Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
thewhitehat

Water connection mystery

(See pic) I connected my trailer to a city water connection recently and turned on the faucet; hours later my wife noticed a corner of the floor in the bedroom was wet. When I went to look at the water connection, I was appalled to see that water was coming out of the gravity hole in the center, almost like I had been filling the fresh water tank.

The fresh water tank showed full, which is a mystery because I had just taken the trailer out of winterization and had drained the fw tank before storing. So my question is how did the fw tank get full when I had the hose connected to city water side?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
outwest

In the convenience center, do you by chance have a valve that you can turn to divert city water to fill the tank? Should be labeled something like "tank fill". My guess is that it isn't fully off.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhitehat View Post
(See pic) I connected my trailer to a city water connection recently and turned on the faucet; hours later my wife noticed a corner of the floor in the bedroom was wet. When I went to look at the water connection, I was appalled to see that water was coming out of the gravity hole in the center, almost like I had been filling the fresh water tank.

The fresh water tank showed full, which is a mystery because I had just taken the trailer out of winterization and had drained the fw tank before storing. So my question is how did the fw tank get full when I had the hose connected to city water side?

Not familiar with options on your rig apparently the inlet your hose is connected to is either solely for filling your onboard tank or like previous post stated need to find the switch that diverts water to your tank and make sure it is in position not to divert water into tank. In picture seen another inlet could that one be the water source to the coach? Instead of a switch you have two separate water inlets for Fill Tank and Feed rig?

I would be worried where water came from that was on bedroom floor?

If I had to guess would think cougar would have the switch.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
GaryWT

There is a valve I believe that keeps the water from the city hook up from getting to the pump and back filling the fresh water tank. My guess is this needs to be replaced. Maybe it froze over the winter. I am not 100% sure about this but I believe I have read about it before. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

From the connection in your picture, there is no convenience center and no valve to fill the FWTank under pressure. So, that only leaves one viable option:

The one way valve in the water pump is not sealing and water is leaking through the water pump into the fresh water tank. On many sur-flo pumps the valve is built into the pump water output side, on some jet-flo and some other brands, it's a separate valve that's installed in the pump output supply hose.

You can do a "work around" (if you're not still in warranty) by installing a 1/4 turn valve in the line that connects the water pump to the incoming fresh water "city supply" line.

ADDED: GaryWT posted about the same time as I did. We are both talking about the same valve in the water pump.... As he said, it probably froze during the winter and is not functioning.

The bedroom water leak may well be a separate problem, unless your FW tank is under the bed ??? If it's under the floor of the trailer, there's not much chance that the carpet is wet from the tank. In that case, I'd think that you also have a split or broken fitting or water supply line that runs through the bedroom that's also leaking. The first (and most important) thing to do is to dry the bedroom floor and stop the leak. The OSB flooring won't survive long if it remains saturated with water, A good wet/dry vac and get as much as possible off the carpet, then heat and fans to circulate air and completely dry it before the floor is damaged.......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #6
dandjh1958

the first time I used my Hideout, I hooked it up to city water but I noticed my fresh water tank kept increasing in volume. I ended up having to dump about 3/4 of a tank out of my fresh water tank before leaving the camp site.
I changed the regulator on my city water connection and now the fresh water tank stays dry.
There is a valve that is inline with the city water inlet that prevents pressure from hurting the system. If the water pressure is too much, it leaks into the fresh water tank.

(that's what the other people on this forum told me and I believed them!)

Happy camping!!
Julie (and Don)
dandjh1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:51 AM   #7
ALLTXN

This happened to me once. My problem was the dealer winterized it and disconnected my water line on my pump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ALLTXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #8
Sherwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhitehat View Post
(See pic) I connected my trailer to a city water connection recently and turned on the faucet; hours later my wife noticed a corner of the floor in the bedroom was wet.

I had the same problem with regards to the wet bedroom floor. The problem with mine was a leaky hose that connected the city water "in" to the pump "T". I noticed mine when I went to bed and stepped in a puddle. I opened up the water pump/winterize box located next to the bed and seen the leak in the hose. I bought one of those steal braided water faucet hoses from Menards and everything is better.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote