Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2018, 06:56 AM   #1
Ncgrandma

Awning won’t close

We have a new Premire with a Solara electric awning. It opens ok but is very slow closing and now it stops when it gets about 2/3 of the way up. We have to open it up a little and my husband has to go out and push on the arms while I push the retract button. We have had it in to the dealer and they replaced the motor but it is doing the same thing. I think it it needs a stronger motor. Anyone else have this problem?
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:33 AM   #2
Old Mustanger

Do the arms have knobs that you loosen to change the angle of the awning and then tighten to hold it at a lower angle? If so make sure they are not tight when you try to close it.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Check the knobs as indicated above. Also, is the awning square with the arms? If it is in the track off center it can start binding as the arms come in...
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
bill-e

My Solera even with a good motor is slow, especially just on battery. You likely need another motor, if you are out of warranty give Keystone a call and describe the symptoms and they will likely send you one free (they did for me). On shore power even my bad one worked enough to retract it, but did not have enough power to retract on 12v.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #5
Ncgrandma

Thank you for your replies. We’ll check the knobs and give it a try.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:13 PM   #6
14george

To got the sororal don’t have knobs
Old 07-10-2018, 08:22 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

We had a customer with a Solara awning. Went through 3 motors in a row before we got a good one. Hope your luck is better.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:00 PM   #8
Ncgrandma

We checked out the awning for knobs. It doesn’t have knobs but the is a bolt/nut at the joint that folds up to close the awning. My husband loosened it just a little and the awning went in but squeaked like crazy. We tried it a few times and it stopped just like before he loosened it. So we called the company and explained what was happening. The lady asked if our battery is charged. Yes i5 is but the trailer is plugged into a 30 amp outlet. She told us to disconnect the shore power and use just the battery. Sounded wrong to us but we tried it and, don’t understand why, but it worked. Still slow but closed several times. We’re leaving Mon for a week, we’ll see what happens. Then today went to put food in the refrigerator, which has been on and cold as if 2 days ago, and it is warm and the freezer thawed. Couldn’t get th3 mobile repair guy out because he is booked and our regular service center is closed on Sat. So called Dometic and she said to try running or on propane. That seemed to be working but I don’t trust it so am waiting to load it with food. Can’t figure ou5 why it didn’t switch to elec as it is plugged in and my understanding is when it’s on auto elec will run??? Never had these problems with our hybrid. Anyone have suggestions on the refer? Need to get it going on elec.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:46 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Ncgrandma,

There are two "glass cartridge" fuses on the control board in the power center behind the refrigerator. UNPLUG THE RV and remove the rear lower refrigerator vent, in the lower left corner of the back of the refrigerator you'll see a black plastic cover. Remove that cover and you'll see the two fuses on the control board. Check them. One or both may be defective. Also, check the refrigerator plugin receptacle (also in that space, probably a bit higher on the side wall). Unplug it, and then plug it back in. Sometimes that plug will vibrate loose and not make good contact.

Hopefully one of these will fix your refrigerator. If not, then it's likely to be a control board issue. Dometic refrigerators have a 3 year warranty but require some documentation that annual service has been completed, so you may or may not have a warranty issue with your refrigerator.

In any case, as long as it's cooling on LPG, you should be OK, just lock out the electric portion by pressing the GAS button and take it out of AUTO. That way you can use your refrigerator for the trip and deal with the problem when you return.

Safe travels.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning