Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2018, 04:29 AM   #1
Frederick

Chemical rod

Is the chem.rod really necessary
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:32 AM   #2
Javi

Are you talking about the Anode rod in the water heater... if so... Yes
Old 09-27-2018, 06:03 AM   #3
ChuckS

In a Suburban RV water heater the anode rod is the part that takes the beat8ng from hard water.. it degrades due to electrolysis and prevents your inside of your stainless steel water heater from eroding instead..

Needs to be replaced at least annually with a thorough washout of the onside of the water heater tank..

The magnesium style rod... stock is the one you want to reinstall. .. in most cases..

Don’t just put a plug in the anodes place... if you do you will be replacing your suburban water heater eventually due to it rushing out..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:05 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

To add to Javi's comment, if you own a Suburban water heater, then yes, the anode rod (if that's what you're asking about) is required. If you have an Atwood water heater, then no, there is a plastic plug, no anode rod. The reason is because of the different materials used in building the water heater tank.

If you're asking about "some other chem.rod" ???? Please explain what your question refers to.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:24 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Anybody who lives in the sticks with super hard water needs to pull the anode out their home hot water heater now and again and replace it. It is there to suck the hard stuff out of the water so the hard stuff doesn't eat their tank. BTW, tanks will start leaking on the night before a major holiday... that is a design feature.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

The sacrificial anode rod is there to prevent electrolysis from damaging the metal tank on Suburban brand water heaters. Electrolysis is when the minerals in the water take electrons from the metal of the tank. The anode rod is constructed of a metal that gives up it's electrons easier than then tank and "sacrifices" to save the tank. Replacements can be purchased at most Walmarts, rv dealers, or online for around $10. I'm guessing you found this when draining your tank. You only need to replace it when the rod's diameter shrinks appreciably. Bear in mind that once the diameter begins to decrease it will decrease more rapidly because the surface area is decreasing. Most folks use teflon tape on the threads when installing and be cautious of the force used to tighten it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
Frederick

yes I was talking about the anode rod couldn't remember the right name
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
bob91yj

I was not aware of the anode rod until reading about it on the forum a few months ago.

We're stationary/full timers so the water heater gets used daily. We had been in our trailer for about a year when I found out about the anode (I was in the Navy, familiar with their purpose). When I checked mine it was down to the center steel rod that the anode material is attached to, and yes, a fair amount of sludge drained out of the water heater tank when I removed it.

If memory serves I needed a 1-1/16" socket to remove/install the anode.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:02 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

You are correct on the socket size for Suburban. An easy way to remove the sludge is with a tank riser, under $10. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Rinser-.../dp/B002XL2IBS
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:04 AM   #10
bbells

No. It is not necessary. Most people in high iron areas with wells remove it asap. If they dont the iron bacteria that gives off the rotten egg smell flourishes.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:13 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbells View Post
No. It is not necessary. Most people in high iron areas with wells remove it asap. If they dont the iron bacteria that gives off the rotten egg smell flourishes.
WHAT ????? If you own a Suburban water heater and expect the dealership to honor your warranty, there'd better be an anode rod in the tank or you may be spending $500 for a new water heater. While it "may be convenient to control water odor" by removing the anode rod, doing so is a "sure fire way" to shorten the water heater tank life..... Suburban authorizes use of two types of anode rods, magnesium and aluminum. If you're getting "water odor" you might want to change the anode rod to the "other metal" and still protect your tank from corrosion. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-14-2018, 10:28 AM   #12
ChuckS

From Airexcel that makes Suburban water heater. You need that anode rod....

http://www.airxcel.com/suburban/service-support/faqs#

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:04 PM   #13
johnlewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
In a Suburban RV water heater the anode rod is the part that takes the beat8ng from hard water.. it degrades due to electrolysis and prevents your inside of your stainless steel water heater from eroding instead..

Needs to be replaced at least annually with a thorough washout of the onside of the water heater tank..

The magnesium style rod... stock is the one you want to reinstall. .. in most cases..

Don’t just put a plug in the anodes place... if you do you will be replacing your suburban water heater eventually due to it rushing out..
It will seem like it is rushing out, because the water heater will suddenly spring a leak from rusting out.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:55 AM   #14
geeman

I know that yes it is needed.....

Anyone ever replaced one with a new anode rod and then it never "deteriorated" away? I am about to replace it anyway since it is hardly doing anything at all. The original was gone in about 2 years. This one is barely touched in 3-4 years. Same water generally.
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:59 AM   #15
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
I know that yes it is needed.....

Anyone ever replaced one with a new anode rod and then it never "deteriorated" away? I am about to replace it anyway since it is hardly doing anything at all. The original was gone in about 2 years. This one is barely touched in 3-4 years. Same water generally.

I have had the same rod for 3 years now and it barely shows signs of pitting. Not sure which metal I have but there is no smell. My old rod deteriorated in about 2 years. Had no idea there were different ones till I just read this.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:26 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

The Suburban water heater ships from the factory with a magnesium anode rod. That is the "most effective for most water supplies" and also the "fastest to corrode away".... Many RV parts stores stock both, usually they hang side by side on the rack. One sells for $14 and one sells for $11. Most people pick up both, can't see much difference so they buy the "cheaper one"... Invariably, the aluminum is the cheaper one, so the second rod installed by most "RV'ers" is aluminum and replaces the magnesium "factory rod"... That explains why the first one lasted one year and the second one has lasted 3 years and still looks good.....

Which protects better? That all depends on the quality of your water. If it contains iron and other trace minerals, the magnesium rod may corrode away faster than if there is less "chemical reaction" from the minerals in the water. The aluminum rod usually lasts longer because it is "more noble" and doesn't corrode as fast.... The tradeoff: Since it's not corroding as fast, the tank lining is subjected to the minerals and may corrode faster....

The purpose of the anode rod is to "dissolve while protecting the tank lining"... If the rod isn't dissolving, chances are the tank lining will be dissolving in its place.....

It more or less comes down to which you want to replace, the anode rod annually ($14) or the steel tank every 3-4 years ($350) or the water heater ($550)......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-15-2018, 07:12 AM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbells View Post
WRONG!! In the Sudurban water heater it is absolutely required.
As to "most remove them ASAP" have never heard of anyone in my 40+ years of rving doing that til now.
In fact most don't know it even exist til someone else asks or shows them.
If you have an Atwood water heater they don't have or need one due different tank linings.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote