Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2024, 11:27 AM   #1
Will111

Water Heater Replacement SW6DE for Outback 25RSS

I am having trouble properly hooking up the electric for a replacement water heater in my 2006 Keystone Outback 25RSS. The new water heater unit is a Saburban SW6DE

I was able to get the unit to heat up some water, but it is not properly Hooked up because the unit consistently has power, and the power switches located on the wall of the camper do not affect it.

Aside from the power source of 120v AC hooked up to The SW6DE, there are 3 wires available to connect to, that come from the unit itself. They are a red, blue and green wire located on the left side of the unit in the pictures.

Coming from the camper I have 4 wires that are 12v. Two wires that read 12V when the (water heater GAS) camper switch is turned on, and two more wires that read 12V when the (water heater ELECTRIC) camper switch is turned on.

(Water heater GAS) wires are: 1 white, 1 Orange.

(Water heater ELECTRIC) wires are 1 white, 1 Blue {white is positive and blue is negative for some reason}

I’ve included photos of the way I tried hooking it up , which was able to heat water but left one wire from the camper un-used , and left the unit consistently powered and rendered the camper switched useless.

The other set of photos is of the wires disconnected. Showing the 4, 12V (orange, white, blue, white) wires coming from the camper and the 3 (red blue and green) wires coming from the unit.

The 3 wires coming from the unit are as follows: red - goes somewhere inside unit. Blue - goes to circuit board module. Green - goes to ground screw mounted to body of the heater unit itself.

Any help would much appreciated !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5818.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	45959   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5819.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	45960   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5820.jpg