Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2019, 04:27 PM   #1
Fishsizzle

No wonder I had trouble getting a site

https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-state-parks-attendance-record-higher-fees/
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:37 PM   #2
OregonDuck

I could feel it. We got our new 5'er in July. Couldn't find an open weekend site anywhere. Earliest option we booked was Detroit Lake first week of October...
OregonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:47 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

Ft. Stevens and Wallowa lake have had full parks throughout the summer months for many many years. Most coast state parks are full all weekends in summer months. In later than March trying to get a spot on weekends has been hard.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #4
rhagfo

We have been hosting for the last 5 year, the first three part time during summer months, while still working full time. This park was about 30 miles west of Portland, and every summer it had more and more full days, and several full weekends.
Now we full time, and spend part of the winter, and fall on the coast. We were at South Beach this fall and the "Campground Full" sign stayed up into October.

We also hosted at Beachside SP just south of Waldport, we have one site there that is very hard to get. It is site 63, I have posted pictures before site has beach frontage on west and north sides. It is awesome!

https://www.opb.org/news/article/ore...d-higher-fees/
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:14 PM   #5
Bolo4u

Given Northern California had several very large, devastating fires in late 2017 and into mid and late 2018 (Napa/Sonoma - 2017, Carr - Redding area - 2018, and the Camp Fire - Paradise/Chico/Oroville - 2018), I wonder if this had any measurable impact to the number of people visiting; both from evacuees and those leaving to avoid the smoke impact.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:02 PM   #6
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-state-parks-attendance-record-higher-fees/
Oregon may be on to something. Pricing based on park popularity is good way to help with a saturation of RVers. Some state parks in Michigan are so popular based on their locale that they require a 6 month reservation (down to the second) to secure a site. Others can be reserved the day before you want to visit. Current pricing is relatively equal among all the Michigan state parks. If price was reflective of popularity, RVers wouldn't be so inclined to book several weeks at a time at the most popular parks. It would help open up availability to more people instead.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:21 PM   #7
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
We have been hosting for the last 5 year, the first three part time during summer months, while still working full time. This park was about 30 miles west of Portland, and every summer it had more and more full days, and several full weekends.
Now we full time, and spend part of the winter, and fall on the coast. We were at South Beach this fall and the "Campground Full" sign stayed up into October.

We also hosted at Beachside SP just south of Waldport, we have one site there that is very hard to get. It is site 63, I have posted pictures before site has beach frontage on west and north sides. It is awesome!

https://www.opb.org/news/article/ore...d-higher-fees/
We camp in the Fall after kids went back school, used to be able to drive in and have the park almost to ourselves. But your right, through Oct is full now. I can’t chance running the RV over the pass any later than end of Oct.

What we are doing now because of reservations is getting any spot we can for the dates we want, then continually checking back to watch the cancellations and moving our reservations to better spots if they are available. People just book sites for weeks on end and then cancel them if they can’t get time off.

In the US forest parks we see empty sites all the time. People just don’t show up and we can’t use the sites at all. Or cancel last minute. Not many sites are first come anymore.

I’ll be trying to get the 5ver more “off grid “ so to speak. Would like to just be able to stop and enjoy where we are at. Getting away from people sounds better all the time
Old 02-21-2019, 08:22 PM   #8
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Ft. Stevens and Wallowa lake have had full parks throughout the summer months for many many years. Most coast state parks are full all weekends in summer months. In later than March trying to get a spot on weekends has been hard.
Isn’t Wallowa lake just beautiful? We’ve stayed there maybe twice. One of our favs for sure. Long end of the road, but worth it.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:20 PM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
We camp in the Fall after kids went back school, used to be able to drive in and have the park almost to ourselves. But your right, through Oct is full now. I can’t chance running the RV over the pass any later than end of Oct.

What we are doing now because of reservations is getting any spot we can for the dates we want, then continually checking back to watch the cancellations and moving our reservations to better spots if they are available. People just book sites for weeks on end and then cancel them if they can’t get time off.

In the US forest parks we see empty sites all the time. People just don’t show up and we can’t use the sites at all. Or cancel last minute. Not many sites are first come anymore.

I’ll be trying to get the 5ver more “off grid “ so to speak. Would like to just be able to stop and enjoy where we are at. Getting away from people sounds better all the time
Which passes, Cascades or Coast range?
Old 02-21-2019, 09:47 PM   #10
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Which passes, Cascades or Coast range?
Cascades, totaled out my truck last year on Willamette

Look what’s in store this weekend
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4B8F854C-6E4B-4A3B-A10F-02EC06B26C00.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	20426   Click image for larger version

Name:	6E67D6BB-CF32-4794-978E-8FC17518C1AC.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	20427  
Old 02-21-2019, 10:18 PM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Cascades, totaled out my truck last year on Willamette

Look what’s in store this weekend
Well that is a bummer, but you may know this or didn't. 4X4 while it gives greater control, it doesn't change the laws of physics. You can't stop any better than a regular 4X2 vehicle! I have towed our previous 5er, over the coast range in snow, in 4X4, but didn't exceed 45 mph. With plenty of space between me and the next vehicle.

I am getting sick and tired of the news reporting the bad weather across the country "Causing" all these pileups. It isn't the weather, it is drivers not willing to slow down to a reasonable speed for traction conditions. Nothing like watching some of the videos of cars speeding into the middle of these pile ups still traveling way too fast and have been trying to stop for hundreds of yards.

My observations of the majority of drivers they don't look far enough down the road, they follow too closely to the vehicle in front of them to look down the road to know what is happening ahead.
I learned long ago to be looking well down the road, but keep an eye on the vehicles near you. That is the best defense to prevent a surprise you can't avoid.

This while towing our previous 5er.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:47 PM   #12
Fishsizzle

Yeah. I was doing about 35 when this happened. Didn’t have it in 4x4. Was right at 32 degrees and hit a sunny spot that had melted just a bit at Salt Creek Falls. Was in total slow motion. Sooooo thankful no one was coming from the other way.

Here in Central Or it seems you move here you get a dog and a Subaru, or a Volvo or Audi and then you are invincible! Everyone is always in a hurry. Buddy has a body shop (small 2 bays 1 booth) and did $160k in sales in December.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Old 02-22-2019, 01:00 AM   #13
Hankster

We have tent camped at the big lake camping area near Hoodoo ski area west of Sisters in June and found that during the week it's nearly vacant. Many of the sites back right up to the lake. It's a very beautiful area that isn't heavily used.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/will...ea/?recid=4359
Old 02-22-2019, 05:11 AM   #14
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
We have tent camped at the big lake camping area near Hoodoo ski area west of Sisters in June and found that during the week it's nearly vacant. Many of the sites back right up to the lake. It's a very beautiful area that isn't heavily used.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/will...ea/?recid=4359
That is a petty lake, and not well known. For me it’s not on my rotation because it’s not a big producer of fish. Fishing, it’s the one vise I have besides the HW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B9724F60-D7C3-4F2B-9E6C-E027C1C38147.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	20428  
Old 02-22-2019, 07:16 AM   #15
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Some state parks in Michigan are so popular based on their locale that they require a 6 month reservation (down to the second) to secure a site. Others can be reserved the day before you want to visit. Current pricing is relatively equal among all the Michigan state parks. If price was reflective of popularity, RVers wouldn't be so inclined to book several weeks at a time at the most popular parks. It would help open up availability to more people instead.
9 months is the booking window for state parks in NY. There are certain parks that if you are not booking right away, you miss out. I have set alarms to make sure I am ready at the 9am booking window 9 months ahead of time. I've tried to book sites at 9:08am and they are all gone by then.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:18 AM   #16
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade117 View Post
9 months is the booking window for state parks in NY. There are certain parks that if you are not booking right away, you miss out. I have set alarms to make sure I am ready at the 9am booking window 9 months ahead of time. I've tried to book sites at 9:08am and they are all gone by then.
Just like here in the OR. I have one Group site that I have gotten once in 15 years of trying. Have to be up at midnight hitting enter every few days to try and get in.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:

Here in Central Or it seems you move here you get a dog and a Subaru, or a Volvo or Audi and then you are invincible! Everyone is always in a hurry. Buddy has a body shop (small 2 bays 1 booth) and did $160k in sales in December.
Funny you mention this!
When our son moved to the Pacific northwest I asked "did they give away a new Subaru Outback when you opened a new checking account or at the grocery store with a $100 purchase?", that was every other car on the road, the only place there were more of them was at the Subaru dealer. The biggest problem I could see with owning one was once started they only ran a 100 mph, had no working turn signals & all had a hand in the window waving with one finger.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:06 AM   #18
Ken / Claudia

Fishsizzle,
Yes, the lake is beautiful as the whole area. Getting off topic for a moment. I wanted to try writing a fiction novel and did so. It was published last Aug. after a bad proof read. It came out well. It made #1 in police fiction on amazon for 3 days.. I am writing #2 now. I used Wallowa county and Wallowa lake for the setting of the story. "The old men in blue." I have camped at the lake and other places deer or elk hunting for many years.
I also flipped my truck off a county road near the border with WA/ID but still in OR several years ago in 1 ft of snow at about 25 mph. No towing services up there, I was lucky a logger came by and got his giant CAT nearby to flip it over. Drove 50 miles to enterprise to get a tire fixed. All else was body damage. After some hillbilly fixes I drove truck around 300 miles to get home without any problem.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:26 PM   #19
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Fishsizzle,
Yes, the lake is beautiful as the whole area. Getting off topic for a moment. I wanted to try writing a fiction novel and did so. It was published last Aug. after a bad proof read. It came out well. It made #1 in police fiction on amazon for 3 days.. I am writing #2 now. I used Wallowa county and Wallowa lake for the setting of the story. "The old men in blue." I have camped at the lake and other places deer or elk hunting for many years.
I also flipped my truck off a county road near the border with WA/ID but still in OR several years ago in 1 ft of snow at about 25 mph. No towing services up there, I was lucky a logger came by and got his giant CAT nearby to flip it over. Drove 50 miles to enterprise to get a tire fixed. All else was body damage. After some hillbilly fixes I drove truck around 300 miles to get home without any problem.
Way cool! Congrats on the book! To be funny sounding, there is a book in my head right now. When my current project is done, I’ll sort it out and see if it has legs

If your book is anything like like Longmire, I’d be hooked! Love that show and bummed it’s been cancelled
Old 02-22-2019, 11:05 PM   #20
Ken / Claudia

Thanks, but I am new to writing a book. I wish it was as good as Longmire. I would not be working at the PD a day longer. To brag a bit it is at 4.2 stars!