Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2024, 09:12 PM   #1
SargeW

Thumbs up New Theater Seating Unit, w/pics

Our "couples trailer" works out well for us in most ways, but the seating area is critical as it is the ONLY place to sit in the rig, other than the bed. So what you sit on must be comfortable, durable, and sturdy. The theater seating that the unit came with didn't hit any of those marks.

In the 10 months that we have owned the rig we have traveled about 8000 miles, most of that on a 5 week trip back to Georgia and back. In the beginning the seating was "OK", not great, but served the purpose. Towards the end of the trip, I was looking for ways to get comfortable after an hour or so. The seats themselves seemed too short, and the foot rest hit me at about the calf.

So we went hunting for replacement seating, which we had done several times before in other RV's. RV furniture just never seems to be built with "full size" people in mind.

I found a store aptly named "Theater Seat Store" that had a wide variety of seating units with various styles and features. I shopped a variety of stores looking for quality, features, reasonable prices, and good reviews. Also I needed the new seating unit to fit in the space available, which was 63" between the end tables in the slide out. The set I purchased is called "Diesel XS950 by Octane Seating".

I purchased a set that had 2 seats with power recline, cup holders, a place built in for added tray tables or other items that could be added, and the set came with built in LED lighting at the bottom, and a USB charging port at each chair. The set is Italian Leather in black, and I added 2 black swivel tray tables.

The set was shipped from Georgia in two boxes and strapped to a pallet. The unassembled chair bases just slipped through the 24" wide door of the rig, and the backs slide on and lock in. They were fairly easy to assemble, and only required a screwdriver. Each chair has it's own motor and control panel. To fully recline the chairs require 4" from the wall, but still fit fully on the slide out floor and move in and out easily with the slide. I have not screwed them to the slide floor, but after a few trips out with them so far, they have not moved. When I pulled out the original chairs, they did have bolts into the slide floor, but I was able to remove all of the 4 bolts by hand, so screwing them down didn't make a whole lot of difference.

So besides looking a whole lot better, the seating comfort is night and day from the originals. I can recline easily and sit up at the press of a button. The tray table easily holds my 17" laptop, and the tray tables lift off easily if needed.

I paid less than $2000 for the two chairs delivered, with the extra tables, and a 5 year warranty. I won't say the new seats were cheap, but for the amount of time spent sitting, eating, napping, or surfing the net, these make being in the trailer a whole lot more comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Seats 3.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	45986   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Seats 2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	45987   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Seats 1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	45988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seats 1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	371.0 KB
ID:	45989  
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 09:20 PM   #2
LHaven

If we come visit you in Havasu, can we try them out?
Old 01-08-2024, 08:25 AM   #3
SargeW

Sure, come on by!
Old 01-08-2024, 06:12 PM   #4
Ewad-29RLI

Your post is perfect timing. The seating in our 2022 Cougar 29RLI is less than desirable. We spend 5 months in Gulf Shores, AL during the winter. A lot of time inside the camper, for sure. My concern is fitment as the seating now, in a slide out, butts up against an island when closed. Need to take careful measurements. I'm thinking with the 4-inch setback for reclining, I could slide them back against the slide wall to gain some additional room. Thanks again for the post. BTW, we spend some time at the Havasu RV Park overlooking the Colorado river.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:47 PM   #5
SargeW

Also look at the dimensions on the diagram before ordering. These chairs are a bit longer than the originals, that is one thing that makes them much more comfortable. But if you move them back, it may wind up being a wash with your current set.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:55 AM   #6
CBears

Those are really nice looking. I've thought that having some little tables like these would be nice.

TT: 2024 Cougar Half-Ton 25MLE
TV: 2022 F-250 Crew Cab XLT 7.3 Godzilla
Old TT: 2021 Jayco 264BH
Old TV: 2012 F-150 Crew Cab XLT EcoBoost
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 11:41 AM   #7
SargeW

Yeah, our trailer is smallish, so the extra flat surfaces for drinks, snacks or phones is nice.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:57 AM   #8
Mikelff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
Our "couples trailer" works out well for us in most ways, but the seating area is critical as it is the ONLY place to sit in the rig, other than the bed. So what you sit on must be comfortable, durable, and sturdy. The theater seating that the unit came with didn't hit any of those marks.

In the 10 months that we have owned the rig we have traveled about 8000 miles, most of that on a 5 week trip back to Georgia and back. In the beginning the seating was "OK", not great, but served the purpose. Towards the end of the trip, I was looking for ways to get comfortable after an hour or so. The seats themselves seemed too short, and the foot rest hit me at about the calf.

So we went hunting for replacement seating, which we had done several times before in other RV's. RV furniture just never seems to be built with "full size" people in mind.

I found a store aptly named "Theater Seat Store" that had a wide variety of seating units with various styles and features. I shopped a variety of stores looking for quality, features, reasonable prices, and good reviews. Also I needed the new seating unit to fit in the space available, which was 63" between the end tables in the slide out. The set I purchased is called "Diesel XS950 by Octane Seating".

I purchased a set that had 2 seats with power recline, cup holders, a place built in for added tray tables or other items that could be added, and the set came with built in LED lighting at the bottom, and a USB charging port at each chair. The set is Italian Leather in black, and I added 2 black swivel tray tables.

The set was shipped from Georgia in two boxes and strapped to a pallet. The unassembled chair bases just slipped through the 24" wide door of the rig, and the backs slide on and lock in. They were fairly easy to assemble, and only required a screwdriver. Each chair has it's own motor and control panel. To fully recline the chairs require 4" from the wall, but still fit fully on the slide out floor and move in and out easily with the slide. I have not screwed them to the slide floor, but after a few trips out with them so far, they have not moved. When I pulled out the original chairs, they did have bolts into the slide floor, but I was able to remove all of the 4 bolts by hand, so screwing them down didn't make a whole lot of difference.

So besides looking a whole lot better, the seating comfort is night and day from the originals. I can recline easily and sit up at the press of a button. The tray table easily holds my 17" laptop, and the tray tables lift off easily if needed.

I paid less than $2000 for the two chairs delivered, with the extra tables, and a 5 year warranty. I won't say the new seats were cheap, but for the amount of time spent sitting, eating, napping, or surfing the net, these make being in the trailer a whole lot more comfortable.
I think I have the same chairs. Same company. Different color. I bought mine on line but I think it’s the same company. Sure looks the same and controls and trays look the same. We love ours and no flaking cheap chairs that originally came with the rig. Would highly recommend them. More expensive than the OEM chairs but well worth it.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:07 AM   #9
SargeW

Yeah, I purchased on line as well, so it was a bit of a leap of faith to purchase without seeing them in person first. So I did lots of research and read as many reviews as I could find before making the decision.

It's only been a short while but so far the comfort and build quality has been great, much better than the Keystone supplied version.
Old 01-20-2024, 01:36 PM   #10
MrKABC

Thumbs up

Those look great!! Nice job on the install!
Mods: 800w Solar, Victron Multiplus 3000 inverter, Victron 100/50 MPPT, Battle Born GC2 LiPo (x5), FOS07TASF Furrion backup camera, RVLock v4, Mopeka PRO (x2) LPG tank sensors, TireMinder i10 TPMS, Micro Air 364 soft start capacitor, 40" TV, Garnet See Level 709P3W1003 tank monitor system, RVLovent 14" Roof Fan.
Coming attractions: 9880 Dirt Devil central vacuum, Nautilus RV shower door system.
MrKABC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater