Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #21
MotownJG

My wife never, ever drives the truck towing our 5th wheel. Not ever-never. Nothing against her ( I've loved her to death these past 38 years and hope for 38 more). It's also not me denigrating women in general. This is just her specific personality type- she's an anxious about driving in general
sorta person and she knows it.

Sometimes I wish she could drive the rig, especially in an emergency, but then I think about it and realize that I wouldn't enjoy it if she could.
Hoping to leave California in the next year.
MotownJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:04 PM   #22
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie & Bev View Post
When we had our Colorado and the 177LHS Bev drove it some on the interstate. We have since upgraded and have a Silverado 2500HD 4X4 that she has driven around town. She has not tried pulling our larger trailer. We need to get her started on learning to pull it.
Hey Willie, when you head west this season let her drive I-10 between San Antonio & ElPaso she'll be a pro with the new rig after that 300+ miles.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #23
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Probably wouldn't be good if she drove, everytime I look over at her the eyes are closed. I wouldn't have let her drive to day went from Gunnison,Co to Denver.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:44 PM   #24
Old Mustanger

Wife uses the truck as her daily driver since I made her trade her Navigator for it and she's scared of the Mustangs, but she refuses to even try to drive with the trailer hitched.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:31 PM   #25
FlyingAroundRV

DW Doesn't drive the truck.

Does fly the plane though.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:50 AM   #26
Laredo Tugger

roadglide's quote: "Im sure it's the reason we very seldom get lost and travel the scenic route."
Well when we do get lost,to avoid a fight we just both agree it is the "scenic route".

No. DW does not drive at this time but it has been discussed if necessary. The large empty parking lot sounds like the perfect training ground.
After what happened the other day,I was glad I was driving. Had a major problem that I got real lucky with and was back on the road in about half an hour. And yes...that will not happen again. Guaranteed.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:16 AM   #27
spade117

My wife has not driven while we have towed our campers, but she has towed a jet-ski trailer on one of the trips we went on a few years back while I towed the camper.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:47 PM   #28
Retired Copper

After getting everything set up with the new camper and tv I have no problem relaxing while she pulls on the interstate. I would never let her tow with the other tv.Observation camera, tpm, higher load rated and speed rated tires, e4 and 3/4 ton truck all made what I was looking for in a towing experience.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:34 AM   #29
Irv gates

Well! When me and my wife started 5th wheeling, she wasnt into driving at all. at the time we were using a F250 and it moved around a little bit on the road with the 31 Ft,11k trailer. When we moved up to the Dually diesel it was a whole new world. She will drive the rig now and thats with the new 39ft 5th wheel. She says "The truck just holds the road better and you dont notice the semis going bye as bad" . I agree, that extra truck weight & Dual rear wheels, helps control the handling better.
Irv gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:40 AM   #30
Benny

Both should drive

My wife and I both drive or 14,000 lb 5th wheel with our F350 and previously our older 3500 silverado. Together we have over a 95 years of driving experience. Sharon has driven her pickup coast to coast, and I have driven on both sides of the road (not drunk it is legal in london and Burmuda) in other countries I think having a rested driver every couple of hours may be more important than all those years and miles we have driven.
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #31
larryflew

My wife is 69 and loves driving the 3500 dragging a 37 foot 5th wheel and does a great job. Last year she did almost all of the AZ to MN trip back home do to my hip problem. New hip works better than the old one has for years BTW.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:04 PM   #32
RayT

My wife drives ~1/3 to 1/2 the trips. She just doesn't want to drive through the big cities like Phoenix, or in the campgrounds. Sharing the driving makes for much better travel days.

Similarly, I take care of dumping and climbing the tanks, airing the tires etc. However, my wife will occasionally do these with my assistance, just so she knows how.

Had a friend who messed his hand getting their TT ready for the trip home. His wife has never driven their rig so he had to drive home in pain with a broken finger.

Even if the spouses don't regularly drive I highly recommend getting them to at least give it a try every so often, in case of a future emergency. Maybe between rest areas on a less busy highway for example. If the only driver does experience some emergency, that's not the time for a spouse to learn. Just my 2¢
RayT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:25 PM   #33
Robert Campbell

My husband and I always share the driving. I was raised on a farm and driving has been a part of my life for many years. Backing peanut trailers in very small spots under shelters to hook up to drying tunnels was how I began. When I turned 12 I went from backing trailers with a tractor to using a manual, column shift truck. We have owned a 25' Prowler, 27' Prowler, 18' Grey Wolf and now a 2018 328 RL Outback and I have pulled all of them. The shared driving was very helpful when we took a cross country trip last year from NC to MT to AZ and back to NC. It is not for everyone, but shared driving works for us.
Robert Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #34
johnlewis

My wife likes driving our rig (3500 DRW Ram & 37' 5er). She does at least 1/2 of the driving. She doesn't like backing into a site, so I do that with her on the walkie-talkie to help me in. I like having the help driving, and I think it is important for her to know how, in case something happens to me, and she HAS to drive.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #35
LaTundra

I wanted DW to learn how to back up my NEW Tundra to hookup the TT. No problem, she did great. Feeling good about herself, she asked to pull it out the spot. No problem. Feeling better about herself, she asked to drive it to the campground gate. She did wonderful! Feeling really, really good, she asked to drive out the gate on the county road. She did GREAT! Then, when we're getting close to the interstate, she asked to get on the interstate pulling the TT. I said okay, but we should stop for gas first. She looked at the gauge and said it was half way. I thought I had less than that, but okay. We get on the interstate, after we pass the last gas station for the next 20 miles, she says, "a little yellow light came on". That's the low fuel warning light. I thought you said it was half way. She looked at the gauge again and said "Yes, it's half way between the C and the H"! #lasttimeshedrovemytruck.
1 very sweet Dear Wife
3 mean cats and a one-eyed dawg.

Previous campers/tow vehicles:
73 Apache Mesa hard side popup/74 Chevy Nova 350 cid 3sp m
96 Coleman Shenandoah popup/91 Toyota Extended cab 2.4l 5sp m
04 KZ Frontier 2101QSF/00 Toyota Tundra 4.7l 4sp a
LaTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:42 PM   #36
66joej

"Yes, it's half way between the C and the H"! #lasttimeshedrovemytruck.

Now that I can believe! Did I just sat that?

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:50 PM   #37
RV802

My wife and I share the driving equally. We shoot for 2 hour (mostly a bit more, never less) intervals. It’s worked well for us and we can manage the occasional 10 hour day that way.
RV802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:56 AM   #38
Jdfloriano

Every Time!

I am the wife. I’ve driven cab over campers, rv trailers and fifth wheels. I’ve also test driven class A’s. But I started driving tractors with trailers and farming implements since high school.

I’ve driven out now Fifth wheel in heavy rain, on curves roads, and up and down steep grades. Sometimes with my husband and sometimes not.

My husband is disabled now but had worked on his families dairy farm for 23 years. So if we wanted an adventure it had to be by me.

I don’t let much tie me down and will try most anything. I even use our rig for work if I have to out of town for more than three days. I at least feel like I am coming home instead of a hotel room.

Oh yes, and I can back it up and put it exactly where it was before we left. And without direction from my husband. He’ll ask, “do you need help?” I say, “No thank you, I’ve got this.” He doesn’t question it.

Ladies don’t be scared. And if your husband won’t teach you I will. We live in California!
Jdfloriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:06 AM   #39
UsTwo

My wife refuses to drive and or back into a spot.. She did a little with a Hybrid we had. but not with the Cougar

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #40
TLB

My wife said that she would try. She also said we have insurance on something happens it will be covered.
But she also said she is not backing it up into a camp site.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote