Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #21
Ken / Claudia

Not mentioned about pricing is the time or date. Dealers work harder at end of the month to sell then the 1st part if it was a slow month. Here Oct. there is the big fall RV show and the dealers get rvs at discount and then again in Feb. they have the sports man show that the same dealers show up. In summer months the good deals are found least often.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #22
Freeheel4life

I don't know how the RV industry does it but many boat manufacturers offer different pricing levels to dealers based on volume. So dealers that push more units get to buy them cheaper which, in turn means they can list them at lower price without it cutting into their margin as much as it would a dealer that does less #s.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:01 PM   #23
earlzach

I bought mine at CW. When I stopped in I asked about the Passport 2810BH, Sales person said "buy now at RV show pricing." I said Fair enough how much? Now she says because of RV show rules they cant provide in writing unless I'm buying so she wrote down on her hand MSRP and the RV show Price. I liked the number 7k off right out of the box? I'm in lets talk about my trade. So after some q+a about my trade we agreed on 2500 over book for my 2012 Salem 26 Tbud. 10,700 offered and 8200 was BB.
So I asked for a sale agreement to take to my credit union for the check. It came back with 3200 additional dollars in fees on it!! I said ok where did I miss something. It was 1500 more on the RV show discount for not using the dedicated lender that was sponsoring their show apperence. CW own finance group. And 1700 Shipping and prep costs. I said fair enough, NO DEAL!! The Sales manager asked why I seemed up set these were standard disclosures.
I politely said, "I stopped in and she wrote the price of the TT on her hand! I SAW NO DISCLOSURES"!! No fine print NO NOTHING!! I was tickled with the "RV Show" pricing!! Now I cant even bring you a check in full from my Credit union with an additional 1500.00?? NO THANKS!! He said the price was advertised to you on her hand? I said yes. No fine print no this or that's. He said sell it!! For the discounted price!!! I am happy now. lol
Old 01-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #24
sbarlag

Very good point on buying from your local dealer to have Service.

Pricing can depend on what a dealer has in stock, what is expected to arrive, when it is expected to arrive, what's hot-what's not.
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #25
CHEV1DUDE
Gone Traveling

Smile Buy from an IN. wholesale dealer

I bought a brand new 23rb from a wholesale dealer in IN. , Just miles from the Mfg. Saved almost 50% of what a local dealer wanted.(Looked at the same camper locally,Did the deal on-line. I googled Rv transport companies in IN. and paid directly for transport to my house(Just down the road from my local dealer. About $1.00 a mile for delivery. Local dealer don't matter on service.If they are a dealer for the product.They have to service.
CHEV1DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=CHEV1DUDE;269355]I bought a brand new 23rb from a wholesale dealer in IN. , Just miles from the Mfg. Saved almost 50% of what a local dealer wanted.(Looked at the same camper locally,Did the deal on-line. I googled Rv transport companies in IN. and paid directly for transport to my house(Just down the road from my local dealer. About $1.00 a mile for delivery. Local dealer don't matter on service.If they are a dealer for the product.They have to service.[/QUOTE]

You will want to do a search on this. You will find that your statement is WAY wrong. There are tons of posts and explanations of why any dealer can refuse service to an RV not sold by them. Sorry.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEV1DUDE View Post
Local dealer don't matter on service.If they are a dealer for the product.They have to service.
Welcome to the forum
And now for the truth- NO THEY DONT. RV dealers are not obligated to service anything. It’s not at all like the auto industry, RV dealers are not franchised, and as such can sell what ever they want and don’t even have to service the units they sell. Manufacturers can not dictate that any dealer service their units, only exception to this rule that I am aware of is Tiffen. We are required to do warranty work on units sold somewhere else, but the caveat is we can limit it to 5 items. You may be able to find a local independent RV repair facility that is authorized by the factory to perform warranty service.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #28
CHEV1DUDE
Gone Traveling

Sorry bud! Not wrong,FACTS., I've had mine in for local service, It is part of the dealership responsibility, No matter where you purchased. Maybe you like spending thousands of your hard earned dollars, Just to give it away. I don't! And yes I have done my homework. Maybe you should do yours.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #29
chuckster57
Site Team

Believe what you want. I am currently employed at an RV dealership, as a tech in the service dept. and I DO KNOW.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #30
CHEV1DUDE
Gone Traveling

Guys and Gals, I'm not here to argue, Just trying to help out. And YES a dealer has to service the product to keep the dealer agreement with the manufacture.(They may not put you first in line if you did not purchase from them) If your dealer is telling you differently or if you yourself are a dealer. You are wrong. And have a good case to call the manufacturer and force them to service.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #31
CHEV1DUDE
Gone Traveling

Service dept.techs are a great asset to the industry! You guys/gals are the ones that get the job done!
There is a lot more behind the the scenes going on than you may realize.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Guys and Gals, I'm not here to argue, Just trying to help out. And YES a dealer has to service the product to keep the dealer agreement with the manufacture.(They may not put you first in line if you did not purchase from them) If your dealer is telling you differently or if you yourself are a dealer. You are wrong. And have a good case to call the manufacturer and force them to service.
I would encourage you to call Keystone, Thor or any other manufacturer and clear that up. It is opposite of what many have been told by......the manufacturer as well as the dealer (along with denying service). If you have evidence that repudiates what so many have been told and experienced it would be helpful to many, many owners of all makes of RVs.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #33
chuckster57
Site Team

Thanks, but since I am privy to a lot more than the average employee. This subject has been discussed ad nauseum both here at at work.

At the risk of repeating myself, believe what you want, but the day comes that you need warranty work and you call the local keystone dealer, don’t get upset if he/she asks if you purchased there. And when you say “no” they tell you they won’t service your unit. I’ve stood next to the service mgr many times while he has had that conversation.

If you want to pay for the work, that’s different.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #34
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

CHEV1DUDE,I hope you're right, but all the experience on this forum is EXACTLY the opposite. Not trying to be argumentative but this is what a lot of us have experienced and none of us has experienced what you say.

There is no way for you to force the same kind service you get with the auto industry. RV and auto dealers are 2 completely different animsls. Now, they may take your vehicle on, but there is no guarantee that they will not push it to the back, maybe even repeatedly. Hopefully not, but that is what all those responding are telling you.

Good luck, we all wish you nothing but the best. You can't do much better on here than the moderators who have responded and the others as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:09 PM   #35
scottz

I bought from a wholesaler; the price was $25k less than what I was quoted at CW. That is a lot more than the $2k some have mentioned. I do most of my own service and unless there are some major issues should be ok. In any case, the unit will be out of warranty in four months. There is no way I would pay $25k more just to have a dealer that might provide service.

I have experienced the "we won't work on it since you didn't buy it here" attitude. The fiberglass shower had a crack in it that was obviously caused during installation at the factory. The local dealer said they would look at it but were not willing to do warranty work; I would have to pay first then see about reimbursement from Keystone. After keeping it for over a month, the dealer said they would not be able to get to it until spring. I picked it up and took it to a fiberglass specialty shop who did a great job. All along, I was talking to Keystone about the problem. After submitting photos of the damage and the repair invoice, I received a check for the entire amount from Keystone; they did not even charge a deductible.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:45 PM   #36
FlyingAroundRV

Here's my take on the wildly variable prices of RVs FWIW.
I've seen the particular TT that I've been looking at, for sale at prices ranging from $22K to in excess of $36K.
Here's something I've seen mentioned a LOT. A lot of people suggest that you can get between 25-30% off the MSRP of any RV. So my guess is that the dealers that are posting crazy high prices expect customers to bargain. It's a complete win for the dealers that do this. Some people will haggle hard, some people will haggle just a little, and some will not haggle at all. So the dealer still makes a bit of money out of those people who haggle hard, but makes a LOT of money out of the other two types.
So what about the dealers asking already rock bottom prices? I think it's because these dealers can't be bothered haggling and besides, those low looking prices will drive a lot of traffic through the door without the sales people having to lift a finger.
You can prove this by going to one of the dealers that ask rock bottom prices and try to get the usual 25-30% off. I'll bet London to a brick, you'll get short shrift from these dealers. Probably you'll get told, "That's our 'no-haggle' price".
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:00 AM   #37
Tinner12002

Quote:
Sorry bud! Not wrong,FACTS., I've had mine in for local service, It is part of the dealership responsibility, No matter where you purchased. Maybe you like spending thousands of your hard earned dollars, Just to give it away. I don't! And yes I have done my homework. Maybe you should do yours.
Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you also. I had originally thought the same thing until I read what another member/dealer posted on here about the fact that the RV dealers don't sign the same contracts that auto dealers do so they aren't required to perform warranty service on a unit they didn't sell, even if they sell that make and model. They may still work on it but only after they take care of their main customers first.
I think maybe one of the Mods on here may remember the post, not sure what the orig question for it was.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:12 AM   #38
Tinner12002

Found it, posted by mark1228, This member indicates he is also an RV dealer. This was posted under a "Wholesale dealers" post on 1/6/2018

I am an RV dealership owner. RV dealers are different that car dealers in the sense that car dealers are Franchised and therefore there are certain protections and agreements contained in the franchise agreement and one of those is transient warranty work. RV dealers have no franchise protection meaning that Keystone has the right to pull any brand out of my store at any time they want. I also have the right to sell any other brands I want without advising Keystone. The RV dealer agreements are very loose and have almost no protections in place for either party which makes it impossible that Keystone "force" a dealer to do warranty work on something they did not sell. RV dealers are completely independent and make their own business decisions. A Ford dealer can't add a GM brand to his store without Fords approval for example. Keystone will NOT reduce a discount for refusal to do warranty work Keystone is all about as much volume as they can get out the door and refusal to do warranty work and a transient unit will not get in the way of that. The RV warranty relationship is this: Keystone is the paying customer for work performed in my shop. They don't allow me to make money on parts and dictate the time I get paid per job. It is much more profitable to do over the counter work than warranty work so many dealers just elect not to warranty on a unit they did not sell.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #39
scottz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
Here's my take on the wildly variable prices of RVs FWIW.
I've seen the particular TT that I've been looking at, for sale at prices ranging from $22K to in excess of $36K.
Here's something I've seen mentioned a LOT. A lot of people suggest that you can get between 25-30% off the MSRP of any RV. So my guess is that the dealers that are posting crazy high prices expect customers to bargain. It's a complete win for the dealers that do this. Some people will haggle hard, some people will haggle just a little, and some will not haggle at all. So the dealer still makes a bit of money out of those people who haggle hard, but makes a LOT of money out of the other two types.
So what about the dealers asking already rock bottom prices? I think it's because these dealers can't be bothered haggling and besides, those low looking prices will drive a lot of traffic through the door without the sales people having to lift a finger.
You can prove this by going to one of the dealers that ask rock bottom prices and try to get the usual 25-30% off. I'll bet London to a brick, you'll get short shrift from these dealers. Probably you'll get told, "That's our 'no-haggle' price".
I think you are 100% correct. I chose to walk away from the dealer who quoted me an additional $25k; I didn't even want to talk to them anymore.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #40
CHEV1DUDE
Gone Traveling

Not sure why some keep referring numerous times to the auto industry?
This forum is for RV owners to talk about their experiences and misfortunes in the RV industry.
You guys that work for and own a dealership, GOOD FOR YOU!
We consumers will continue on our journey for the best deal possible.

Mr. Tinner12002 are you an RV dealership owner? Or Retired sheet metal worker?
(Or is that another dealer misrepresentation)