Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2023, 11:06 AM   #1
herrthreegirls

Sleeping Capacity Problem

Hi all,
I am trying to decide on what to put in place of this peeling fake leather sofa bed. I really would like to just get a regular reclining loveseat but I wonder if losing space for "sleepers" would lose value if we decide to resell it in the future? I know one of my first questions when we bought was, "How many does it sleep?". I do have an air mattress that we use instead of the awful uncomfortable pull out. Those of you that have gotten rid of your sofa bed and replaced with recliners or loveseat recliner, would this hurt or help with resale? Have any of you experienced this concern of mine?
Thank you!
herrthreegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 11:17 AM   #2
Canonman

I think resale is a 50/50 deal. Those of us that have had the tri-fold sofa would most likely see the upgrade to some form of recliner. Some (Idon't think many) might pass due to loosing the sleep space but then there is always something folks will pick at.
We're looking closely at these:https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Reclin...1zcF9hdGY&th=1
Lightweight and easy to use plus 4 colors to choose from.
Extra "sleepers" tend to be grandkids at our age. They love sleeping in the "pup" tent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL1275-1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	44523  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 11:25 AM   #3
herrthreegirls

Thanks for the input. My space is about 60 inches and these 2 recliners would fit!
Old 07-11-2023, 02:39 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrthreegirls View Post
Hi all,
I am trying to decide on what to put in place of this peeling fake leather sofa bed. I really would like to just get a regular reclining loveseat but I wonder if losing space for "sleepers" would lose value if we decide to resell it in the future? I know one of my first questions when we bought was, "How many does it sleep?". I do have an air mattress that we use instead of the awful uncomfortable pull out. Those of you that have gotten rid of your sofa bed and replaced with recliners or loveseat recliner, would this hurt or help with resale? Have any of you experienced this concern of mine?
Thank you!
We have a 21 year old Cougar and got rid of the booth dinette and the sleeper couch which was miserably uncomfortable. I never tried laying on the bed part but with all that metal and a 2" pad can't imagine anyone enjoying sleeping on it.

We replaced the dinette with a table and chairs from Ikea and the sofa initially with a Lazyboy reclining love seat which has since been replaced by two recliners which are very comfortable. I see no reason why these changes would effect the resale of our camper since it has low resale value anyway.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 03:44 PM   #5
dutchmensport

We've had 1 pop up and 3 travel trailers previously where we made all sorts of modifications, changed things, swapped things out, added additional things, and none of that added, nor did it decrease the value of the camper. We traded to a dealership for a trade in for the next camper. It didn't matter what "extras" we did, they went strictly by a chart. Of course, since each one was a trade in to an RV dealership they offered low, low ball. But in the end, everything worked out OK for us.

To answer your question ... resale will not be affected if original is not in the camper. When buying used, you get what you get. It's just that simple. The potential new owner either accepts that or they don't. Move on if they don't. Someone will.
Old 07-12-2023, 08:29 AM   #6
herrthreegirls

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
We have a 21 year old Cougar and got rid of the booth dinette and the sleeper couch which was miserably uncomfortable. I never tried laying on the bed part but with all that metal and a 2" pad can't imagine anyone enjoying sleeping on it.

We replaced the dinette with a table and chairs from Ikea and the sofa initially with a Lazyboy reclining love seat which has since been replaced by two recliners which are very comfortable. I see no reason why these changes would effect the resale of our camper since it has low resale value anyway.
Can I ask why you switched from a reclining loveseat to 2 recliners?
Old 07-12-2023, 08:50 AM   #7
gearhead

We had the peeling leather in a previous Montana HC and our current Landmark. We traded in the Montana as is with no negative comments from the dealer. I later saw it advertised with the peeling furniture.
Our Landmark did the same thing. RecPro had interesting replacements but was much more expensive than I was willing to pay. We shopped traditional mid level cost furniture stores with no results. We went to Ashley furniture and found theatre seating made of polyester fabric. Looked good. They were on sale, half off at $699. We bought two mostly because we couldn’t find a sofa that fit. We bought 5 year warranties for $75. Happy so far. Our 4 grandkids are 2-6 yrs old. They have their own “kid cots” for sleep overs.
I would also consider American Furniture Warehouse.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 06:00 AM   #8
cougar23

We had a Cherokee camper with a jack-knife sofa which I replaced with 2 recliners. I kept the sofa for "just in case" and when we decided to trade the camper in on a new one I informed the dealer of all of my upgrades. He stated that he would give a better price if camper was factory original. So I removed a 2000 watt inverter, two 6 volt batteries, a battery monitor and the 2 recliners.
Reinstalled the sofa.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 06:23 AM   #9
NH_Bulldog

I think resale impact all depends on your target audience. Just like a house with a swimming pool might be attractive to some people in some places, but in others, it is a massive headache that could turn a buyer off.

As an example, we are camper shopping and our needs/wants dictate a sofa as opposed to twin recliners, not because we need/want sleeping space, but because our dogs like a sofa to sleep on all day. One model we like has the twin recliners in all but one of the 25 units we have seen so far, and the one that does have a sofa is too far away. We can order one to our liking if we wanted and I am sure some enterprising dealer could swap one out for us, but we are still just looking. On the other hand, my brother who recently bought a Fuzion passed on a model with a sofa and paid a bit more for one with the theater seating because his needs/wants are different.

Long story short, you can’t please everyone all the time, so do what works for YOU in YOUR situation.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 12:19 PM   #10
herrthreegirls

update

Thank you to those that your opinions and experiences. We have decided to get a residential sleeper sofa. We removed the rv sleeper with relative ease and into the dumpster it went. We are going with this. Hopefully you can see my pictures included. The reviews are pretty good for this. No more pleather!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230712_222505_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	44557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230715_160902_Walmart.jpg
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	44558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230715_160912_Walmart.jpg
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	44559  
Old 07-15-2023, 01:45 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Can I ask why you switched from a reclining loveseat to 2 recliners?
Kinda longish story... we had the two recliners in our living room. I really liked them but my wife wanted a full couch with individual reclining sections. The two recliners became excess. I liked my recliner better than the LazyBoy love seat (reclined and leather) so the missus sold the Lazyboy and I took the recliners up to the camper where we have enjoyed them ever since. I like the fabric vs leather and the recliner is just more comfy (read the fairy tail princess and the pea... I am the princess I guess). I was OK with the LazyBoy but the recliners were almost new at the time.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:22 AM   #12
Dallasrules

Quote:
Hi all,
Thank you!
I just bought a motorhome that has a fold out aired. I have a nice set of recliners I am putting in its place, but that means losing a sleeping spot. That only leaves the dinette which is not the best choice. Our solution is to also take out the dinette and replace with a really nice jackknife sofa we have, and use a coffee table with lift up top. This set-up will give more seating, a comfortable bed, and you can eat or work from the raised coffee table top. In addition, there is a desk with a swivel rocker and the front passenger seat swivels around to face the desk also.

In a 5th wheel we had we put recliners and the jackknife on the slide and put a table and chairs in the corner. There is a lot you can do if you get creative.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 10:19 AM   #13
dutchmensport

Really, really, really ...... is that sofa "really" comfortable as a bed. I have yet to EVER sleep on any sofa bed that was actually comfortable. In our Montana High Country, front living room, I gave up on the two opposing sofa beds. They are so horribly uncomfortable. When we need extra bed space now, the kids sleep on the sofa's (unfolded) and we have a 12 inch think air mattress we put on the floor between them in the living room area for the adults.

It's not just these two, our previous trailer was awful. My in-laws sleeper sofa was awful. We've had 6 or 7 sleeper sofas in the house over the last 38 years of our marriage and every one of them was horrible.

So, check it out.... actually sleep on it yourself and see if it really WAS a good choice! (I'm a skeptic)..... sorry!
Old 07-20-2023, 10:43 AM   #14
notanlines

Yep, what Dutch said! ^^^^^
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 09:59 AM   #15
apachewolf

Quote:
Hi all,
Thank you!
All too often I hear that argument from people either buying a new car, house or in this case a travel trailer. We found a trailer (keystone Laredo MK240) that we liked---some. The bench in the slide was as many others like it very poorly build. It collapsed on our first trip out. So that was taken out and replaced with Chairs and a table. Much better. And there were other changes made, but we NEVER decided any change based on what a future buyer would think of it. The trailer was for OUR enjoyment not some one years out. And I have met quite a few people that are reluctant to make any changes to their house , because it may influence the re-sale value later on. I didn’t buy to please a future buyer, I bought to enjoy it with my wife. So IMHO what ever you do, do it for yourself and the family NOT for a future buyer.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 12:53 PM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Agree with above. You have to take campers in context, they are campers. Stuff wears out, things get replaced, and the lose value RAPIDLY after putchase. IMHO keeping a camper pristine and in showroom condition is futil as far as resale value is concerned. Campers aren't collectible, so unlike a numbers matching 1965 Corvette keeping it in OEM condition is not necessary.

JMHO, YMMV
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 03:34 PM   #17
wiredgeorge

There are resale value killers.... over personalization such as cute sayings painted on the walls and nailing everything under the sun then leaving a bunch of nail holes.