Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
1stgmc

Bike Rack on Fifth wheel trailer

Hello every one,

Thinking about installing a Curt 13703 2" receiver on my 3500RE fifth wheel. Using Hollywood HR1400 sport rider Do these fifth wheels ride to rough or is it not recommended.
1stgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
jje1960

Bike rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgmc View Post
Hello every one,

Thinking about installing a Curt 13703 2" receiver on my 3500RE fifth wheel. Using Hollywood HR1400 sport rider Do these fifth wheels ride to rough or is it not recommended.
Not sure how you have planned on attaching the receiver, however my $.02 is that do NOT attach the receiver (either weld or bolt) without reinforcing the bumper. I've personally ripped a bumper off going down the road doing this a number of years ago.... The stock mounted bumpers are not made for the bouncing weight of hanging bikes, boxes, generators or anything that is heavy without reinforcing. I do hang a genset while parked off the bumper, however never again while driving... unless having it reinforced. Again, just my $.02
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
1stgmc

Thank you for your reply On a 3500RE there is no rear bumper. The hitch bolts to the trailer frame. Trailer is out of warranty. See attachments below

http://www.etrailer.com/p-13703.html
1stgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Paddler

We have a very similiar receiver on our Montana that was factory installed. We haven't used it yet, I normally mount the bikes on a 2" receiver under the front bumper of our truck. I was thinking on buying a reducer and putting the bike rack and bikes on the 5th when we are parked.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
alpine11

hitch issue

I have a 3500 RE also, going to put a hitch on soon, I have the trail air suspension on the 5th wheel and it is the best pulling/riding 5th wheel I've owned, on my 3rd one, weld or bolt the hitch to the frame in the back, should be no problem, make sue your bike rack/hitch has no play in it to bounce up and down you will be good to go.
alpine11 is offline   Reply With Quote