Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2019, 07:11 AM   #1
Wxman

Another Glow Step Question

A couple other threads got me interested but I hated to tag on to those discussions.
My TT has three steps on the factory steps. We often use an additional step of some sort as the last step can turn into a whopper with any amount of slope on the campsite. Torklift's site recommends the three step version, but in the notes appears to imply I could use the 4 step version for increased 'reach', which sounds great to us. I have questioned the support people and am waiting on any reply.

I am interested from any who use the Revolution steps if there would be any concerns in adding the extra step (assuming Torklift tells me it is doable).
Like, will the steps be less stable if on level ground and didn't need the extra step? Do you think it would make them any more difficult to use? Anything, other than the increased price, you think might be different or of concern going from factory 3 steps to Revolution 4 steps.

Thanks
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
Bisjoe

I'm not familiar with those, but I can tell you my experience going from one step to two.

We found that it was too far for the grandkids to step, and sometimes even my wife, so I upgraded. Because of the additional step the clearance from ground to the bottom of the folded up step was reduced by about 4". So far that has not been a problem, but also, when camped on uneven surfaces the bottom step may be within an inch of the ground, as it is right now when parked on my side yard. I bought the replacement through my dealer and the bolt holes lined up nicely with the factory holes on the frame.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #3
MerlinB

Wxman:

I have the four step model on my RV but I have a 5th wheel which sits higher off the ground than your TT. The only time I have a problem is when I am parked where the ground beside the trailer is higher than where the wheels are sitting. This situation prevents me from fully extending the steps and making them level. It is a real PITA to climb up and down steps that are sitting at an angle. I have figured out a way that I can slip the top step back into framework after I have extended the steps and make them level but then I have a much longer than usual first step out of the door that can be real tricky.

So, based on my experience, I would recommend you stick with the three step model. The range of extension is very good plus the top step is adjustable through three positions so if the ground is lower you can lower the whole assembly downward two additional positions from the highest setting. The legs on the bottom are also extendable through four increments of about one inch each. There is a lot of flexibility to reach the ground when it is lower than where your wheels are sitting but not so much if it is higher.

I know the cost seems high but this is a quality product. It is built from aircraft grade aluminum and is very durable and I personally think it is worth every penny.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:33 PM   #4
Wxman

Thanks that is the kind of information I was looking for. Torklift did get back with me and said the note on their web site was basically a warning that my trailer was at the very upper limit of the height for this set of steps, i.e. I would have very little if any 'adjustment' if the ground was lower than the wheels. I am/was hoping to maybe use the 4 step and be able to raise the top step and shorten the legs on bottom step to work in most cases. It would be nice to have the extra extension. We seem to have to use an extra step quite often for some reason with the factory steps.

Anyway, they said the 4 step model would fit otherwise, and it was possible to remove a step if I had to. Not sure how difficult that would be.
Thanks again. It sounds like too long may be harder to adjust for than too short (use a step).
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:51 AM   #5
rsl

So I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the amount of adjustment on the Glow Step. The whole assembly is adjustable to accommodate the ground level differences plus the bottom legs are adjustable also. As far as 3 or 4 steps you can buy the 4 version and take the bottom step off if you find out it does not work out or buy the 3 step and you can always buy the 4th step and put it on if you find you need it. The difficulty in putting it on and taking it off is not too much only about 4 nuts and bolts. It would not be something I would do each camping trip but one you decide 3 or 4, to make the change will not be difficult.

Have you looked at the videos or youtubed Glow Step to see it in actual operation as far as the adjustments are concerned?
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote