Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2019, 01:41 PM   #1
coachsrs

Roof Access?

I have a 2005 Keystone Outback 27RSDS camper. I would like to know if it is safe to get on the roof? If so what are your suggestions. It does have a rubber roof and I have never been on top. I have only used a ladder and brush extension to clean the roof. However, I am having AC problems and need to get on top to check on. Thanks for your help!
coachsrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:11 AM   #2
busterbrown

With late model coaches, the generally accepted position is if the RV was equipped with a rear ladder from the factory, the roof is "walkable". There are many ultra light units that are built with 1/4" thick decking that are considered "non-walkable". Keystone's Bullets and Passports are such two model lines.

However, going back 15 years, I think roofing materials were generally more robust and could handle the stepping weight of an upright adult. Decking may be 3/8 inches thick, kind of the industry standard for today's walk-on-roofs. This could be the case of your Outback, even though it didn't come with an OEM roof ladder.

A work-around for "thin decked roofs" to complete required regular inspections, maintenance, and cleanings is using an overlay material (like 2" thick foam board) that will span over the rafters and support a person's weight. I purchased a full 8x4' sheet and cut it down into equal 4x2' sections and use that to crawl around on. The foam board is soft enough to protect the rubber membrane but firm enough to disperse my weight.

With your roof being over 14 years old, the bigger concern is proper inspection of the roof penetrations and seams. I don't know how long you've owned your trailer. But with an aging coach, it's imperative that routine inspections be performed. That's nearly impossible from an adjacent, a-frame/extension ladder.

By the way, welcome to the site. Happy trails.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof