Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2019, 06:27 PM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarnold60 View Post
I don't understand why it takes so long.
Paperwork. It has to be generated at one desk, sent to another desk, assigned to a worker to pull off the shelf, sent to another worker to package it, sent to shipping/receiving to generate the shipping label, get picked up by the shipper....

7 days is actually very fast.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #22
jarnold60

I guess you are right. Still frustrating.
jarnold60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

I know how you feel. It’s extremely frustrating as a tech to have to “ put the unit in the back” and wait.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #24
sonofcy

Too bad there isn't a thingy with a keyboard and screen and magic wires that you can use to send the 'paperwork' to whoever needs it. Could save some time.
OR maybe they care more about selling new units than supporting the existing units.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:16 AM   #25
goodellj

I have good news and bad news: The good news is that the motor is really easy to replace. The bad news is that the motor will cost you $900. I had the same thing happen to me on a camping trip.

One suggestion: You may be able to get the motor to work again by tapping on it with a rubber mallet, or a heavy screwdriver with a rubber handle, or something similar. I don't know why this works but I wish I'd known about this when it happened to me.

The first time I had to manually operate my hydraulics with a drill, it was to retract and it took me a long time. Extending everything was similarly difficult. I got better and better after a little experience. It really helps a lot to have someone to assist you by watching the slides or legs, or watching a level placed on the floor. I had to label the hydraulic valves to avoid complete frustration and it was still confusing.

If I were you, I would buy a complete set of spare tools for the manual operation of the hydraulics. I needed a drill, a right angle drill bit adapter, a 1/4" hex bit, and a 5/32" hex wrench. You could borrow the spare drill or buy one and leave in the box to return unused later. I am suggesting this because I thought I was going to burn out my drill or wear out one of the other pieces.

I really meant it when I said the replacement of the power unit is easy for a DIY'er. If I can do it, ...
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #26
jarnold60

Already have them, thanks. The motor is covered under warrantee so no cost to me other than inconvienece. Just set everything up manually and it did not take too long.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:27 AM   #27
ChuckS

Glad you were able to manually operate levelers till motor comes in

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:31 AM   #28
travelin texans

For those not under warranty.
The pump is rebuildable as are the hydraulic leveling legs & a much cheaper solution than replacing with new. Find a local hydraulic shop in your area, if farming or oilfield in the area you'll find one & check it out.
I had a jack leaking, ask the shop about rebuilding it, they could do so for $100-150, new jack $500-600. But they walked me through a couple ideas to stop the leak & they worked to stop it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #29
jarnold60

Great info, thanks.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:04 AM   #30
sarahdove

Call Lippert and speak with a tech. They might be able to walk you through. This happened to our 2015 397 Fuzion a couple of months ago. We thought we had lost the pump also. 2 slides out and landing gear stuck down as we were loading up to leave the campground. After 4 hours of trying everything hubby finally got everything up and in manually. Let me tell you, manually is NOT a fun way to go. Anyway, we took it to an RV repair. The tech spoke with Lippert and all they did was reprogram the panel and remote. I know you don't have time as you have a trip planned, but might be worth a call; or take your rig to another repair place and let them diagnose. It only cost us 250.00, could have been worse. Good luck, and happy camping :-)
sarahdove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:05 AM   #31
ChuckS

What were the ideas to stop a hyd leak on the system? Also if you have a good local electric motor shop many can rebuild the electric motor as well.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:14 AM   #32
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
What were the ideas to stop a hyd leak on the system? Also if you have a good local electric motor shop many can rebuild the electric motor as well.
You're asking me about the leaking jack I suppose?
They said the 3 bolts at the bottom on a sort of triangular piece has a seal in it, they suggested to remove the 3 bolts, slide that piece down, clean it & the ram very well with silicone spray & reinstall it by turning it 1 hole off from it's original position. Fortunately that worked for mine.
They also suggested to wipe down & spray with the silicone spray each time you retract them & if extended for long periods to operate them occasionally to keep the seals lubricated, these suggestions were also recommended by the factory techs.
You can use WD40 silicone spray, but DO NOT use regular WD40 on the jacks or anything rubber, it will swell it up & ruin it. IMO regular WD40 is only good for rusted bolts.....
Recommended as well by the factory techs was to remove 1 qt of fluid from the hydraulic reservoir & replace with 15w anti stiction oil (motorcycle fork oil). This oil is better for the seals & is not affected by ambient temperature which prevents the jacks from popping & creaking when extended.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power