Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2018, 04:37 AM   #41
tim5055

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
But the "bow-wave" that is being discussed will still push your rig. Sway isn't the only thing that affects tow vehicle/trailer handling.
A side wind is always going to push the rig sideways. The difference is that the ProPride and the older design Hensley Arrow (both designed by Jim Hensley) project the pivot point forward to the rear axle of the tow vehicle. They both bolt over and block out the conventional ball and the hitch becomes the pivot. This projected pivot point give the stability of a fifth wheel rig.

I have several thousand miles on my ProPride 3P and have never had any sway. On my last trip back form Orlando there were extreme side winds the entire length of Florida. My F-250 and Coachmen tracked as one single unit the entire time.

They are well worth the money.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:57 AM   #42
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
A side wind is always going to push the rig sideways. The difference is that the ProPride and the older design Hensley Arrow (both designed by Jim Hensley) project the pivot point forward to the rear axle of the tow vehicle. They both bolt over and block out the conventional ball and the hitch becomes the pivot. This projected pivot point give the stability of a fifth wheel rig.

I have several thousand miles on my ProPride 3P and have never had any sway. On my last trip back form Orlando there were extreme side winds the entire length of Florida. My F-250 and Coachmen tracked as one single unit the entire time.

I'm glad the hitch you have works for you. It's ONE solution to a problem, but certainly not the ONLY solution.

While you're advocating your hitch, would you explain how a motorhome (with no articulation or hitch) is affected by side winds and bow wave forces and your rig isn't? Even on my motorcycle, I'm affected by side winds (and need to lean into the wind to stay in position on the roadway. It's fun <not really> when going under overpasses where the side wind isn't present. Bow waves from approaching trucks affect me when in my truck (towing or not) and certainly affect me when riding my cycle. In fact, in some situations, the bow wave from an 18 wheeler will literally lift the helmet on my head, pulling on the chin strap which is all that keeps it from being ripped off. How is it that your hitch stops that kind of force? I've never had that explained, maybe you can offer an explanation ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #43
Gegrad

Quote:

Cool story. Guess what? I haven't had any sway with my Husky Centerline 4pt sway control hitch either. So to summarize, you haven't had any sway; I haven't had any sway. The only difference? I have an extra $1000 in my wallet to spend on camping!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #44
KSH

Why attack him, he's just stating his experience like the rest of us..
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #45
tim5055

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
Why attack him, he's just starting his experience like the rest of us..
Yup, thanks. For some reason I seem to attract negative comments. It may be the way i talk/write, but I'm too old to change.

I can agree, maybe my hitch is overkill and a little overpriced. But I did a lot of research on sway before I moved up from pop-ups to the larger TT. The thing that pushed me over the top was pulling into a campground that was having an Airstream rally. If you watch, these are folks who tend to tow a longer trailer with a less than optimal tow vehicle. Yea, I'm painting with a wide brush here, but that is what it appears. I would say 2/3 of the people there were using a Hensley designed hitch. Walking around talking to them to a person anyone who had the hitch related that they had never encountered a sway situation with that hitch. Several of them told stories of having the same trailer and tow vehicle with other WD/antisway hitches and having extreme sway problems.

I have had sidewinds and semi's pass with my current set up. the difference is that with this hitch the wind blast of the passing semi can't start the rear of my trailer moving as it starts to pass. It forces the entire rig (truck & trailer) to move together as a single unit in a straight line.

Sway is one of those things in life that have many moving parts that can cause, suppress or eliminate it. In the end we just have to make decisions based on the safety of our families.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #46
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Yup, thanks. For some reason I seem to attract negative comments. It may be the way i talk/write, but I'm too old to change.

I can agree, maybe my hitch is overkill and a little overpriced. But I did a lot of research on sway before I moved up from pop-ups to the larger TT. The thing that pushed me over the top was pulling into a campground that was having an Airstream rally. If you watch, these are folks who tend to tow a longer trailer with a less than optimal tow vehicle. Yea, I'm painting with a wide brush here, but that is what it appears. I would say 2/3 of the people there were using a Hensley designed hitch. Walking around talking to them to a person anyone who had the hitch related that they had never encountered a sway situation with that hitch. Several of them told stories of having the same trailer and tow vehicle with other WD/antisway hitches and having extreme sway problems.

I have had sidewinds and semi's pass with my current set up. the difference is that with this hitch the wind blast of the passing semi can't start the rear of my trailer moving as it starts to pass. It forces the entire rig (truck & trailer) to move together as a single unit in a straight line.

Sway is one of those things in life that have many moving parts that can cause, suppress or eliminate it. In the end we just have to make decisions based on the safety of our families.

I agree with what you are saying....but;

There are some on here that have a Hensley/ProPride for exactly the reasons you mention above, trying to compensate for an inadequate tow vehicle at some point. Because they accomplished that, I don't consider them the "best thing in the world for every application". Those folks paid a premium for the hitch to try to make up for the fact they skimped on the TV.

A properly equipped truck/hitch/trailer will perform exactly as the Hensley/Propride without spending the extra $$$. I think the rub comes when someone with those expensive hitches, bought for whatever reason, comes in and implies 1) if you don't have one yours can't be as good and 2) they are safer and those that bought them care more for their families than others (read your last sentence). That's simply not the case and in some instances could possibly cause a new owner to spend hundreds of dollars needlessly due to misinformation. Just my thoughts.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #47
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I agree with what you are saying....but;

A properly equipped truck/hitch/trailer will perform exactly as the Hensley/Propride without spending the extra $$$. I think the rub comes when someone with those expensive hitches, bought for whatever reason, comes in and implies 1) if you don't have one yours can't be as good and 2) they are safer and those that bought them care more for their families than others (read your last sentence). That's simply not the case and in some instances could possibly cause a new owner to spend hundreds of dollars needlessly due to misinformation. Just my thoughts.
Well said Danny, well said.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #48
Northofu1

I wish there were places in the Toronto area (Other than MTO) to get my TT/TV weighed to figure this out. The problem in Ontario is if you weigh at the MTO truck inspection station and you're over, they pull it off road immediately until it weighs under. I don't think my set up is overweight, but now I'm scared lol

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:38 PM   #49
JRTJH
Site Team

Northofu1

There are three CAT scales in Toronto, located near the airport. All of them are private scales, at truck stops, and not associated with any "official government function"... They are used by truckers to get their trucks weighed and then to decide either to "risk it" or to download cargo. None of their weights are reported to officials. You can go there and weigh your rig without fear.

The three CAT scales are located here:

Husky Truckstop
HWY 401 & Exit 346
Mississauga, ON L5R1B9

Flying J Travel Plaza
1400 Brittannia Road
Mississauga, ON l4W 1C8

BVD Mississauga
Highway 401 & Exit 346
Mississauga, ON L5T 2W5

If you are concerned with whether they will "report you" just call before you to to reassure yourself that you're "safe weighing to be safe"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:09 PM   #50
cookinwitdiesel

I have not hit the road yet with my new setup, but Camping World provided one of these:

https://www.campingworld.com/round-b...on-kit-1000-lb

As my WDH hitch setup. I upgraded the shank to a Curt 2.5" so I do not have to use the sleeve adapter with my truck. I know that I have a heavy TV (should end up about the same weight as the trailer when both are loaded) which helps, but the little friction bar seems like a dinky afterthought to me. Are they effective at all?

My dad has a 2007 3500HD DRW Duramax and doesn't even bother with the round bars when pulling the same trailer with his truck. He claims he never has sway problems. I do not think I am as bold as him, but also have zero experience so want to hear from you veterans I tend to err on the side of caution (already got Goodyear Endurance tires coming for the trailer).

Thanks!
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote