Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2018, 07:50 AM   #1
Dwood95503

Tap lights over bed turning on by themselves

In our 2018 cougar, the three tap lights over the bed started turning on by themselves this morning. It’s happened 8 times in the last hour. Anyone else? I guess I’ll have to pull the fuse unless it stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dwood95503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Not sure what a tap light is but if is a reading light are they also controlled by a wall switch? If so, the wall switch has the wires pressed between cutters so the installer doesn't have to strip back any insulation and the wires may just barely (black and white) touching inside this switch. If there is no wall switch, these lights should be switched independently and wired in parallel so I can't imagine how they would all turn on at once.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
Dwood95503

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Not sure what a tap light is but if is a reading light are they also controlled by a wall switch? If so, the wall switch has the wires pressed between cutters so the installer doesn't have to strip back any insulation and the wires may just barely (black and white) touching inside this switch. If there is no wall switch, these lights should be switched independently and wired in parallel so I can't imagine how they would all turn on at once.

These lights don’t have an on/off switch. They have a silver ring around them that you touch to turn them on and off.
Reading in other threads, it seems to be rf interference and I will need to have the dealer put in a filter. I’ll be taking the trailer in next week.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:33 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Never heard of such lights. All my previous campers had either incandescent or LED lights with a slide switch or turned off/on via a wall switchplate and the individual fixture slide switch turned on. Glad you are getting this sorted. Ain't progress peachy?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #5
Dwood95503

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Never heard of such lights. All my previous campers had either incandescent or LED lights with a slide switch or turned off/on via a wall switchplate and the individual fixture slide switch turned on. Glad you are getting this sorted. Ain't progress peachy?

[emoji41]

Old 03-29-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
Camp Cookie

Dang Tap lights

I have the same problem, dang things kept coming on all night. I turned off the OTA antenna so I could hook up the cable to watch tv at the camp site this past weekend.No problems til we went to bed. Only thing I can think of is the ota switch? It was raining hard that night too.

no wall switch, just tap the ring to turn on and off the lights, not sure why this happened. Please let me know what you end up doing, thanks
Camp Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
Pmedic4

Tap Lights turning on by themselves

Our new RV has these, so we haven't had a problem with the RV lights.

Just wondering if it has to do with humidity, or perhaps someone with lotion on their hands touched the light? We had a television which had touch controls, and it seemed to be sensitive on humid days, changing on it's own.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, light, lights