Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #1
Bechard

Question LED Strips vs String of lights on the awning

Hey folks,

Looking for some thoughts here, as we just got back from our second trip of the year, heading out again for our third. I'm really just curious what people like most.

I've noticed that many new RVs come with the LED strips at the top of the trailer, under the awning. Our Bullet Crossfire didn't come with an LED strip, and we went with awning hangers that can be rolled up with the awning (just take the hooks out first). I've got a nice string of incandescent lights hanging from the front of the awning, and the warm glow and colour is wonderful.

Do you prefer the LED strip on the trailer over light strings hung on the awning?

Here's a photo of our lights as we were setting up (arrived just before sundown!).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190612_211454.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	22358  
Bechard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:48 AM   #2
BauerAP

I don’t have pictures anymore but I added a RGB strip under the awning rail on the trailer. We really liked them and got a lot of positive comments. The solid white on our new Sprinter is almost too bright. What I would recommend is a RGBW(red/green/blue/white). It was remote operated and would change to any color we wanted. I’m to the point where I want to “setup and break down” as little as possible. If I can save 10 minutes of not taking little things up and down I’m all for it.

What we really liked was the same strip along the frame rail. It gave a good amount of light but was not blinding.
BauerAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:50 AM   #3
Bechard

Having always attached and ready lights is a good reason to go with LED strips. I also have a big bag of the classic 90's incandescent christmas bulbs and strings if I want something more colourful.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
newemptynester

We still have the same old lights we have had since our pop-up. We love to hang them up and enjoy the nostalgia.
2013 Laredo 29RKS

newemptynester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I installed LED strip lights on the awning roller tube. For us, the way we camp, having any kind of light next to the trailer door is an invitation to "swatting stuff before bed" so we prefer lights away from the doorway. It doesn't seem to matter if it's a strip LED light, a bright porch light or a yellow LED porch light, they all attract bugs around here, so we prefer the lights "out there where we can sneak into the trailer without them following.

We've had a number of light sets, everything from plastic trailers to cactus and cowboy hats. The LED's seem easier to use since all we need to do is turn on a switch and "voila" there's light..... They roll up with the awning so nothing extra to do when setting up or packing up.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog

We have the LED strip in the awning rail along the camper. Works great with or without the awning extended. One less thing to set up or take down
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAP View Post
I don’t have pictures anymore but I added a RGB strip under the awning rail on the trailer. We really liked them and got a lot of positive comments. The solid white on our new Sprinter is almost too bright. What I would recommend is a RGBW(red/green/blue/white). It was remote operated and would change to any color we wanted. I’m to the point where I want to “setup and break down” as little as possible. If I can save 10 minutes of not taking little things up and down I’m all for it.

What we really liked was the same strip along the frame rail. It gave a good amount of light but was not blinding.
Actually, this is what Airbus do with their cabin lighting. It can simulate any color temperature desired. When we fly to the US we go over on an A380 and I noticed that in the early morning when they want people to start waking up, they turn the cabin lights up and to a color resembling sunrise.
Our trailer has the LED strip mounted under the awning and as BauerAP said, we're all for anything that shortens our setup and packup. We have a routine that takes us about 10 minutes for either procedure.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:18 PM   #8
jsb5717

Had different kinds of lights over the years and would hang them like the OP...they add a nice flair to the campsite. Our last trailer was on Open Range with the LED strip in the awning tube so was only usefull when the awning was extended...pros and cons to that. They were nice in that they were away from the door and you could aim them by tilting the awning in or out a bit so they were less direct. However, not useable when the awning was rolled up.

Our new monty has the LED's at the top of the awning so always visible. It's pretty handy, but can be a bit bright. It's all we do, though, rather than hang another set.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:16 AM   #9
Bechard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Had different kinds of lights over the years and would hang them like the OP...they add a nice flair to the campsite. Our last trailer was on Open Range with the LED strip in the awning tube so was only usefull when the awning was extended...pros and cons to that. They were nice in that they were away from the door and you could aim them by tilting the awning in or out a bit so they were less direct. However, not useable when the awning was rolled up.

Our new monty has the LED's at the top of the awning so always visible. It's pretty handy, but can be a bit bright. It's all we do, though, rather than hang another set.
I can't say I've ever come across LED lights on the awning tube. Where are they attached?
Old 06-21-2019, 03:48 AM   #10
TJO

Mine came with the LED strip and I really don't use them much as they are really bright and I prefer the glow of the fire. That being said we have a light under our stairs that I keep on at night. Your picture looks very welcoming.

Cheers
TJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:27 AM   #11
UsTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I installed LED strip lights on the awning roller tube. For us, the way we camp, having any kind of light next to the trailer door is an invitation to "swatting stuff before bed" so we prefer lights away from the doorway. It doesn't seem to matter if it's a strip LED light, a bright porch light or a yellow LED porch light, they all attract bugs around here, so we prefer the lights "out there where we can sneak into the trailer without them following.

We've had a number of light sets, everything from plastic trailers to cactus and cowboy hats. The LED's seem easier to use since all we need to do is turn on a switch and "voila" there's light..... They roll up with the awning so nothing extra to do when setting up or packing up.
Exact same for us.. We prefer having the lights "out there".. We roll our LED's up in the awning also. But I do hook and unhook the power source to them.

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:31 AM   #12
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bechard View Post
I can't say I've ever come across LED lights on the awning tube. Where are they attached?
They are in one of the channels, where you would hang your own with the rubber hangers.

Similar to the attached
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	22372  
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:38 AM   #13
Scott902

Quote:
They are in one of the channels, where you would hang your own with the rubber hangers.

Similar to the attached
Those are nice. Ours are on the trailer under the awning. Personally not a fan of hanging lights on the end. They look nice, but with the way the wind can pick up, we often roll the awning in at night. Going out at 2am to remove lights to bring in the awning is not high on my list of things to do lol

15 Sierra SLT 1500 Max Tow 6.2
16 Springdale 27OLE
Scott902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:29 AM   #14
rjrelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott902 View Post
Those are nice. Ours are on the trailer under the awning. Personally not a fan of hanging lights on the end. They look nice, but with the way the wind can pick up, we often roll the awning in at night. Going out at 2am to remove lights to bring in the awning is not high on my list of things to do lol
We always go with the string of big colored Christmas lights but I have to agree with it being a pain to unclip everything to roll up the awning when a storm rolls in in the middle of the night. Got the LED palm tree for father's day last year. Still need to set up a tiki bar and get the matching LED flamingos. Yes, we are "those" campground neighbors.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	40118383_10216538587523360_4062134644982677504_n.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	22376  

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:45 AM   #15
larryflew

Ours is an add on RGM strip from China through Ebay. It rolls up with the awning so it is not usable if the awning is up. I do like the ability to switch light color as the ones other than white don't attract as many bugs. We also have blue LED puddle lights so a lot of the time these are also set to blue.

The whites are bright and about the only time they are on is in AZ when there are no bugs.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:36 AM   #16
apachewolf

LED light strip.

Keystone had "forgotten" to install the strip on our 2015 Laredo. Dealer did it, and they lasted 1 month than dimmed so you barely knew if they were on. It turned out they were 5000 or 7000 Kelvin, way too white. I got a strip on the internet that were only 2500 Kelvin, which is a warm yellowish light. It took me about 1 hour to replace the strip and they have worked great. Price was only $ 23.00 with shipping and all. Most of the strips installed are, in my opinion, WAY too white. It's like sitting at a bus terminal.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:18 PM   #17
Mainer

Please say NO to annoying lights

One of the biggest reasons we go camping is to get away from the lights. If you want to put them up for the Holidays, fine. The rest of the year, unless you are outside, keep them off.

Your neighbors just might be wanting enjoy the stars they can't see in town or trying to sleep.
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #18
KSH

Christmas shotgun shellsClick image for larger version

Name:	20190420_211009.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	22552
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:35 PM   #19
mikz86ta

Probably some of this has been said...but here is my take.

Our Fuzion 5th wheel has a LED strip on each side awning. We have a side patio model FZ420 which also has a shorter LED strip that is facing away from our RV side on the patio area. There are 2separate switches for the awning strips and the patio strip.
Other RVs I've seen place the LED against the side of the RV like our friends Jayco Pinnacle.

With us having sort of both here is my take. The one for the patio which faces away from the RV is nice when you are out there relaxing and your view is outward towards nature...or when you are inside and looking outside. But turn to view the outside entertainment TV which is also on the side of the RV, and you have a blinding glare.
The awning strip LEDs will also give a glare if you are inside or on the patio looking outside. Now rolling the awning more in or out allows you to sort of adjust it.
I like having both. And I like the rear awning having a strip to aid in night time grilling or locking up the motorcycles.
I prefer to be able to adjust brightness on both and want to look into a dimmable option.
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:41 PM   #20
Desert Dog

Quote:

Similar to the attached
Do you need to unplug the power source prior to rolling up awning? I want to add some to that location but getting to the power cable to unplug could be a a pain if some strong winds or a storm comes up quick.

Thanks!

Tags
led, lights, light, awning