Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > Forum Admin, News & Member Account Info
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
fourfourto

threads closed ?

I have used many forums
442 (several)
hummer (several)
fun finder (RV Cruiser)
+ more
never had I seen a closed thread

Here they close them for many reasons some seem like a waste of time to close?
All gun threads are closed quickly it seems.

This is ridiculous
just leave threads open.

someone post badly or inappropriate = BAN THEM

lets see how long this thread gets closed

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:31 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Forum management can take on several "faces".... What you've seen on other forums is a part of why they have a reputation of "name calling", "being explosive", "making people angry", and a host of other "problems"....

If a comment thread turns to a highly controversial topic, if we start "banning people for saying things" the "low hanging fruit" is still "hanging to entice more comments" and cause more people to be banned. Rather than "go fishing for people to piss off" this forum has more or less decided that ending the controversial discussion is more effective than banning the controversial people for making a comment.

Seems to be a management decision that has worked to keep this forum as one of the more friendly ones rather than one with the reputation of being a place to get "nailed with bull****"....

I think it's a better approach and find it's worked to keep harmony without a "ban hammer approach".... Maybe, after reconsidering and watching how our system really works, you'll agree.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

There are lots of reasons that the Moderators close a thread. Most (almost all) have to do with violations of our forum rules. (See the link at the bottom of every forum page) When tempers get heated and the $hi.. starts flying, a warning to calm down is issued and a chance to change the tone. Usually this is short term fix, the posts go off the rails again, and it is closed. The actions of banning a member is never discussed in the open with the Forum members, it is an action that is only discussed by all the Mods. No one makes a decision on actions like this in a vacuum.

Guns are left to discuss until it goes off the rails, which is almost every time, given enough time, after several requests to stay on topic Do a search on guns on the Forum and you will see that we do try to let these run and do not automatically close them.

We also close posts in the Classifieds when the item is SOLD as confirmed by the OP. This makes sense to not leave them open if the item is no longer available.

Same with the post this morning. The OP had requested for help with the purchase of a specific trailer that he was considering to purchase. In a different post also posted today, he stated that the original trailer had been sold and he had moved and was now looking at a different trailer and was asking for help with it instead. I closed the other thread, as commenting about it would not help him any more because of the change in his circumstances. Made sense to me, but I left it open if anyone disagreed with my reasoning and could give a reason to keep it open. Just send me a PM with the reason. The reason was simply to help the OP out to get help with his new questions and to avoid energy spent by the Forum on answering a dead question.

I hope that this explains what was going on behind the curtain. If not, I'm all ears, or in this case, all eyes.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
xrated

As an Admin on one motorcycle forum, and a Super Moderator on a different motorcycle forum, I have had to close threads and I've also had to ban people. Banning is NOT my first choice, but it does happen when, after repeated warnings about whatever the issue is, they still do not comply. It is almost NEVER a permanent ban unless they become abusive or threatening to a forum member or our forum staff.

Closing threads is a very useful tool for stopping a thread that is in a downward spiral...for whatever reason. All forums have posted rules that pertain to what IS allowed....and what ISN'T allowed, both in content and how forum members should treat other forum members. Many forums do not allow the discussion of politics and religion, unless they are of course, a forum for those topics.

Guns/weapons etc. is also a pretty emotionally charged topic that some forums keep a very close set of reins on. From what I've seen, the three different RV forums that I'm on, will allow legitimate gun questions...questions about concealed carry and how to do it legally while travelling in your RV. The problems usually start when someone brings the political side of gun ownership and use into the conversation. Again, from what I've seen, so long as folks are contributing useful info about that topic (How to legally carry when travelling in your RV), the thread stays open. Once that topic starts veering off course, or turns political, the plug is pulled. To be left open, really serves no useful purpose, and likely will become an issue either sooner or later.

Oh, one other way to get an instant/permanent ban is Spamming on the forums I Moderate or serve as an Admin.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
fourfourto

Just surprised how many threads are closed.

Sometimes off subjects not so bad.

It is a very active and current website and is monitored more then others by many people.

I do find it very informative and get answers to questions quickly.

At this time i'm not disputing any closed threads but good to know it could be reopened if a need arose.
thanks for response
John

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto View Post
Just surprised how many threads are closed.

Sometimes off subjects not so bad.

It is a very active and current website and is monitored more then others by many people.

I do find it very informative and get answers to questions quickly.

At this time i'm not disputing any closed threads but good to know it could be reopened if a need arose.

thanks for response

John
Not a problem and this is a great question. We are here to serve the community not keep everyone in the cookie cutter. Some days are easier than others. It's good for the members to see what all goes on behind the scenes. We have a very special community here and it is worth maintaining it. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I think thread closures are useful and needed. This forum hits a pretty happy medium on doing that. I belong to some (or belonged) that would let a conversation get to the point that it should never get to. When a thread is going that direction here it is closed; and should be IMO.

As far as guns, religion, politics - those things are just too volatile anymore. Decades ago you could talk about those things and disagree and still be friends. Nowadays, things can get ugly fast. Guns have been a topic of many threads and they usually go pretty well. There are times when a person's feelings toward them can veer off tangent but by and large we have had some very productive conversations. JMO YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote