Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #1
TheGriz

Campground Recommendation in Destin/Pensacola Area

Hi folks,

The WX here in the Poconos is fantastic for the skiers, and the local ski resorts are flourishing with the fresh 10" that fell last couple of days. However, my DW and I days skiing are days long gone! The snow and the days of record cold in latter December and early January have both of us experiencing cabin fever early this winter season.

So we are talking hopefully being able to get the TT out of back yard in latter February/March timeframe. We'd like to take several days and head south to Florida to visit my family in the Crystal River area. En route, we'd like to stop in the Pensacola/Destin area for a couple nights to visit my nephew and his girlfriend.

I have done some research and see several campgrounds on the beach in the Pensacola/Destin area. Any experiences with campgrounds in this area, recommendation or heck no stay away????

Thanks,
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I can't advise on campgrounds in that area because we always stay in a condo in Destin. I will say there are several in the area and I think there are others on the forum that have experience with that. If you get nothing I can dig into it; I think there are some here in our campground about 4 hrs from Destin that go there in their RVs.

Stay away? No way. Especially if you've never been there. The water at Destin is just beautiful. Some things to think about; be sure and check spring break times (I think it's spring break somewhere all of March). Things can get hectic BUT Destin does not cater to the spring break mania like Panama City Beach does/did but it can get a bit rowdy. Pensacola is home to a naval air base and has LOTS of folks there; airmen, families etc.; I think there is even a German contingent of training airmen. Not bad generally; just busy and you need to be aware of it. I would highly recommend you go.

If you come to this area prior to going to Crystal River and have time take hwy. 98 along the coast to get back to I10 - or stay on it and miss the interstate to make the bend heading south. If you are going to Crystal River to see manatees remember that Wakulla Springs, the largest natural spring in the world if I recall, has tons of manatees this time of year. I took little brother there a couple of weeks ago and folks were swimming/playing with them and they were everywhere. It was COLD that day and folks were swimming out there with them....without wet suits; crazy to me. As I stood in a coat with the hood pulled up a lady, with a cast on her leg, explained the water was a constant 72degrees as her husband and 2 children frolicked with the manatees. She seemed sane but to me...... Wakulla Springs is also where Creature from the Black Lagoon, and Tarzan (with Johnny Weissmuller) were filmed....pretty interesting.

Good luck and have a great trip.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
Movin' on

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

Stay away? No way. Especially if you've never been there. The water at Destin is just beautiful.

Good luck and have a great trip.
I agree with Sourdough!

The only place I'm familiar with is Henderson Beach State Park. We were there a couple years ago and enjoyed the area and the state park very much. That's the only campground I know anything about in the area, so I hope this helps a little. Hope you make the trip. Have fun!

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #4
Pare

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
Hi folks,

The WX here in the Poconos is fantastic for the skiers, and the local ski resorts are flourishing with the fresh 10" that fell last couple of days. However, my DW and I days skiing are days long gone! The snow and the days of record cold in latter December and early January have both of us experiencing cabin fever early this winter season.

So we are talking hopefully being able to get the TT out of back yard in latter February/March timeframe. We'd like to take several days and head south to Florida to visit my family in the Crystal River area. En route, we'd like to stop in the Pensacola/Destin area for a couple nights to visit my nephew and his girlfriend.

I have done some research and see several campgrounds on the beach in the Pensacola/Destin area. Any experiences with campgrounds in this area, recommendation or heck no stay away????

Thanks,
Mike
Last year, April 2017, we stayed at the Destin RV Resort. Very nice place, concrete pads, right on the back Bay, park personnel were very nice...but... Sites were too close together for $110/nite, small pool, only one washer and dryer for the whole place and worst of all, right next to a very busy highway that you had to act like the Frogger game to get across to go to the beach. They won't tell ya that.

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-1050F using Tapatalk
Pare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #5
laidback

We are in Destin now. Winter destiation for 8yrs. There are a few parks in the area, but they are filling up rapidly. We are at Geronimo which is really in Miramar Beach. No frills clean quite and safe family run. Awhole lot cold now but not like the Pocanoes.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:57 AM   #6
ken56

Love the Crystal River area. Can't help with Destin/Pensacola. We have family in Inverness and stay at Rock Crusher Canyon when we visit.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
TheGriz

Thanks for all the great advice folks! The trip is still very much in the planning stages, but shooting for late Feb/Mar timeframe. It will be a "spur of the moment" decision as we watch the WX. Don't want to drive into any storms, and we certainly don't want to get there with temps in the 50s or worse .

Haaa...funny you mention Rock Crusher Canyon. My 88y/o Mom is a Tiger Wood's drive from that place (when Tiger was still crushing the ball). I pass the place all the time driving from my Mom's on one side of town to my sister who lives on the Plantation's Golf Course! Given we are very recent RV owners, we haven't stayed though at "the Canyon". Been going to Crystal River since 1974 when the place was still an old southern town still undeveloped...yeesh how time flies.

Please keep the feedback coming!

Regards,
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #8
MBD

We go to Camp Gulf every year - sometimes twice a year. The prices may be a little higher, but there is something to be said for convenience. The park is well kept and all the folks that work there are fantastic. There is no other place I want to stay.

The closest state park is Topsail - it is awesome. Just a notch below Camp Gulf for proximity to the beach. Prices are significantly lower. Only trouble is everyone knows how nice it is. Hard to get into. They do have cabins you can rent that are easier to rent than a RV space.
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #9
hitchikerman

We have reservations at Coastline RV resort for the first part of April it's near Eastport and there is no refund or cancellations there
hitchikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:18 AM   #10
Bebo

We can definitely second the good comments on Camp Gulf near Destin...have been there several times - nice RV park, very helpful staff, bath houses cleaned several times per day, several sites are well shaded. PIZZA joint across street is good and with walking distance, beach is right there, big outlet mall down the street. Prices at CG are kinda steep during peak season but we will be back. Down the road always in Panama City St. Andrews S.P. is nice, they were adding WiFi to the entire park while we were there last summer...stayed a week for about 230$, trying Grayton S.P. this year - Have site there with full hook ups for our 5er. Henderson is nice I hear as well. Good luck.
Bebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground