Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2019, 03:43 PM   #1
Tonkatoy77

Purchasing a Morryde pin box

I am wanting to purchase a Morryde pin box for my trailer. The question I have is which one should I get? My trailer has a GVWR of 11,500 lbs. The pin box with the part number ending in 03 are rated up to 11,500 lbs. The pin box with the part number ending in 04 is rated for trailers weighing 11,500-14,000. I will never go over my GVWR of 11,500 lbs, so should the 03 pin box be the one I get? I read that if you go with one rated for heavier than your trailer, it won’t be as effective in reducing chucking. And too light could make the chucking worse. What’s your opinion?
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
travelin texans

MorRyde has great customer service so my suggestion would call them for an accurate answer. As for me to answer I'd just be guessing.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:04 PM   #3
lunge motorsport

I currently tow with a MorRyde pin box. My trailers GVWR is 10,300. Last time I weighed I was under by about 500lb. During towing I could feel the shear spring move upon accel and decel all the way to the limit. At that point it would clunk uncomfortably. I had originally went with the recommendation from Moryde but after this problem I thought the rubber shear spring was too lite for the load. I sent an email describing the issue to their tech department. The reply was what I thought would be forthcoming, and it was unsatisfactory. They stated that the spring was engineered for that load and was correct. I reiterated that I thought the spring was too lite and mentioned that I would not be recommending their products to anyone who would listen. This seemed to strike a nerve and they agreed to send a heavier shear spring. This immediately improved the situation and I no longer feel the clunk as before. I do not feel any chucking but never did anyway with this pin box. So if I had to make a recommendation it would be to upgrade to the next heavier shear spring. I would now recommend this product as well.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:56 AM   #4
Brentw

I installed the 19k hitch on my 16.5 k rated trailer, glad I did, it moves. I would never install any thing that will be working at the limit, i like a bit of room before I hit design limits.
My advise, go up one size, they are not that stiff.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote