Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2018, 04:02 AM   #1
d0gb0ne

Broken window

My bike hit the frameless rear vent opening window at the rear of my 2015 Cougar 28SGS 5th wheel, breaking it. Has anyone had one changed or would have some info on replacing it? it is on a hinge type rail and is an easy replacement.

d0gb0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:05 AM   #2
Dave W

Don't know the vintage of your Cougar but take a look here and look for your RVs year: https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...23+%2F+Keyword. Not cheap though!!

Alternative would be a local glass shop though the color probably wont match and you would then have to consider both sides for something close
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:35 AM   #3
d0gb0ne

Its a 2015 Dave, thanks for the info
Old 09-05-2018, 06:46 AM   #4
Dhuhn

From what I’ve read from others you can’t just get hinged window you have to order whole window which isn’t cheep.

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:02 AM   #5
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhuhn View Post
From what I’ve read from others you can’t just get hinged window you have to order whole window which isn’t cheep.
You are most likely correct and why I suggested a local shop. The hinge and opener channels are simply glued on and can be removed for use on a new glass pane. When we had a SOB, several used their local shop after the brand became an orphan. A LOT less expensive, especially when you add shipping to the already high price for OEM
Old 09-07-2018, 05:11 AM   #6
d0gb0ne

For sure Dave, we are being told that the whole window has to be replaced which is crazy and why? Even if we got the whole window we would just replace the hinged window. We are getting prices of $700-$800 before shipping and taxes.

Seems to me Keystone should step in on this. We are in the midst of getting one made from a local window shop and trying to remove the glass from the hinged rail.

What kind of glue did u use to hold the rail on? Epoxy?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2018, 05:33 AM   #7
Dave W

H-B Weld always works

And since I have terminal CRS, forgot the obvious - a call to the window manufacturer. Ours are Hehr (http://www.hehrintl.com/Window%20Products.html) yours may be different but worth a call to maybe save a few bucks (Loonies?)
Old 09-07-2018, 06:23 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0gb0ne View Post
Seems to me Keystone should step in on this.

Thanks
I’m sorry, but really? You broke the window with your bicycle. What would you expect Keystone to do?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #9
ljp

Off topic:

If that is Flex Tape you are using it will be very difficult to remove.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #10
notanlines

I also wondered immediately what Keystone should do....why would they even be involved?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:00 PM   #11
cpaulsen

Friend of mine broke his side window which is a 3 piece window and could not just that section either from a dealer or a glass company.....he had to buy the whole thing...700.00. The sections do separate easy.....some little set screws in the frame.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:17 PM   #12
JimMach1

I’m with a few others I have never asked someone to fix something I broke. And still don’t complain about piddly things wrong with ours it’s a year old and we have found screws coming loose and screws pulling out of the walls and I fix them and move on. Working in the Ag industry you would be surprised at what they want warranted had a front tire throw a rock into the windshield and they fixed it under warranty another skid steer mower broke windshield and they warranted it. So it happens in all industries that’s why we have adjusters looking into so many fraudulent activities in everything we buy.
JimMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Obviously you guys don't get it. Keystone should have known that a bike would be mounted loosley back there, while being driven down a bumpy road at high speed and did not protect the window. Actually I think they, Keystone, should pay to have an RV tech follow behind in a truck with at least one of every part ever put in a camper. Here's your trophy for being you.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:41 PM   #14
JimMach1

So your saying if there’s not a sticker on the window that says if struck by window will break. It should be warranty? ��
Old 09-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #15
JimMach1

Sorry meant if struck with hammer glass will break.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Seems to me Keystone should step in on this. We are in the midst of getting one made from a local window shop and trying to remove the glass from the hinged rail.

I guess I'm aghast at that someone thinks the manufacturer is responsible for their misfortunes. But, as we progress with the progessive lifestyle, I'm sure "someone else" is always responsible for your poor decisions and the individual always has a "cop out" so someone else "is to blame". Sorry...you, me, everyone, is 100% responsible for the decisions we make on a daily basis....no one, NO one, else.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:57 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMach1 View Post
Sorry meant if struck with hammer glass will break.
Yup, We have an ex son in law who would screw up everything he touched and every time he would say "I didn't know, no one told me that would happen". ALWAYS narcissistic, ALWAYS someone else's fault. And my response ALWAYS would be "Well here's your trophy for waking up on your own today Sunshine."
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:11 AM   #18
Dave W

What is this - jump all over a newbie thread?

I think some of you folks especially a member of the site team are being beyond harsh with a new member who may never come back and be a real contributor.

Did he really mean that Keystone should pay for this broken window? I think not. I believe his intent was that he felt Keystone should make items like individual window panes available, not forcing you to purchase an entire over priced 7-900 dollar unit
Old 09-08-2018, 04:31 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

I'll make a couple of statements. Maybe they will "ring true" maybe they won't:

I can't believe the contractor that built our house 10 years ago doesn't have a replacement pump for the dishwasher he installed in our kitchen.... SHEESH He's a terrible and irresponsible builder!!! Now I've got to go out to a different supplier and buy a "whole replacement dishwasher".... DAMN !!!

I can't believe that the ER doc that stitched up my son's forehead last year didn't give us a box of band-aids when we were leaving. Didn't he realize he'd skin his knee when he fell off his bicycle yesterday? He has no idea of our future needs and didn't take care of us like he should have...

Sometimes, people "expect" more from a relationship than the other party "IN" the relationship has agreed to provide..... Case in point, Keystone is NOT like Ford Motor Company, they don't provide OEM windows or axles or starters like Ford. Keystone is "like a home builder" in that they buy things, windows, axles, air conditioners, refrigerators, and put them together and let someone else sell them. Sort of like "Handyman Home Builders and Century 21 Real Estate"..... Keystone, unlike FMC, doesn't have a 10 year "expectation" to provide replacement parts. In fact, you're extremely lucky if you can find any "last year OEM parts" at the beginning of the next model year run at any RV manufacturer.

I think a lot of the "angst" seen on this and many other forums is caused by "novice owners" (not defined by years of ownership) that have no idea what they have bought or who is responsible for maintenance/repairs on it.....

Your "home" isn't the builder's responsibility when the neighbor's lawn mower throws a rock through your living room window. The builder isn't responsible when you throw the rock either......

ADDED: So, to put it into perspective: Would you expect the contractor that built your custom home to have the bottom half of a window "in stock or available" for each home he's built during the past 10 years, or 5 years or even for those he's built in the last 6 months? Is he a "bad builder" because it's not available? About the only expectation most people would have for that builder is the name and maybe contact information for the window supplier. Why is the expectation for Keystone any different than for the guy that built your home?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:13 AM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I’m sorry, but really? You broke the window with your bicycle. What would you expect Keystone to do?
That was harsh? It was a simple question.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote