Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #41
Bob Bo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
Congrats! and welcome to the Keystone and 3500 club (even though it is a SRW )
Yeah, I get. Believe me if I could I would have gotten a dually, but it's to much money at this point. Maybe in the future.
Bob Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #42
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bo View Post
Yeah, I get. Believe me if I could I would have gotten a dually, but it's to much money at this point. Maybe in the future.
Congrats and you’ll get another one when you join the DRW club.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #43
Bolo4u

Quote:
What state are you in? Don't forget to check if your state requires an endorsement or some type of special license when towing a trailer this heavy. Many states do...
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #44
rhagfo

Quote:
It cost me, but I upgraded to a 3500 SRW today. Thanks everyone for all the advice. This goes down as my first full time RV life lesson. I'll be passing along the same advice some of you passed d to me.

Cant wait to get this adventure started!
Well the correct Ram 3500 SRW may have enough Payload to handle the possible pin weight, should have stepped up to a DRW that 5er will be close to payload once 5er is loaded, and stuff is added to the TV.

I just had to convince my DD that for her new four horse slant with living quarters all aluminum trailer while it only has a 12,000 GVWR the wheels are very near the rear of the trailer, she really needed a DRW.
We pulled it home from Medford, OR with our 2001 2500, we stopped for a quick scale check and had 10,400# on the TV, the normal empty weight is about 7,800# so empty about a 2,600# pin.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #45
Bob Bo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
What state are you in? Don't forget to check if your state requires an endorsement or some type of special license when towing a trailer this heavy. Many states do...
California does require a class A non-commercial license to tow a 15000# or higher trailer. But, I was aware of that and I'll be working on getting that taken care of.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #46
Bolo4u

Quote:
California does require a class A non-commercial license to tow a 15000# or higher trailer. But, I was aware of that and I'll be working on getting that taken care of.
Yup. I'm about an hour or so north of you.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #47
Johnnyfry

You really need a 3500 series Dually to safely tow and stop this rig. Get it with an exhaust brake, especially if you drive in the mountains.
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #48
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
You really need a 3500 series Dually to safely tow and stop this rig. Get it with an exhaust brake, especially if you drive in the mountains.
Well the OP has stated that he went to a 3500 SRW, to me this is a lateral move! The only real changes are springs and maybe tires and the numbers on the VIN sticker! Really should have moved to a DRW, that is my next move.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:55 PM   #49
Bob Bo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfry View Post
The new truck has the exhaust brake
Old 08-12-2018, 08:20 PM   #50
mcomeaux

The numbers still show gross at 12,300 with SW. And 3.42 gearing not much upgrade except for the additional weight capacity? Big difference on launching from take-off if you could have got 3.73 instead of the 3.42. End of day you still have single wheel. I see a lot of guys pulling triple axle Toy Haulers with 2500's. If an accident ever occurs all that attorney needs is the vehicle weights and it is all documented in black and white. Had a retired CHP in camping with us in Arizona last winter and he mentioned herding a few in on obvious over gross issue's..with truck trailer combinations....Did OP get the Aisin Transmission?
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:01 AM   #51
Laredo Tugger

Congrats to the OP on the new truck. Enough truck? You will get varied answers across the board here. As you have seen, everything from your 2500 is good to go, to absolutely DRW! . You have made an improvement for sure. It's one thing for this forum to tell you the rules ( the weight police) and all is good advice, it is quite another for your insurance company to tell you after the fact that you are on your own for all liabilities. Has that happened? I don't know. That would make an interesting discussion on here.
I had a dealer tell me that only about 15% of the 3500 Rams from the factory are SRW. True or not? I don't know, but I was surprised how fast you found the one you purchased. I have the same truck with the Aisin tranny and 5th wheel tow package,4X4,SB. Found it pre-owned with 5800 miles on it. Not the leather,sunroof ect... version,but will do the job. Calculating my numbers I think I am OK, but I am sure there are those that will argue the fact.
The trailer is a 2017 Laredo 350 FB, Dry Weight 11,230 lbs.,Payload Capacity 1,770 lbs.,GVWR 13,000 lbs.Hitch Weight 2,085 lbs.
I have a "slider hitch" and will be adding Air Lift air bags.
Your rig looks to be maybe around two thousand pounds heavier than mine.
On the SRW/DRW brink?
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:16 PM   #52
Ken / Claudia

I have asked the question on here also about insurance. What will the agent say to being told as a example a truck can pull xxx and carry xxx but the person tells him he is over by 1,000 pounds or lets say 2,000 lbs. Will the agent cancel the policy or cancel after a incident. I am guessing if they do not know the person was over weight limits they would still be covered at that point but, what about after.
As a challenge to anyone pulling or carrying 1,000 lbs more than what is on the factory sticker tell your agent and find out how they cover that.

Only as a law matter, many have asked me a question knowing their illegal. It's like this I travel at 68 in a 55 zone, will I get a ticket. I reply yeah it is likely. Or my DL is not valid but I need to get to work, is that OK, I have to drive to get there. No it is not Okay.
I would think a agent knowing that a vehicle he/she has insured to their client, if being used not as what the factory lists would say something.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #53
Frank G

A insurance agent cannot cancel a insurance policy.

Close this before I say things I shouldn't, way off topic, again.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #54
Ken / Claudia

Frank, what would a insurance company or agent do if their client is using the insured item differently then the maker said to use it. If you know why cannot you say. I guess I do not understand why some make comments but not backup or finnish their statement. Cannot it be done civilly.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #55
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
A insurance agent cannot cancel a insurance policy.

Close this before I say things I shouldn't, way off topic, again.
In response to the first comment:
It happens every day. While the agent may not "sign the document" in many situations, they are the originator and processor of the cancellation document.

In response to the second comment:
We are all adults here and are expected to act as such. If you can't stop yourself from saying things you shouldn't, then don't post !!! An open thread is not dependent upon one member's suggestion that he can't maintain civility. It's your responsibility to "keep a civil tongue" and not say things you shouldn't. Closing a topic because you can't keep from saying the wrong things ???? Let's hope we never come to that on this forum.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #56
Ken / Claudia

I hope anyone reading my posts would understand I was asking questions and stating opinions.
My auto insurance was cancelled through a phone call from the agent about 45 years ago followed up with a letter after 3 reported crashes. I stopped many people who DMV listed auto insurance cancelled, unknown by agent or co. but not sure that matters. Can a person in the business comment on my question it may be helpful to all of us.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #57
Laredo Tugger

First and foremost, I did not intend to start an argument on here.
I was watching one of the many You Tube videos on towing weights and regulations and the person on the video made a comment regarding the liability associated with an overweight rig. What especially got my attention was a comment that if you are towing overweight and are involved in an accident resulting in injury or death, your insurance company may have the ability to deny your claim, I think his words were "leave you on your own".
I am not an insurance sales person,writer or adjuster, but I am sure that somewhere in every policy is dialogue that protects them (the insurance company) from stupid people. This would stand to reason why they could in effect cancel your coverage having deemed you to be in violation of the guidelines within your policy.
Meaning if you are involved in a serious accident and whether you know you are overweight or not, you may be "on your own" when the attorney for the other side gets involved and starts requesting specific info,namely how much did your rig weigh.
Maybe someone on here has had experience with this or knows someone that has.
That's the discussion I intended, not our ill feelings towards insurance companies.
Life's to short for that.

And on topic,congrats to the OP on his new TV.
There the "Keystone Cops" (the moderators) wont be pulling me over.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #58
sourdough
Site Team

Ken, I think you are spot on. The previous poster may have been trying to nitpick since technically the company will be the one "cancelling" the policy, but I, like you, have sat and watched an insurance rep cancel a policy. I only deal with agents of one company so they are a rep for that company, it may be different for an independent agent but I'm sure they are the ones that initiate the cancellation.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:22 PM   #59
MerlinB

Many, many years ago (more than I care to remember) when I was young and newly married, I had Allstate insurance. I had a minor fender-bender in a parking lot. No damage to my vehicle; don't remember how much damage to the other party but it wasn't a whole lot. Allstate settled and paid. No problem. Then they cancelled me. No warning, just boom, cancelled.

I found other coverage and never looked back. So much for "good hands."
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:42 AM   #60
dsttexas

Get your specs, and weights

First, go to Ram trailer towing and get specs for your exact configuration: https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html

Then when you have your truck and trailer loaded for a typical trip, stop at truck stop and get all 3 axles weighed individually (all at once). Then as a check, take the time to unhook trailer and weigh again with just the 2 truck axles.

Compare 3 axle total weight vs your Gross Combined Weight Rating.

Compare the 2 truck axle weights from the above to Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.

Compare the individual truck axle weights from the above to your trucks individual Gross Axle Ratings, and to your rear tire max ratings at full psi.

Subtracting the total weight of just the truck weighing from combined weighing will give you the total added weight of your trailer to that of your truck = Gross actual Trailer weight.

If you exceed any of the maximum specs you know you are pushing it.

Truck scale weighing can be a bit of a hassle as the speaker to communicate is located about 8-10 feet off the ground. So you may have to go inside and tell them what you need, and they should say just go on the scales and wait about 1 minute then drive off, and come in to get weights.

Tags
montana, tow, tow vehicle