Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #1
theallde

Cable Slide-out Stopping Issue

I have a out of warranty 2015 Cougar Xlite 30RLI and one of the 12' cable slide-outs is causing me challenges that I need to correct.

The slide-out will extend out without any problems. However, when I retract the slide-out in, it will travel in about 12" then stop, after 5-10 seconds it will start retracting again, this continues for 5-6 times before completing. This will happen regardless whether I use the remote or the control panel. NOTE: When I state stop and start it refers trying to press either the remote or control panel, depending on which unit I started with.

Any and all suggestions welcomed, thanks ..... Don
theallde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:34 AM   #2
xrated

Re: Cable Slide-out Stopping Issue

Here is a link a Thread that I started a week or so ago. I had issues with my brand new Impact 303 that uses an Accu-Slide cable system. Download the manual (the thread has a link for that too) and get very familiar with how to adjust the system.....

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26924
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:43 AM   #3
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by theallde View Post
I have a out of warranty 2015 Cougar Xlite 30RLI and one of the 12' cable slide-outs is causing me challenges that I need to correct.

The slide-out will extend out without any problems. However, when I retract the slide-out in, it will travel in about 12" then stop, after 5-10 seconds it will start retracting again, this continues for 5-6 times before completing. This will happen regardless whether I use the remote or the control panel. NOTE: When I state stop and start it refers trying to press either the remote or control panel, depending on which unit I started with.

Any and all suggestions welcomed, thanks ..... Don
Don, does this happen when hooked up to shore power or battery only?

I suggest calling BAL and talking with Jim, their AccuSlide guru.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:57 AM   #4
Barbell

May not be at all related but we had a similar problem with the slides stopping and starting. Turned out to be a bad bi-metal breaker that was cutting out numerous times while moving slide. Lights were going out, etc. Once replaced, no more problem. This was on the DC side; that is on battery power.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #5
theallde

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Here is a link a Thread that I started a week or so ago. I had issues with my brand new Impact 303 that uses an Accu-Slide cable system. Download the manual (the thread has a link for that too) and get very familiar with how to adjust the system.....

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26924
Hello xrated: Thanks for your comments. I replaced one of the cables several weeks ago with the asssiance of the video from BAL's website. While replacing the cable I checked, and adjusted, the slack on all the cables plus checked the connections to the slide out motor. I also printed out the manual from BAL's website and carry it in the trailer for reference. Note: The stopping and starting issue was present even before I replaced the cable. I have tried everything short of replacing the slide out motor ($150) so I posted my issue in the hope that someone may have had the same problems I'm experiencing.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #6
theallde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbell View Post
May not be at all related but we had a similar problem with the slides stopping and starting. Turned out to be a bad bi-metal breaker that was cutting out numerous times while moving slide. Lights were going out, etc. Once replaced, no more problem. This was on the DC side; that is on battery power.
Hello Barbell: Thanks for your reply. Where exactly is the "bi-metal breaker" located? Once I locate it I'll try replacing it before spending $150 on a new slide-out motor.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:39 AM   #7
theallde

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Don, does this happen when hooked up to shore power or battery only?

I suggest calling BAL and talking with Jim, their AccuSlide guru.
Hello slow: Thank you for your reply. The stopping and starting happens all the time whether I'm on shore power or battery. I'll try next week to call AccuSlide and try talking to Jim for his input.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

The 12 volt 30 amp "autobreset" breakers are usually mounted on the front frame on travel trailers (between the A frame structure, right behind the battery box. On most fifth wheels, they are located in the front storage compartment and connected to the battery cable coming from the positive battery cable. They are usually "fairly reliable" but if they get wet, are exposed to battery acid (or its vapors) they do corrode and can become very problematic. Easy to replace, you can usually buy one at most auto parts stores and at any RV parts center.

Here's what you'll be looking for on your RV:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 VDC CIRCUIT BREAKER.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	11514   Click image for larger version

Name:	30 amp breaker installed.jpg
Views:	1640
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	11516  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #9
theallde

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The 12 volt 30 amp "autobreset" breakers are usually mounted on the front frame on travel trailers (between the A frame structure, right behind the battery box. On most fifth wheels, they are located in the front storage compartment and connected to the battery cable coming from the positive battery cable. They are usually "fairly reliable" but if they get wet, are exposed to battery acid (or its vapors) they do corrode and can become very problematic. Easy to replace, you can usually buy one at most auto parts stores and at any RV parts center.

Here's what you'll be looking for on your RV:
John: Thank you very much for your reply. Since I have a 50 amp, I would assume that I need a 12 volt 50 amp autobreset - correct? Also, thank you for all your posts on the forums helping all of us to become more aware of our rv's.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #10
xrated

One of the things that I noticed on mine is that when retracting the slide out back in, the top of the slide out actually starts to move just a bit before the bottom of the slide does. At first, I though that it might be an issue, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense....and here's why. When the room is all the way out, gravity is wanting to of course make the slide "tip" downward just a bit. So if the slide starts to retract and the slide is "sagging" just a little from gravity, it seems to me that it would be in a little bit of a bind, trying to come back in cocked a little. On mine, when the room starts in, the top of it probably travels...maybe a 1/2" to 5/8" before the bottom of the room starts moving.

One question I have for you....when the slide is retracting, is there a noticeable difference in speed (slowing down) before it stops after the 10 or 12 inches....or does it travel at normal speed then just stop? If it's slowing down before stopping, I would suspect some sort of binding on the lower rollers or a bit of a mis-adjustment on the cables that pull it in. And remember, which ever direction the room is travelling, the opposite cables should have some slack in them, enough to raise and lower them by hand about an 1".

If you aren't seeing any change in speed when retracting it, and you can't hear an obvious "groaning" from the motor......there is a strong possibility that what was stated above about one of the auto-reset breakers (thermal switch if you will) possibly being bad. Remember, if it is slowing down and groaning before it stops, the auto-reset breaker is probably just doing it's job, as they are made to open when a certain amount of current flows through them....and the motor straining that much is probably causing the breaker to see that amount of current and open up. Hope this help and keep us posted.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by theallde View Post
John: Thank you very much for your reply. Since I have a 50 amp, I would assume that I need a 12 volt 50 amp autobreset - correct? Also, thank you for all your posts on the forums helping all of us to become more aware of our rv's.
You're very welcome. Hopefully you'll find the breakers on your RV and they will be an "easy fix" to your slide motor problem.

To answer your question about the 30 amp/50 amp breaker issue. You may have the "input AC power" (50 amps) and the "slide DC (battery) power" mixed up. Your RV connects to 50 amps AC "shore power" but that is an entirely different "beast" from the "small individual circuit" that supplies battery power to your slide motor. So, essentially, the circuit breakers I posted pictures of are DC (battery) breakers that operate "SOME" of the individual circuits on your trailer. There is also, located in your power distribution panel, a mixture of AC circuit breakers (similar to those in your stick/brick home) and a line of "DC fuses" (similar to the ones in your automobile). They protect the electrical system in your trailer, both the "shore power AC side" and the "battery power, DC side".

These DC circuit breakers are NOT a part of the "circuit breaker panel" in your power distribution system and are NOT connected to the AC side of your electrical power system. They are, in simple terms, just a protection device that protects part of the battery section of the trailer electrical system.

While there are multiple amperage ratings for these devices, most often the slide motors, electrical levelling systems and awning have 30 amp CB's while the hydraulic pump and "large fifth wheel" landing gear might have 30 amp or possibly 40 amp or even 50 amp CB's because of the increased need for larger wiring to carry the increased battery power requirement.

I'm not sure if you are, but don't confuse the AC 50 amp rating for your trailer's shore power system with these "much smaller" individual "battery powered" component circuit breakers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:45 AM   #12
xrated

^^^^ Good post John.....I was in a hurry and didn't even catch the part of his post about 50A vs 30A....and I believe you may be correct in assuming that he might of thought about the 50A because of it being a 50 shore power trailer.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:02 PM   #13
theallde

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You're very welcome. Hopefully you'll find the breakers on your RV and they will be an "easy fix" to your slide motor problem.

To answer your question about the 30 amp/50 amp breaker issue. You may have the "input AC power" (50 amps) and the "slide DC (battery) power" mixed up. Your RV connects to 50 amps AC "shore power" but that is an entirely different "beast" from the "small individual circuit" that supplies battery power to your slide motor. So, essentially, the circuit breakers I posted pictures of are DC (battery) breakers that operate "SOME" of the individual circuits on your trailer. There is also, located in your power distribution panel, a mixture of AC circuit breakers (similar to those in your stick/brick home) and a line of "DC fuses" (similar to the ones in your automobile). They protect the electrical system in your trailer, both the "shore power AC side" and the "battery power, DC side".

These DC circuit breakers are NOT a part of the "circuit breaker panel" in your power distribution system and are NOT connected to the AC side of your electrical power system. They are, in simple terms, just a protection device that protects part of the battery section of the trailer electrical system.

While there are multiple amperage ratings for these devices, most often the slide motors, electrical levelling systems and awning have 30 amp CB's while the hydraulic pump and "large fifth wheel" landing gear might have 30 amp or possibly 40 amp or even 50 amp CB's because of the increased need for larger wiring to carry the increased battery power requirement.

I'm not sure if you are, but don't confuse the AC 50 amp rating for your trailer's shore power system with these "much smaller" individual "battery powered" component circuit breakers.
Hello John:

I purchased a 12volt 30amp as you suggested but when I removed the breaker it was stamped 12volt 50amp (see picture). I replaced the breaker with the 50amp but the slide-out still starts and stops.

I have a call into Jim at Accu-slide but he is out of the office for several days.

I will post a follow up after talking with Jim.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0811.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	11548  
Old 12-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Check your power distribution panel. On the 12V side there may be some auto reset circuit breakers, often copper in color and in the top fuse slots. These are also used for slide motors and I have seen them go bad.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #15
theallde

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Check your power distribution panel. On the 12V side there may be some auto reset circuit breakers, often copper in color and in the top fuse slots. These are also used for slide motors and I have seen them go bad.
Thank you chuckster: I'll check it out in the morning. Don
Old 12-15-2016, 01:08 PM   #16
theallde

Quote:
Hello Chuckster:
All the fuses are okay (no broken wires) but I can't check the one large 12v30amp fuse on the #2 position. I'll replace that fuse tomorrow just to cover all my options but have ever seen a blade fuse like that. Note - I have 3 slides, 2 cable (kitchen & living room) and one gear (bedroom). I called Jim at Accu-slide twice and left voicemails but no return call. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond, it is greatly appreciated. Don
Old 12-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

If the #2 "fuse" has something in it that resembles what I described above, that would be the auto reset circuit breaker.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:33 AM   #18
theallde

Quote:
Chuckster - I replaced the 12volt auto reset circuit breaker as you suggested and now have a slide out that does not start and stop. THANK YOU so much for taking the time to post your suggestions. Don
Old 12-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Glad to hear it solved your issue. Have a wonderful holiday!!

Old 02-28-2018, 01:17 PM   #20
jeffrorrt

Cable Slide issues

We have a 2017 Raptor 425S and started noticing issues with one of the slides on out 3rd trip out. It would stop about half way out or in. We then noticed that it had actually taken the carpet under the refrigerator/freezer with it. I looked on the underside of the slide, and there were three strips of the material bonded to the bottom of the slide missing in areas where there are rollers, I'm assuming it stuck to the rollers.. I didn't actually get underneath to look until we were out of warranty (by 3 weeks). The warranty people at keystone initially denied my claim even though it started happening well before the warranty ended. I finally did a google/ linkedin search for Keystone execs and left a message for the VP of the warranty division. He called me back in less than 20 minutes, apologized for the way two of his staff spoke to me (I guess he listened to the conversation tapes) and told me that they will approve me repairs. I'm impressed!! Has anyone else had this issue with the material sticking to the rollers?
jeffrorrt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, slide