Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #1
schad

Need help with musty odor

Hello, I have a 2014 Passport 195RB that I bought 2 months ago. I thought I smelt must when I looked at it (private sale) but figured it was due to being shut.

I brought it home and could not lose that smell..it was in the bedspread..which I washed a number of times to lose the odor.

I went camping for 2 weeks. Hung clothes in the two closets next to the bed only to have all the clothes wreak of must.

I am very concerned as I do not see or feel any wetness anywhere on walls of floor of the cabinets. The pass-thru storage compartment is underneath the closets yet I see not signs of water there either. I hung a damp rid bag in each closet and within 5 days there is about and inch and a half of water in each bag. I put in a brand new mattress and need to find the problem as I don't want this odor to get into that.

Can anyone please help me to figure out this musty smell. It is sending me over the top.

Thank you
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
KeithInUpstateNY

It sounds like there was, and may still be given the amount of water in the Damp Rid bags in such a short amount of time, a leak in the front roof seam, even though you aren't seeing any water in the closets or pass through. If it is a small leak the paneling and insulation could be holding the moisture. I would recommend taking it to a dealer and having them inspect the roof. You can also inspect the insides of the closets for water damage. Look for unevenness in the paneling in the back walls and outside walls and gently run your hand over them to check for soft spots.

Once you are sure there is not an active leak wipe down all hard surfaces with a sanitizing solution, 1 teaspoon of liquid chlorine bleach to one gallon of warm water (at least 75°F). Make sure you are working in a well ventilated space. Let it dry thoroughly and then wipe it down again with clear water if there is any lingering bleach smell. Follow up with a spray on deodorizer if you want. The hinged portion of the platform under the mattress is usually unfinished plywood so it is especially susceptible to odors.

For future reference, never pack the closets or cabinets full so air can circulate, be especially careful that you don't have things packed tight against an outside wall or the ceiling as this can result in condensation, especially in cooler weather. I use hanging fabric shelves in my closets and fold my clothes in plastic bins that slide into the shelves. That way I know I have good air circulation. I also keep at least one "Moisture Eliminator" from Dollar Tree in each closet and cabinet. They contain calcium chloride pellets, the same thing that is in Damp Rid.

Good luck and keep us posted.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #3
schad

Thank you very much and I will definitely have someone look into what you have suggested.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:10 PM   #4
Andymil

Our previous tt had vent covers and we left the roof vents open and never had a problem. When we bought the 5er, it had a musty smell, so I added vent covers. Since we’ve been leaving the vents open, we don’t have the musty smell.
Andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:22 PM   #5
KeithInUpstateNY

I second what Andy said. And place a Moisture Eliminator in each closet and cabinet and check them periodically. You can leave the closet and cabinet doors ajar, but if you get mice it gives them access to EVERYTHING. Off topic, but never leave food in the trailer when you aren't using it and remove anything that might be used for nesting material (paper products, clothing, bedding). And for some reason they love bar soap. Plastic totes make it easy to restock.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
Old 10-11-2018, 05:36 AM   #6
schad

Thank you and I do have two vents with covers and they are open all the time, and the problem is still there
Old 10-11-2018, 05:38 AM   #7
schad

Thank you for the good advice. I have cleared it all out and I did open the closet doors and only those doors where there are no holes or space whatsoever for space for them to get in....good Lord I have enough problems with must and hopefully do not end up with the critters too
Old 10-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #8
KeithInUpstateNY

You're welcome. Obviously the key is to plug any entry points. One of the most common is the electric cord port. Get a copper scouring pad and stuff it in in front of the plug and close the cover. When you have your roof inspected have them inspect the underside as well and plug any holes they find along the edges of the plastic sheeting and any where pipes etc penetrate it. Some people swear by dryer sheets as a repellent, but I haven't tried it. I always leave a couple of traps set in lower cabinets just in case.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
Old 10-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #9
Andymil

I’ve also used a dehumidifier to make sure I get the moisture out. A couple of days in a closed rv should dry it out pretty well.

My wife also used dryer sheets and Febreeze to help get rid of them smell.
Andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #10
schad

Thank you both..I went over to the RV Dealer near me and they are booked out like 2 months....so they are sending a person who does work for them as side work...to take a look at the roof, and they did mention it could be condensation coming from the underbelly of the camper. So hopefully I can get this straightened out. In the meantime I'm using DampRid hanging in closets, doors ajar. putting a dehumidifier in there and will be stuffing steel wool in any obvious entry points. Thanks again and will post back the result.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #11
schad

My problem was the outside storage cabinet door..the door actually had soaked up moisture and that was the culprit for the musty odor in the camper/bed area....he ended up putting a sealant all around both doors and also around the lock which was loose and water was entering there. He did a complete inspection of the entire trailer and everything else was great. So it is now all winterized, sanitized and hopefully problem is solved..
Old 10-14-2018, 09:30 AM   #12
KeithInUpstateNY

I'm glad you found the source of the problem and have a temporary fix. Long term the doors are easy to replace and relatively inexpensive.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
Old 10-18-2018, 07:48 AM   #13
gec49

I have found an ozone generator to be very effective at eliminating odors.

Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator 6,000mg Industrial O3 Air Purifier Deodorizer Sterilizer (6,000mg - Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JAP7388/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_APkYBbVAHFTS5
gec49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:52 AM   #14
KeithInUpstateNY

And thank you for letting us know you resolved the problem, and how. Too often a request for help is posted and then there is never any follow up.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
Old 10-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #15
home29

Quote:
Originally Posted by schad View Post
Hello, I have a 2014 Passport 195RB that I bought 2 months ago. I thought I smelt must when I looked at it (private sale) but figured it was due to being shut.

I brought it home and could not lose that smell..it was in the bedspread..which I washed a number of times to lose the odor.

I went camping for 2 weeks. Hung clothes in the two closets next to the bed only to have all the clothes wreak of must.

I am very concerned as I do not see or feel any wetness anywhere on walls of floor of the cabinets. The pass-thru storage compartment is underneath the closets yet I see not signs of water there either. I hung a damp rid bag in each closet and within 5 days there is about and inch and a half of water in each bag. I put in a brand new mattress and need to find the problem as I don't want this odor to get into that.

Can anyone please help me to figure out this musty smell. It is sending me over the top.

Thank you
I recently had issues dealing with rat that died somewhere under shower. I read about coffee helping so I bough cheap coffee and put 3 containers out in bedroom, bathroom and under shower. I also ordered some bamboo charcoal room deodorizers, but before they arrived I noticed a significant improvement within the first day. While you look for the cause you might try coffee to help with musty smell.
Regards, Ron
home29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #16
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by schad View Post
My problem was the outside storage cabinet door..the door actually had soaked up moisture and that was the culprit for the musty odor in the camper/bed area....he ended up putting a sealant all around both doors and also around the lock which was loose and water was entering there. He did a complete inspection of the entire trailer and everything else was great. So it is now all winterized, sanitized and hopefully problem is solved..
One thing that can cause water to enter storage compartment doors is having gutter downspouts too short. If they don't stick out about 3", water can run down the side of the trailer and eventually find its way into storage compartments. Had a Sunnybrook with this issue and installing extra long downspouts is a snap.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote