Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2017, 06:26 AM   #1
Mspeed

Trouble with leveling system

I have a Montana high country th with a LCI electronic leveling system. I'm getting an error while trying to level up. No fault was given, just error leveling failed. Anyone have any idea why this is happening. I have tried to level several times and got the same error.
Mspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:28 AM   #2
Mspeed

The middle stabilizer jacks never came down either.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If it's electric system, you can try "re homing" the jacks.

Using a ratchet or drill motor on the override, located on the bottom side of the gearbox assembly, extend ALL jacks 6-8". Then press "retract all".

Do this procedure either connected to the truck or with the truck AWAY from the trailer as the front landing gear will fully retract.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:10 AM   #4
Mspeed

It's not faulting out, just error leveling failed. The control panel doesn't need to be reset.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:12 AM   #5
Mspeed

What buttons need to be pushed to bring the stabilizer jacks down?
Old 10-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspeed View Post
What buttons need to be pushed to bring the stabilizer jacks down?

There are rubber plugs you take off and then use a socket to manually operate the gears.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
Javi

One thing you'll find about these leveling systems is that they have travel limits... The result is a failure to level... The fix.... Take a look to see which jacks are bottomed out or that are extended a long way...

Re hook... raise the jacks... if the jacks are bottomed out ( not extended) move the trailer a bit or raise the extensions a couple or three holes... to give the jacks a chance to extend... or if extended too far... put a couple of 2 x 12's under each pad... then hit the auto level button again...
Old 10-14-2017, 06:16 PM   #8
bobbecky

Not familiar with the electronic version, as I have the hydraulic leveling system, but with the hydraulic system, the nose of the trailer has to be high prior to leveling, or it will also fail to level. Is this possibly the problem with the electronic version not working?
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Not familiar with the electronic version, as I have the hydraulic leveling system, but with the hydraulic system, the nose of the trailer has to be high prior to leveling, or it will also fail to level. Is this possibly the problem with the electronic version not working?
Yep.....

Javi
Old 10-14-2017, 07:50 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

I have started "auto level" on both electric and hydraulic systems with the nose "down' and the system has leveled fine.
"Auto hitch recognition" won't work if you start nose low.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:13 AM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I have started "auto level" on both electric and hydraulic systems with the nose "down' and the system has leveled fine.
"Auto hitch recognition" won't work if you start nose low.
It isn't about the "brain" it is about "TRAVEL" if the legs run out of travel before the trailer is level the thing stops and the only warning is "ERROR LEVEL FAILED"

I've had it occur several times at Goose Island SP on the Texas coast... The sites are level on top but very small and it is tricky to get the trailer situated to get the jack pads in a position where there is a balance between travel and level..

This is a photo of my old trailer in one of the sites... note the drop off front and back...

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...5&d=1346324213
Old 10-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #12
rrjernigan

Lippert makes a terrible (at least in my experience) product and neither they nor Keystone will stand behind them if you full time. Ours make a loud popping sound when you walk or move around inside after being setup for about a week. Keystone's and Lipperts answer, live with it; they aren't intended for full time use. Never again will I purchase from either company.
rrjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:43 PM   #13
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspeed View Post
I have a Montana high country th with a LCI electronic leveling system. I'm getting an error while trying to level up. No fault was given, just error leveling failed. Anyone have any idea why this is happening. I have tried to level several times and got the same error.
OUR COUGAR started doing the same thing on our second trip out last season.
I was able to level the camper in manual mode. That is to use the electric jacks and a good ol' spirit level. Dealer found a bad sensor that was located in the center of the camper behind the rear axle. This is the sensor that actually tells the brain which jack to extend or retract in order to get the camper to a level point. System has worked perfect since the repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6365 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	14376  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #14
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
One thing you'll find about these leveling systems is that they have travel limits... The result is a failure to level... The fix.... Take a look to see which jacks are bottomed out or that are extended a long way...

Re hook... raise the jacks... if the jacks are bottomed out ( not extended) move the trailer a bit or raise the extensions a couple or three holes... to give the jacks a chance to extend... or if extended too far... put a couple of 2 x 12's under each pad... then hit the auto level button again...
yup ran into this one in a weird site. one of my rear stroked out and I had to pull it in, re hook up and then go buy a PT 2X10 cut into 12" lengths and block it up. the front I just lowered the legs more, but the backs I had to use blocks.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 05:55 AM   #15
ChuckS

This should take care of your popping issues

https://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0295.pdf
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 06:14 AM   #16
ChuckS

Might also try “rehoming” procedure and see if that clears up your issues... lastly sometimes you can disconnect the control panel for a few minutes then reconnect and give that a try...
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:14 PM   #17
Chevrolise

2 cents ? ..... My hydraulic system (2016) started out screwy, would auto level on a level surface, not so much on anything else. A fellow camper suggested I maually extend and retract all legs a couple times. It has worked as it should since

16 Chevy 3500 diesel
16 Fuzion 325
CanAm Spyder, Yamaha Grizzly
Kymco mxu 500i, 2 grandsons
way too many Kayaks
Chevrolise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:44 PM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
It isn't about the "brain" it is about "TRAVEL" if the legs run out of travel before the trailer is level the thing stops and the only warning is "ERROR LEVEL FAILED"

I've had it occur several times at Goose Island SP on the Texas coast... The sites are level on top but very small and it is tricky to get the trailer situated to get the jack pads in a position where there is a balance between travel and level..

This is a photo of my old trailer in one of the sites... note the drop off front and back...

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...5&d=1346324213
You left it in that position? First those aren't auto leveler s, they're"stabilizers not designed/intended to raise/level the trailer, but "stabilize" it once level & that picture doesn't look as if it would be very stable.
If your auto level jacks creak/pop/groan the fix is simple. With all slides/jacks retracted remove 1 quart of fluid from the reservoir & replace it/top off the reservoir with 15w motorcycle fork oil(I used Maxima brand), extend/retract slides/jacks a couple times to work fluid in & should cure the problem. The reservoir with everything retracted should be topped off to 1/4-1/2" below fill hole, if everything is not retracted you could overfill & have a big mess when you do retract.
It's also recommended that if you are parked for extended periods to wipe down & spray the jacks weekly with a silicone spray. Also to spray them before retracting them each time. Here's is what I use on jack, slides, hinges, hitch, anything that needs to work freely. Absolutely no regular WD40 its for rusted bolts only, the WD40 silicone is ok.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161005_120522.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	14632
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:59 PM   #19
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrjernigan View Post
Lippert makes a terrible (at least in my experience) product and neither they nor Keystone will stand behind them if you full time. Ours make a loud popping sound when you walk or move around inside after being setup for about a week. Keystone's and Lipperts answer, live with it; they aren't intended for full time use. Never again will I purchase from either company.
The popping thing with the LevelUp system has been known since at least 2013, when a tech sheet was issued. The popping is caused by stiction in the jacks, and is resolved with the adding of a stiction fluid. You remove some of the hydraulic fluid and replace with the stiction fluid. This is the link to the Lipsheet:

http://www.lci1.com/images/support/lipsheet/0295.pdf

I used the Caterpillar fluid, a bit pricey, but one quart did the job.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:07 AM   #20
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You left it in that position? First those aren't auto leveler s, they're"stabilizers not designed/intended to raise/level the trailer, but "stabilize" it once level & that picture doesn't look as if it would be very stable.
Attachment 14632
Yep... we spent a week in that spot... And yes I know the jacks shown in my photo are stabilizing jacks and not levelers... The trailer was level... as I said; the site is level on top of the crown but falls off front and rear... which is what the photo was used to illustrate.

As far as how stable the trailer was in that position.... wasn't going anywhere....

Tags
leveling