Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2023, 10:15 PM   #1
Rwexcavate

Home made Air Conditioning air handler

This one was for my 2016 Keystone Cougar 28RBS travel trailer with a Coleman Mach.unit

Getting it ready for this summer ☀️.. I've been meaning to do this modification for some time.. I wish I had done it sooner!

This is the final result of building a new improved air handler inside the plenum of the air conditioning unit. It basically directly injects the cold air from the blower straight into the vent system and uses that previously wasted space to open up the rest of the filters so they can actually be utilized.

The stock air handler was very noisy and very very inefficient! Only about 1/4 of the air filters were being used, air flow was absolutely abismal and completely neglected service to the other rooms. The ducted vent system hardly had any trickle of air flowing to the other rooms at all. The coils needed cleaning, the plenum needed to be resealed.

This mod has MASSIVELY improved the air flow!! 💨🥶 Along with the seasonal coil cleaning, it is now COLD in here!! Looking forward to enjoying the energy savings, longer lasting filters, the quietness in the cabin, and all that wonderful cold air flow!

All it took was a few hours, some foam board I already had on hand, some foil tape I already had, a razor blade, tape measure, some upholstery foam I had left over to make the side seal, and a straight edge. Inside this foam board air handler is a duct system with a curved sweep on either side of an upside down V pressed right up against the blower hole dead center. The top corners are reverse curve sweeps to match the lower one. The side plate is mashed up against the sides of the sweeps with a cut to fit section of upholstery foam and all is sealed and smoothed further with foil tape.

The curves are made by lightly scoring one side of the board every 1/2" and then snap.all the lines with your hands to create that nice smooth sweep. Cover the score lines with foil tape to smooth it out further. Name of the game is eliminating resistance to air flow. I made fhe v plate out of one piece of board scored on opposite sides to create a profile of an upside down seagull if you will, then I reinforced the V plate underneath with a stealth bomber remenicent plate that is higher in the center of the plenum near the intake and lower at the outter edge on the exhaust side. This high low setup is conducive to creating a lower negative pressure, or higher pressure vacuum chamber of sorts that allows for utilizing the filters in their entirety.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230715_210821.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	44560  
Rwexcavate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 08:09 AM   #2
Cheesehead4Life

I did pretty much the same thing. The reduction in noise was incredible. Could hardly hear people talk to you before, and now you can talk to each other without raising your voice. And of course there is the increased airflow and the A/C can now keep up on all but the hottest days. The rubber meets the road now!

2020 Outback 341RD
2018 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Cheesehead4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 11:57 AM   #3
jsb5717

Good idea, and well done. I did something similar in our bedroom AC with rigid foam and aluminum tape like I've seen on some YouTube videos. Minimizing turbulence will increase air flow.

Living Room AC is Whisper Quiet so no interior access to the plenum
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 12:46 PM   #4
Rwexcavate

Thank, Im so glad I broke into it, it was miserable before.. too bad you cant do the other one
Old 07-16-2023, 12:47 PM   #5
Rwexcavate

Yeah Im supprised hkw quiet it is also now, I plan on sizing up a normal house air filter, those are way less expensive, has plenty of room for it now

Tags
air conditioning