Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #21
UsTwo

Are there black knobs on the underside of the awning arms.?? If so,, Did you tighten them down... this will help on windy days to keep the awning from floping around.. I also use rachet straps or a rachet rope, hooked on both ends from Lowes, that i use.. i use also..
i only dip one end when i looks like rain.. and when we leave i always make sure to tie the awning down..if we are going to be gone far from the camper.. if you haven't seen what big winds do to an awning, it is scary

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #22
{tpc}

Ok well thanks everyone for the help. I have much learning to do. I do have the knobs but haven't played with them much. I am sure I didn't have it rolled all the way out, as the tech told me not to do so. I'm not really 100% sure why he said that but he did. I'm sure I'll inch it out until I feel like it isn't going to fall off or something lol.

Next week is the first trip, so I report back any findings lol.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Ok well thanks everyone for the help. I have much learning to do. I do have the knobs but haven't played with them much. I am sure I didn't have it rolled all the way out, as the tech told me not to do so. I'm not really 100% sure why he said that but he did. I'm sure I'll inch it out until I feel like it isn't going to fall off or something lol.

Next week is the first trip, so I report back any findings lol.
He probably told you not to roll it all the way out because the valance would be too high and the awning fabric would actually create a "dip" behind the awning roller that could catch water. When you roll it all the way out, you need to then roll it in just enough to get the awning fabric to be over the awning roller tube, not behind it.

When you roll it all the way out, you'll see that the fabric isn't "over the tube" but is rather "behind the tube"

There's a step (I think a caution) in the owner's manual about making sure the awning fabric is "over the tube".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #24
UsTwo

^^^^ Yea what these last three folks said.... your awning is NOT out all the way..roll it out till it stops... and then tighten those black knobs on the underneath side of the arms...

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:22 AM   #25
{tpc}

Ok so this weekend I played with it a little. It was windy, so it only stayed out for the first night, then I didn't want to risk it. I bought this awning tie down setup from camco (hooks from end of roller to the bottom of one of the poles so nothing tied to ground) but never got around to putting it on, but I don't think it will work with this type of setup anyways. (I was just hoping to avoid a rope to trip over lol)

Either way, with it fully extended to the point where the valence is where it should be, black knobs tightened and everything, those white arms are still not straight. Even over extended they are not straight out. Close though and better than they were but not straight.

The awning doesn't stick out above the roof of the trailer but it doesn't lean down much either. Kinda more just straight out. If I pull the arms down into less of a straight position and tighten the black knobs I can get it to tilt a little, but thats about it. I can also use the knobs to create tilt to one side or the other for water run off.

My friend has a manual awning type and if he wants he can adjust and tilt all the way to the ground or damn near that. I don't think there is anyway I could do that. Maybe if I really pulled the arms down, but the shock on the other side has a different theory on that lol. I just don't feel comfortable locking it down in such a position. I mean it would take quite a bit to get it down far enough where the top of the door would even think about coming close to the awning.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:24 AM   #26
Nailz

My awning looks very similar to yours when extended. I have too have read/heard that you should not extend the awning fully, not because it would damage the awning, but to ensure the awning material is partially wrapped around the roller. The direction I have read/heard is to extend the awning until the valance is perpendicular to the ground. This allows the water to freely run off the awning. If the awning is fully extended the awning material is behind the roller resulting in a dam of sorts. It made sense to me, so it's what I do.

I have also started using the Valterra Happy hook awning tie down kit (modified) to secure the awning. I replaced the rope included with the Happy hook and installed Quickie ratchet straps instead. I find this makes setup, takedown and tension adjustment easier. I use the anchors included in the kit in soft soil/sand, otherwise I improvise. Even in light winds my awning tends to bounce on the arms without tie downs. I do retract the awning anytime I know high winds or a strong storm is forecast.

Pictures included. Hope this helps. Curtis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140424_094742.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	5902   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140424_172833.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	5903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Happy Hook Awning Tie Down.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	5904  
Attached Images

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2013 Ford F250 SRW 4x4 6.7L, Air Lift 5K Ultimate, B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
2008 Honda Goldwing
Veteran
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:34 AM   #27
Nailz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essness View Post
I've been using tie downs zince we bought this one. It lets me not worry about wind conditions while we're out on the trails.

the poles just fold up with the awning an clip in place for travel.
That's still a great looking setup. I was in the market for a 27FS when I purchased the camper I have now.

It looks as though you have to do the same thing I do, which is raise the front of the camper to load the toys via the ramp. I still find that to be a pain.

Happy camping!

Curtis

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2013 Ford F250 SRW 4x4 6.7L, Air Lift 5K Ultimate, B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck Hitch, Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
2008 Honda Goldwing
Veteran
Old 05-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #28
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
That's still a great looking setup. I was in the market for a 27FS when I purchased the camper I have now.

It looks as though you have to do the same thing I do, which is raise the front of the camper to load the toys via the ramp. I still find that to be a pain.

Happy camping!

Curtis
Thanks Curtis,
That's actually what I need to do to make it level on my driveway. I load a heavily modified golf cart with 13 inches of ground clearance so, no issues with that.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:50 AM   #29
BirchyBoy

That Vantage camper in the video Kristi posted is SEXY!

I'm going to pickup a couple of those tethers for my awning so the wife will have less to worry about when I leave the camper for work.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #30
berg

For you guys using the tie down setups on the awnings, about how long does it take you to unstrap it all so you can roll the awning in? Same with pulling down the lights if you have them up?

Reason I ask is last summer we had a wicked nasty storm roll over the hill on us and we went from a gentle breeze to 40+mph and bigger gusts with rain and thunder/lightning in literally seconds. About the time we looked up and said "uh oh" it was too late.

My neighbors awning took flight up over his 5er and landed in the middle of the camp loop on the other side of the road. My awning pulled loose from one side (rental MH) and just folded back against the body of the rig and folded over the roof. I really didn't care about the awning because I was down at the water rescuing my boat from getting tossed up on the shore. I think 8-9 other rigs in our loop sustained awning damage of some sort and I know several of them had stakes holding them down. We also lost a tent and a few chairs.

That was one experience I'd rather avoid in the future.

If you see something like this coming your way, sound the alarm...

Anyway, I vowed to never have anything on my new TT setup that would keep me from getting it rolled up tight ASAFP. My awning lights will probably be held on with a clothes pin setup of some sort so that I can literally rip them down in a flash if needed. Any ext cords will be tidied up with velcro strips only so they can come off quickly too.

The thought of tie downs makes me nervous.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #31
{tpc}

Thanks all for the info. I may look into the valterra setup. I really need to just get out camping more so I have more time to play with these things.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #32
Essness

Quote:
I've been using tie downs zince we bought this one. It lets me not worry about wind conditions while we're out on the trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berg View Post
For you guys using the tie down setups on the awnings, about how long does it take you to unstrap it all so you can roll the awning in? Same with pulling down the lights if you have them up?

Reason I ask is last summer we had a wicked nasty storm roll over the hill on us and we went from a gentle breeze to 40+mph and bigger gusts with rain and thunder/lightning in literally seconds. About the time we looked up and said "uh oh" it was too late.

My neighbors awning took flight up over his 5er and landed in the middle of the camp loop on the other side of the road. My awning pulled loose from one side (rental MH) and just folded back against the body of the rig and folded over the roof. I really didn't care about the awning because I was down at the water rescuing my boat from getting tossed up on the shore. I think 8-9 other rigs in our loop sustained awning damage of some sort and I know several of them had stakes holding them down. We also lost a tent and a few chairs.

That was one experience I'd rather avoid in the future.

If you see something like this coming your way, sound the alarm...

Anyway, I vowed to never have anything on my new TT setup that would keep me from getting it rolled up tight ASAFP. My awning lights will probably be held on with a clothes pin setup of some sort so that I can literally rip them down in a flash if needed. Any ext cords will be tidied up with velcro strips only so they can come off quickly too.

The thought of tie downs makes me nervous.
The set up I work with is completely portable. Realease the straps, and hit the switch. The legs fold up with the awning and clip in place for mobility.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:08 AM   #33
Nailz

Quote:
The set up I work with is completely portable. Realease the straps, and hit the switch. The legs fold up with the awning and clip in place for mobility.
Same here. With the Valtera setup I just pull down on the awning like I am going to tilt it to one side or the other and remove the clip that secures the strap. Then I retract the awning. Hope that makes sense.

2018 FR XLR Nitro 35VL5
2008 Honda Goldwing
Veteran
Old 05-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #34
bmach

Tpc

You do not need to tilt the awning to know which way it will dump. When you tighten the both knobs you prevent the dump feature from working. Do not tighten the knob on the side you want the awning to dump and you are all set to dump.

Enjoy
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:15 PM   #35
Hoojs12840

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
Here is a picture so you can see what I am referring to. The awning can probably come out a little more, but not enough to straighten those arms I don't think.

I have a similar issue with my 2014 Cougar 330rbk. Except mine comes to low and my door hits the awning. My side arms do not lock straight either. I have it scheduled to be fixed in 2 weeks. Dealer said I have the wrong hardware installed from the factory.

Yours is certainly not the way it should be.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #36
rode2nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
While it may be "counterintuitive" or even counter productive for you to do that, it may be in your best interests to do what your wife wants.......
x2 ......or you will pay...
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #37
rode2nowhere

just a note when retracting awning in a freak storm and rain downpour, make sure you are not under it when your wife is retracting it and is full of rain, ask me what happens....
rode2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:43 AM   #38
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rode2nowhere View Post
just a note when retracting awning in a freak storm and rain downpour, make sure you are not under it when your wife is retracting it and is full of rain, ask me what happens....

Heh. Heh. I can see me doing that. Thanks for the chuckle.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:52 AM   #39
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoojs12840 View Post
I have a similar issue with my 2014 Cougar 330rbk. Except mine comes to low and my door hits the awning. My side arms do not lock straight either. I have it scheduled to be fixed in 2 weeks. Dealer said I have the wrong hardware installed from the factory.

Yours is certainly not the way it should be.
I don't know. Its so hard to tell really. I played with it a bit more this past weekend (until it got too windy) and I was able to use the knobs and angle it down quite a bit. It will still "auto dump" with the knobs tightened due to the design.

I really need to run into another 2300bh owner and see how theirs looks.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:31 AM   #40
Lee

Quote:

Not meaning to hi-jack this thread,.... but Essness do tell.... Where did you get that tie-down system?

I have looked all over the net but don't see the one that you have.

Thanks,
Lee
Lee is online now   Reply With Quote