Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2018, 11:37 AM   #21
KSH

No. You'll want it all hooked up. Front axel on front pad rear axel on second pad, trailer on third pad.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #22
fjr vfr

It's only $2 more for the re-weigh. When you drive back on the scale tell them it's a re-weigh and give them the ticket number from the previous weigh.
And just leave the wife at home while doing it before your trip.
You can not have too much information when it comes to both safety and reliability of your truck and trailer.

Even if you are within your capacities proper loading is just as important.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:39 PM   #23
Getn off

Easy if I lived near a scale. All day event for me to take the trailer out, run to scales, and repark it back at home down a very long curvy driveway that I must back down!
I may stop by a scale and have my truck axels weighed and use math. I fail to see how a reweigh of the whole thing with produce different numbers that I cannot decipher from using simple math.
Or, I may give it another shot our next venture out...thanksgiving weekend, if wifey lets me!
Troy
2018 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw…Gone.
2021 F350 CC 6.7 PSD drw Platinum…Gone
Getn off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:01 AM   #24
mazboy

you are over thinking the whole thing. you are just good to go.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

I disagree. It is NEVER "overthinking" to know what your rig weighs......

That said, if you reweigh your truck with the hitch in the bed, you should be able to get "pretty close" to the axle weights and using math, get close to the pin weight. Keep in mind that without your DW in the truck, you're going to be "off a bit" based on her weight and anything else that might have been unloaded or used (fuel, etc).

Ideally, weighing at the beginning of a trip will give you an "exact weight", but that will only be valid for that "moment in time" as holding tank contents, propane, food, cargo in the bed of the truck, fuel in the truck will all change with every mile you travel down the road.... Nobody tries to get an "exact weight" every trip, and most "survive" with weighing once and never weighing again. Heck, there are some who have no idea what their rig weighs, but "it doesn't sag or lean" so it must be good.

I'd say that using your known weights from the "strangely conducted weigh" and reweighing your truck so you know what's on each axle, you'll be able to deduce close approximations. That'll give you a good idea of where you stand.

My suggestion would be to draw two outlines of your rig. On the top one, write the weights under each axle as it was done on the first weigh, then, on the bottom one, write the weights on the truck axles from the reweigh. Then use "algebra to solve for X and Y" (trailer pin weight and truck rear axle weight)....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote