Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2019, 04:56 AM   #21
rhagfo

You might get some dry ice and try freezing the ball assembly.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #22
MustBeNice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
I agree, time for heat. Even a a plumbing torch should help. Heated up many a bolt and then a good whack.

Also maybe a pipe wrench with a cheater bar to twist it?
Yes, Thank you. "Heat" it was noted..... However, I'm not fond of heat in that location..... as stated it can go south in a hurry. Mainly due to the fact that on the RAM's there is a whole nest of hoses and lines that meet directly below the ball / on top of the rear differential. The easiest access point is from the bottom, right beside that mess! Not to mention the Line-X bed liner and the plastic ball beauty ring I'd rather not melt!

Possibly heat would work better & safer (and potentially cheaper on other possible repairs) once the bracket is removed from the truck!?
MustBeNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #23
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustBeNice View Post
Yes, Thank you. "Heat" it was noted..... However, I'm not fond of heat in that location..... as stated it can go south in a hurry. Mainly due to the fact that on the RAM's there is a whole nest of hoses and lines that meet directly below the ball / on top of the rear differential. The easiest access point is from the bottom, right beside that mess! Not to mention the Line-X bed liner and the plastic ball beauty ring I'd rather not melt!

Possibly heat would work better & safer (and potentially cheaper on other possible repairs) once the bracket is removed from the truck!?

Try twisting the ball with a pipe wrench. You might scar the ball, but it would be out and you could start fresh.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:40 PM   #24
MustBeNice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Try twisting the ball with a pipe wrench. You might scar the ball, but it would be out and you could start fresh.
No need for a pipe wrench..... as I can "spin" it freely by hand!
Old 05-07-2019, 01:27 PM   #25
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustBeNice View Post
No need for a pipe wrench..... as I can "spin" it freely by hand!

Well that’s nutter
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #26
n1282x

Why not keep what you have and just buy a Reese goose Box hitch and never have to worry about any of that interim pyramid? Plus this way you absolutely will have no problems voiding your fifth wheel chassis warranty
n1282x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #27
skmct

I know you probably feel you have exhausted the penatrating oil approach. But I have used them all on restoration projects and found that a home made product that is used by many branches of our military to be far superior to any purchased products. It is easy to make and the items are easy to obtain. You mix acetone and transmission fluid at a fifty fifty ratio. You might even have them in your garage and it won't cost you a dime to try. It has amazed me many times let it set overnight on the parts.
skmct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:31 AM   #28
MustBeNice

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1282x View Post
Why not keep what you have and just buy a Reese goose Box hitch and never have to worry about any of that interim pyramid? Plus this way you absolutely will have no problems voiding your fifth wheel chassis warranty
Yes, great idea and I thought about the Reese Goose Box as an option. But due to my parking arrangement didn't like how far it hung down & out so low..... as it would create issues backing my truck into the garage. Looking back I wish when we built the new garage that we would have positioned it a little differently.... to late now!
Old 05-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #29
MustBeNice

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmct View Post
I know you probably feel you have exhausted the penatrating oil approach. But I have used them all on restoration projects and found that a home made product that is used by many branches of our military to be far superior to any purchased products. It is easy to make and the items are easy to obtain. You mix acetone and transmission fluid at a fifty fifty ratio. You might even have them in your garage and it won't cost you a dime to try. It has amazed me many times let it set overnight on the parts.
I'll give it a try some day..... another I've heard from an old muffler shop owner is a shot of penetrating oil and a follow up shot of carb cleaner. Something in the reaction knocks stuff loose, or at least would allow rusted mufflers and pipes to come free of one another?!?!

But after completely removing the guts (balls free to fall out if not rusted in place) and lifting on the ball to the point the rear truck tires were off the ground.... I would have thought that force should have pushed the balls in?? I'll give the above methods a shot, but still thinking bracket removal and drilling small access holes to punch them back, is about my last option?!
Old 05-09-2019, 03:34 PM   #30
beeje

At work we have a product called Yield (spray). Its so nasty our environmental dept made use get rid of it because of what it contains. Worth a try.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:35 PM   #31
rhagfo

Well any progress in the last two weeks???
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:54 AM   #32
MustBeNice

No, sorry.... No progress in the last couple weeks. The B&W straddles it when mounted, so it wasn’t required to get it out for my current needs. But it will be out sometime this summer!! I’ll be trying heat or unbolting the hitch assembly from the truck to remove the ball while on the work bench...... I’ll post results when I have them!!