Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
kidyounger

Wheel bearings

I have a alpine 3400rs with about 4500 miles. When should you have the wheel bearings repacked
kidyounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #2
Frank G

Your first bearing pack should be done soon, I did mine at 15 months and about 4500 miles. Found leaking seals and loose bushings in the actuating arm. Dexter replaced the complete assemblies under there 2 year warrantee program. Contact Dexter directly, I filled out the warrantee form online with pictures, they responded quickly, the only question I asked was; Is this a safety Issue? End of conversation.

Sorry about the upside down picture!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180710_101235.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	17889  
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #3
kidyounger

wheel bearings

thanks Ill probably get them done before I head to Arizona
Old 08-06-2018, 06:59 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyounger View Post
thanks Ill probably get them done before I head to Arizona
Get them done??? Or do them yourself???

The reason I ask this question is to be sure you understand that if you go to a RV service center and tell them to "lube your wheel bearings" or "check the grease in my wheel bearings", they may simply use a grease gun and "squirt a little grease in the zerk fitting".... We've had more than a few members get charged for "repacking the wheel bearings and adjusting the brakes" who thought they were getting a "disassembly, inspection, hand repacking bearings, replacement grease seals and brake inspection/adjustment" but in reality, all they got was a "zerk fitting grease addition and brake adjustment"...

So, specify exactly what you want: Wheel disassembly, bearing cleaning/regreasing, brake inspection and adjustment after reassembling the wheel. Otherwise, you really won't know what they did.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:06 AM   #5
travelin texans

The best way to know for sure what's what is to do it yourself! If you haven't before surely you know someone that has that would help you through it, it's messy, but not difficult. Once you've done yourself you KNOW it's been done by someone that actually gives a s##t of how it turns out.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #6
fjr vfr

Agree 100% with the previous two posts. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself follow what John said.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #7
kidyounger

what is the average cost to have them done right, I just don't have the time to do it myself
Old 08-07-2018, 05:13 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyounger View Post
what is the average cost to have them done right, I just don't have the time to do it myself
You need to spec what you want done as if you were doing it. I have mine done simply because I can't get down (then get back up) and jack it up, pull the wheels etc. When they do mine I am over their shoulder. Some places won't let you do that.

Average cost is going to depend largely on where you are in the country and the dealer. My cost, out here in W TX has been as low as $120 and as much as $200 without replacing the bearings. I will be doing that in a month or so. The work is really actually simple and pretty quick if nothing is wrong.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:27 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

I ran out of time this year and told the shop I visit to do it and did not ask the price. 225 for my listed trailer. That was the whole thing, remove, clean, inspect, new rear seals, repack, inspect brakes and change tire positions at same time.
I could have done it it maybe 4 hours and for 30- 40 bucks. I work slow. Them maybe 1.5 hours.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote