Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #1
jmlocklin

Sloping trailer sight

Where I have room to park my travel trailer there is a slope. When I level it the wheels on the low side come off the ground. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a ramp that I could buy to raise the low side to help level it some? Any solutions would be appreciated.
jmlocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
C.LeeNick

When we bought our motor home years ago it came with a bunch of pieces of 2x6 boards beveled (45 degree or so cuts) on the end, maybe 18 to 24 inches long, so we could stack them up as needed and drive over them to level the rig. They work quite well.

I cut some just like it for the new Passport trailer. Haven't used them yet. But I know they will work when needed.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:39 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If the slope is so great that the wheels are off the ground (even with the spring sag) and you're trying to store your trailer in a place that is that unlevel, you may find that even with putting blocks under the "hanging tires" doesn't negate all the risks. If a tire goes flat, rain shifts the ground under the tires, your trailer could move and become unstable if it's that far out of level in the 8' width span.

Is there any other location to store the trailer?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
KeithInUpstateNY

If you don't have the 2x6s handy you can buy a set of Lynx leveling blocks in the RV section at most Walmarts. There are other products that are available, but they are usually the easiest to find. You always want to level the trailer from side to side with the tires, chock the tires, level front to back with the tongue jack, then put the stabilizing jacks down to minimize rocking. The stabilizing jacks are not meant to be used to level the trailer and doing so can damage them. Ask me how I know. Lesson learned with the first trailer I had with welded on stabilizing jacks, sigh.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:06 PM   #5
jmlocklin

Thanks, but I live on a mountain and have a concrete drive that I want to park it on, but did not realize it was so unlevel until I tried to park it. I am looking for a way to raise the low side then secure it with the leveling jacks. Now the leveling jacks raise the tires off the ground on the low side, which can't be good.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:36 PM   #6
jmlocklin

Thanks for the replys. Is there a problem with storing it unlevel? I can get some 2 X 6's and use them to level the trailer. I had not thought of that. Once the trailer is level, then I can deploy the jacks. Does that sound like a solution that will work?
Old 11-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #7
Canonman

I'd suggest leveling the TT side to side with the Tri leveler (https://www.google.com/searchq=tri+l...hrome&ie=UTF-8).
They're inexpensive, about $12 to $15 at Walmart. Put the leveler on the low side and either back or pull the tires on to the leveler until level. There's 3 gradual steps. I use 2 levelers, one for each wheel, if things are really wonkey. Once things are fairly level side to side then use the stack blocks under the low side leveling feet of the TT to make up for the slope. Wheels will either be on the ground or the leveler. Easy-peasy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trileveler.png
Views:	121
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	19364  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #8
C.LeeNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlocklin View Post
Thanks for the replys. Is there a problem with storing it unlevel? I can get some 2 X 6's and use them to level the trailer. I had not thought of that. Once the trailer is level, then I can deploy the jacks. Does that sound like a solution that will work?
Sounds like a good solution to me. I honestly don't think there is anything wrong with simply storing it unlevel, as long as you don't use the refrigerator. The refrigerator must be level to work correctly. My RV parking pad points downhill, and I didn't know it until I parked our old motorhome there 15 years ago and tried to level it. I'd have to put 2 or 3 2x6's under each front wheel to get it level. As long as we weren't using the fridge, we left it parked unlevel with no ill effects.

Not sure what kind of jacks you have, but ours (scissors-type) state they aren't to be used for "leveling" but for "stabilization". I can't say I've followed that rule to the letter, but with ours, at least, I wouldn't be comfortable with them supporting the whole weight of the trailer with the wheels off the ground.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:32 PM   #9
jmlocklin

Thanks for all the comments. Being new to RV's I have now learned that leveling jacks are not for leveling but for stabilizing. I will also invest in a level, since I like gadgets it will be the one that you place in the camper then use an app to see how level. I will also use one of the suggestions posted. I think I need to first see how high I need to ramp up to make it level. So, I now have options on what to do. Thank again for all the input.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:46 PM   #10
C.LeeNick

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments. Being new to RV's I have now learned that leveling jacks are not for leveling but for stabilizing. I will also invest in a level, since I like gadgets it will be the one that you place in the camper then use an app to see how level. I will also use one of the suggestions posted. I think I need to first see how high I need to ramp up to make it level. So, I now have options on what to do. Thank again for all the input.
An idea I got from my dad when we traveled around in a Sportscoach motorhome back in the 70's was to keep a little round bubble level in the freezer compartment of the fridge. If it was level, we were good. He always figured the coach probably wasn't built all that level from the factory, and that parts of it could sag over time, but since the fridge was the important part, that was the best place to keep the level.

Something I've learned from you is about the level you can put in the coach and have an app to read it outside! I'd not heard of that. That would be darned convenient. Thanks!
Old 11-19-2018, 10:29 PM   #11
KeithInUpstateNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.LeeNick View Post
An idea I got from my dad when we traveled around in a Sportscoach motorhome back in the 70's was to keep a little round bubble level in the freezer compartment of the fridge. If it was level, we were good. He always figured the coach probably wasn't built all that level from the factory, and that parts of it could sag over time, but since the fridge was the important part, that was the best place to keep the level.

Something I've learned from you is about the level you can put in the coach and have an app to read it outside! I'd not heard of that. That would be darned convenient. Thanks!
I also level to the refrigerator front to back and side to side when I'm camping, though I use a torpedo level. I've learned that, at least with my current trailer, "between the lines" is close enough. I used to try to get it "spot on", but now I purposely have the bubble on the high side on the street side, otherwise I end up with water on the bathroom floor outside the tub when I shower. Every trailer has its quirks and that seems to be one of this one's.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:19 AM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
You didn't indicate the rv or what type of leveling system, hydraulic, electric, landing gear with stablizers.
Couple of questions? Do you have the Level up hydraulic system? Do you just push "auto level"?
The reason for asking, the "stabilizer" jacks would probably never lift the wheels off the ground & if you leveled it in "manual" mode, if equipped with level up system, you might be able to level it without blocks or at least not as many.
If you have the Level up system it's far more than just "stabilizers", it will lift the entire rv off the ground with little to no effort.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:30 PM   #13
MarkEHansen

Danny beat me to it. If the wheels are off the ground on one side, I seriously doubt this was accomplished using the stabilizer jacks.

The OP should post what type of leveling jacks are used on the camper so better answers (and less guesses) can be provided.
MarkEHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #14
wiredgeorge

When I was a lad.... errr, guess someone already gave you a story like that. I use these things when my RV needs to be leveled. I live in the Texas Hill Country and there are parking spots where they are needed. You drive onto them and stop when the trailer is level. Kind of easy.

https://www.amazon.com/Leveler-Ander...24707035&psc=1

Sorry for the long link; amazon does that... get someone to tell you when to stop. They can watch one of these on the side of your trailer. Since I have a 5th wheel, mine are located near the switch that raises/lowers the front. One is for the side to side and the other is for the fore and after level.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXBAJBO...542752525&sr=1
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #15
jmlocklin

Sorry, I left out a lot of details. Travel trailer is a Sprinter Campfire Edition, 29BH. it has LCI Level Up automatic hydraulic leveling system. Once started it levels right to left and front to rear. It lifts the trailer with no effort. Tires are lifted up off the ground on one side. Being new to RV'ing I just thought that was doing what it was supposed to. But having dangling tires can't be a good thing. So I was looking for a solution to that. Also, I put in a driveway with the intent to drive in and drop the trailer and then easily hook up to go again. The drive is a concrete loop. I was not aware of how sloped it was where I wanted to park the trailer. Being kind of stubborn I want to make this spot work. Besides there is nothing flat on a mountain side. Also I have found a leveling basic kit at Camping World. It looks like it is stackable so the weight of the 2X8's will not be an issue. Also the WoBLR level works with a phone app. Its a lot more expensive than a bubble level, but I am a geek and like gadgets. Thanks again for all the comments.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:36 AM   #16
Canonman

Here's a photo of our Cougar using just 1 tri leveler. The campsite was fairly level but when we tried to auto-level the curb side wheels were off the ground. Backed on to the tri-leveler and no problem All 4 wheels fully supported.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...pictureid=4038
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #17
LCC

My site is much like yours. When I performed an auto level, both downhill wheels of the trailer were 8-9” off the ground. I simply built a small ramp which nearly leveled it side to side then manually used the LCI system to tweak it to level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C7E78350-9BCA-491B-8328-8A5CDE55EC69.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	19394  
LCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #18
Phil Saran

If just being stored a bit of slant is good for rain/snow run off.

For my 5th wheel trailer I went to Home Depot and purchased a 10 foot 2” x 8” and had it cut into 2 5 footers. This has usually been enough to level my trailer.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:59 AM   #19
babaloo

Had the same problem with our 279RKSWE...
Called several Keystone dealers....most said don't let wheels come off the ground.
So I've found that leveling the 5er FIRST, with blocks or whatever under tires, THEN using Auto Leveler System, with pads under my 4 jacks, if needed, will allleviate problem. Also, with wheels off the ground, stability & wobble are greatly enhanced. It just seems weird to have 5er wheels off the ground & spinning freely, loosing that support !
babaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:25 AM   #20
larryflew

If scissor jacks only use as stabilizers. If actual leveling system they are strong enough to lift one side (this from Lippert service rep). As others mentioned, if you're not using the fridge no need to be level.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote