Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
kinggartk

Once in a lifetime trip suggestions

My family is looking to plan about a 10-14 day cross country trip for sometime in 2019. It's probably the only chance we will get to do this with our kids (12 and 15), so we want it to be special. We live in North Carolina and trying to decide the best route and destination we should choose.

One choice is going to Mt. Rushmore with a stop at the Ark Experience in KY and visit friends in Omaha along the way.

Another choice would be a trip to the Grand Canyon with some various stops along the way.

I Might also consider a trip to Yellowstone or other National Parks.

What other destinations might you suggest outside of these I've already mentioned? We are not set in stone on any specific destination or route at this point. We want to make sure we pick something memorable.

2018 Keystone Bullet Crossfire 2510BH
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost Super Cab
kinggartk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
Steveo57

If this is a once in a lifetime trip I'd shoot for as much time as possible. Even 14 days would be a tough time table for a trip out west and back. Considering that it will be 6-8 long days of driving to just get out and back to most of those locations you mentioned there's not a lot of time left for sightseeing or relaxing.

At that age they would probably find Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, Grand Tetons, Devil's Tower, Custer area very interesting and lot's to see and do.

We did a trip like that long ago with our two boys who were a few years younger. But it took almost five weeks and did a grand loop from Connecticut down South then out to California and then back along the northern route. Almost 10,000 miles and a lot of driving!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #3
DanaJan

If you go to Yellowstone, head over to I-15 and go south. There are several really scenic national parks in Utah.
DanaJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
Canonman

We can definitely agree that your first three choices are good ones. Here is a link to a couple of albums from Mt. Rushmore and Custer State Park http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...hp?albumid=775
and Grand Canyon http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...hp?albumid=851
If time permits, I'd recommend Grand Canyon, Zion Canyon, Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef all in one trip. Don't forget Arches NP as an option as well.
If you decide on Yellowstone be sure to include a few days at Teton NP.
Feel free to PM me if you'd like more details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0200.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	15680   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0689 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	15681   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1658 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	15682   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_8033 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	15683  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
SummitPond

Depending on your route to Mt. Rushmore, South Dakota is chock full of wonderful things to see. The Corn Palace in Mitchell; the Minuteman Missile National Monument and the Badlands National Park just outside of Wall (and of course the drug store in Wall); several caves and the state park in the Black Hills themselves; and what has been previously mentioned.

We camped just outside of Custer at the Heritage Village Campground with a view (in good weather, which we didn't have!) of the Crazy Horse Memorial.

Have a wonderful time.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
instymp

Mt Rushmore, Badlands, Custer State park, Deadwood. Did it last year in our Explorer from Asheville area, 4000 miles. All I wished for was to have pulled our 5er.
Was unreal. A must in a bucket list.
instymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
gearhead

I think I would concentrate on 1 area. Kids may not enjoy 6-10 hours in the car then get out to look at some rocks and then get back in the car. Do some whitewater rafting, horseback riding, zip line, hiking, steam train, etc. Go somewhere and stay 3-4 days and maybe go somewhere else a few days.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Badlands, Wall Drugs, Missle Silo, Rapid City, Needles Highway, tons to do.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #9
notanlines

Okay, I'll be the bad guy here. Steveo scratched the surface, but backed out at the last minute. You, my friend, are 2,300 miles from Yellowstone. You have 5,000 miles to drive including a little running around. It simply cannot be done in 14 days and make it a "once in a lifetime" trip.
First, ignore the Utah visit advice. It should be reserved for the next "once in a lifetime" trip. It is worth the time!
Second, ditch the visiting friends in wherever. Friends should not be visited on your kind of trip. Your kids are going to frown on "you and good ol' Frank talking over old war stories."
Third, get in that RV in Raleigh and don't slow down until you get on the other side of Minnesota. Not that there isn't something to see along the way; there certainly is. But all of those places are within driving distance most any other time. You are going on a once in a lifetime trip, in only 14 days, and you want it to be "once in a lifetime" for all the right reasons, not because your angry wife left you in Nebraska with no cash and an empty gas tank.
I vote along the lines of South Dakota, Wyoming, maybe a quick clip into Montana and Idaho while that close, and then make a mad dash home.
I also think you need a minimum of seven more days for this trip. Have a GREAT time!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I understand the sentiment, but I agree with Jim.

I'm afraid the only memorable experience your teens will have are the "endless hours" of towing a trailer. The places you want to visit are exquisite and need LOTS of time to do justice; for the site and for the kids. I would hate for you to go to the effort and it all just turn into crap......I've had a couple of those "once in a lifetime" trips do just that.

If there is any way to stretch the time past 14 days, you need to do that. I took my family on a "once in a lifetime" vacation in 84. Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and a couple of other places I don't recall. Had 14 days and I was heading out from NM and not pulling a trailer. What do the kids (now 50 and 45) remember?......lots of driving. We tried to cram so much into so little time that most of the fun stuff (grizzly destroying a campsite next to us at Jenny Lake in the Grand Tetons) they have forgotten. Take the time; find the right places and let them enjoy where they're at. Wonderful, lifetime memories can be made in many places.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking at Google Maps, from Raleigh to Wall, SD, Mt Rushmore, then on to Devil's Tower and Yellowstone, Dinosaur National Monument, Denver and back to Raleigh is a total of 4700 miles. Averaging 50 MPH (a good pace towing a trailer) is 94 hours of "driving time". That's a bit more than nine "10 hour days". That only leaves 4 or 5 days of "no driving" for a two week vacation.

That's an ambitious "git 'er done" kind of trip for most people. If you want to "stop and enjoy the sites" along the way, it will take quite a bit more time.

We did a similar trip a couple years ago. We included Craters of the Moon and Twin Falls, ID. Leaving northern Michigan, we were gone for 7 weeks and "felt rushed at times". I couldn't imagine doing it in 10-14 days and having time to actually "slow down and see something"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #12
ChuckS

Looks like about 1700 miles from NC to Mt Rushmore. That’s at least 3 hard days driving alone. It would take me a minimum of 4 days...

Yellowstone from your location with only 14 days total is .... well... I wouldn’t plan on doing it...

Towing and driving that kind of mileage just really needs much more time. Otherwise it’s just gonna be a lot of long days

Wish you folks well in your endeavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:05 PM   #13
Canonman

I'll have to agree with others who have commented, 10 to 14 days once you are in the area of your destination would be a good guide. We spent 10 days in Custer State Park and took full day trips almost every day we were there. Same with Yellowstone/Teton NP. Something the DW and I both agree on "travel days are not inclusive of vacation days"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_7378 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	15686  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:32 PM   #14
B-O-B'03

Howdy kinggartk,

We took a long trip when the kids were little (5 & 6 maybe), in a full sized custom van and spent 23ish days doing it, camping in a 2 room tent... the trip home, from Long Beach CA was a 26 hour straight shot. There was a lot of driving and then a few days of doing the coolest stuff and seeing the most amazing things ever... The kids still remember the "Big Trip" and they are in their 30s now, I will certainly never forget it.

The total mileage was 5200ish, it was not for the faint of heart and I was whupped when we got home, but I had to get back to work.

If you do the GC trip, you are looking at ~4500 miles and 10+ days of just getting there and back, a lot of driving for not much staying. I would look at something closer or add at least another week.

-Brian
Old 03-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #15
busterbrown

I'll cast my vote too and say you won't have enough time at any of your forementioned destinations. Driving westward from Raleigh to the Grand Canyon would take 36 hours if driven non-stop. Realistically, double that time as your pulling a trailer and traveling with your entire family. So, a total of 6 days of travel time out of 10. Your kids will be miserable. For a 'grand' adventure like this, you'll need about 3 weeks to enjoy it.

Have you thought about the Canadian Maritimes up the eastern seaboard? The DW and I were planning a trip up to Nova Scotia/PEI for this summer. But we're now putting it off for 2 more years as our littlest DS's are only 2 and 3 respectively. We agreed the hikes and nature walks would be too physically demanding at this age. But for your more mature family, not so much.

Our plans are to visit Bar Harbor / Acadia National Park first then work our way up through New Brunswick into NS. There are water ferries that will take trucks, campers, and RV's from NS across to Prince Edward Island. You'd be able to visit Cape Breton Island, go on some ocean whale tours, and see the amazing high/low tidal areas of the Bay of Fundy. I've never been up to the Maritimes and can't wait to see some of that amazing countryside.

From Raleigh to Bar Harbor, it's only 971 miles. From there it's another 300 miles to Hopewell Cape, NS. You'll need at least 3 weeks as well up this northeast corridor but you can enjoy the sites along the way. this is just a suggestion. Good luck.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:02 AM   #16
CrazyCain

Rocky Mountain National Park( Estes Park Co), Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Try and find some historic Oregon Trail sites along the way..

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:47 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Head south, spend a week at Disney, then run over to the coast and visit NASA or the gulf coast and pick one of the islands. Your plan sounds great and I'll see the 3 weeks and raise it to 4 weeks. Nothing more disappointing than remembering saddle soars and being rushed from activities to hit the road again.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #18
mfifield01

We did a 13 day 2000 mile trip last summer. I thought it was a good match for mileage and days. I mentioned something similar this summer and the DW thought that we drove too much last summer. I'm just now getting her interested in taking a trip to Durango (from Austin) this summer. We have a 5 and 3 year old.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #19
AbHDToyHauler

And....there is always an "and" if you are going that far (Grand Canyon) going on to California to see Vasalia, California and the valley of the Generals is a must. Of all the cool places and things I have seen....... Those giant Sequoias are the best. Unbelievable how big they really are. But that is even more miles. ohhhh the list is endless !
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:41 AM   #20
byrdr1

I can offer some advice on some of this because I drove out to Oklahoma 2 summers ago.
1250 miles one way. to Fort Sill, OK.
All on I-40 from just up the road from you.
I made it out in 3 days.
ONE day was long driving.
1st day here to Pigeon Forge, TN. on Memorial day weekend with NO reservations.
2nd day from Pigeon Forge to a KOA in Sallisaw, OK, this day was from around 830am to almost 11pm. [733.1 mi via I-40 W]. took a little longer than mileage maps show because of stops for fuel, food, and breaks.
3rd day Sallisaw, Ok to Fort Sill, OK.. easiest tow of the trip.
then came home without the camper, left on Wednesday and got home on Saturday( we did some site seeing while in memphis and nashville). And 10 weeks did it all over again to bring camper back home to NC. coming home was a 4-day trip (TOWING) because I learned my lesson from the trip out there. both trips cost me a weeks worth of vacation time each time. just my take on this trip, that one day was killer.... BUT it worked and I was pulling our 5er.
My story and then a side note:
My boss just did the Yellowstone trip last summer.
They left on a Thursday evening from NC with a 9yr old and a 14 yr old.
They made it until the next Sunday 2 weeks and some days later. She told me she wished they had 3-4 weeks to do it again. so the timing was like 16 days..
just a heads up from another NCer..
Plan accordingly and you and make a great trip for all.
JMHO and enjoy,
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote