6.8 to 7 volts to charge it...... You may have noticed 12 volt batterys need 13.8 volts to charge them........ How many amps (current) isnt the issue...... When you give a battery double the voltage it will gas out a lead acid battery quick or overheat any other type of battery damaging it..... If you set your 12 volt charger switch for 1 amp thats based on 12 volts --- You set it to 1 amp and hook it to a 6 volt battery it most likely will draw several amps even though the charger switch says 1..... More current draw means more heat which leads to damage..... NOW I WILL POINT OUT You can use a 12 volt battery charger to charge two 6 volt batterys ONLY if they are wired in series..... If you have only one 6 volt battery then its not possible....
Hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #14
Koladog

It does and I thought that would be the case but wanted to confirm it. Thank you so much. Good tip on charging two 6 volt batteries hooked up in series. Thanks!