Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #21
Truckbuddy

Air Lift

I have the 5000 system with compressor and remote on my 2015 Ford F350, and had it on my 2008 Sierra 2500 before it. I can't say enough good about it. Awesome system if installed well.

I pull a 40' Fuzion 371. With the air bags at 30 pounds the truck barely sits on the springs, without bags it just about crushed them. Added bonus is a small gain in MPG at 20 pounds and no load, about 1-2. I also use a Reese Goose Box with an additional bag.

Adding airbags without the compressor is ok, but automatic filling/release to keep your load right is superior. Worth the trouble. Get the bags with the built in bumper.
Truckbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #22
Wireman134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
I'll third the motion, no bags required. I really do not need them on my 2500 with a 13k 5er, but they help.
If you said 2500 Diesel you are most likely over it's payload capacity and those air bags are not the solution
Wireman134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #23
KimNTerry

If I were to purchase air bags for a 1 ton truck it would be the airlift 5000 ultimate with internal jounce replacement (just in case). I had the Firestone bags did not like that the jounce was removed. Other than that the firestones were fine for years with no issues. Now I have a new truck and went with Timbrens this time.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #24
Uneasyrider

I have the same truck, Firestones are OEM on the truck if you order them, they wont help your empty ride though, only loaded, and they wont increase your payload, not that you need to.

I have the factory running boards but I will most likely end up with the AMP power step boards to get more ground clearance and a lower step. I really like them.
Uneasyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:41 PM   #25
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uneasyrider View Post
I have the same truck, Firestones are OEM on the truck if you order them, they wont help your empty ride though, only loaded, and they wont increase your payload, not that you need to.

I have the factory running boards but I will most likely end up with the AMP power step boards to get more ground clearance and a lower step. I really like them.
The Ram rear air system is not just a set of Firestone air Bags. It is a Ram designed system with an onboard compressor. It is not an addon, it is designed to carry the load, much like air suspension on semis.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:07 AM   #26
Laredo Tugger

From the OP:
The hits just keep on coming! Thanks to all who have replied,especially those with the same TV. Still could use some help with a couple of questions to follow.
An update.
After discovering that my Curt 16K Slider hitch needs a special adapter for the "Puck system" in the truck (and luckily Ram is the only brand that has this adapter,according to sales rep) I was now working with a big up kick in the height of the hitch (new truck 3 3/4" taller than old truck and adapter added another 2-3") and not knowing how much the truck will be lowered (sag)when the 5er is hooked up made it difficult to select where to adjust the hitch. Went for the lowest setting.
The truck dropped about 3" with the trailer hooked up and does not ride level. Not so bad that the headlights are out of whack,but there is a change in profile. I have seen may TVs towing on the road with the same profile. Not being an expert in Ram suspensions I would assume any change from a normal ride (level profile) would add to tire wear, Air bags will not change the weight but will change the ride on the tires. Correct? Do I really need them? Looking at these if needed:
https://www.suspensionconnection.com...BoC0twQAvD_BwE

The trailer measured 24" from ground to frame in front and 26" in the rear,but appeared level on the bed rails with 6 1/2" inches of clearance. While turning on an angle (non flat surface) the electrical box on the king pin frame gouged into the top of the the tailgate plastic cover material. I can adjust the box but am also considering raising the hitch up one hole (approx 1") on the adjustment plate. This will offer slightly more tailgate clearance and adjust the offset in the height of the trailer previously mentioned.
All comments and recommendations welcome. Thanks again.
RMc

P.S. The truck pulls the trailer like a dream and rides really nice when hooked up. I nicknamed the truck "Mongo" because of it's power.
Mongo like trailer!
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:53 AM   #27
Racebug

I have a curt set up in my truck that does not require an adaptor, worse case you could buy the bottom section and re-use the rest of your 5th wheel hitch possibly. When I had my old ram with a short bed it also gouged out the plastic on the tailgate. No big deal, never got any worse than scratching the plastic. My new truck has the auto level air bags, but also has softer leaf springs than a regular 3500 DRW ram.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #28
Uneasyrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
The Ram rear air system is not just a set of Firestone air Bags. It is a Ram designed system with an onboard compressor. It is not an addon, it is designed to carry the load, much like air suspension on semis.
It looks like this:

Uneasyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #29
Racebug

it is a closed loop system. It has a nitrogen tank and compressor that moves nitrogen to the tank or to the bags. compressor runs when unhooking and when hooking the 5th wheel.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #30
Laredo Tugger

I have the slider hitch (for short bed) and was told that I could not use the mounting bars (flat pieces that bolt to the bed) with the Puck System that is on the truck. So the adapter was needed. I just raised the adjustment one bolt hole on the hitch and remounted the electrical box higher up in the king pin box. I have not hooked it up yet for a check with the new height adjusted.
I do not have the factory air bag system, so will be looking at aftermarket products.
RMc
Old 08-12-2018, 03:50 AM   #31
nesparky

Air down your tires to 60lbs when not towing, the ride will improve and you don't have to worry about the tpms light freaking out like on the 2500.
nesparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:09 AM   #32
Laredo Tugger

OK. I guess the TPMS on my 3500 won't freak out either.
Thanks
RMc
Old 08-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #33
Danno

I too have a 2018 3500 DWR CC Ram with the towing package and air ride. what I can't understand is this, you can't just push the button and the system will deflate because you get a message that says the load is too light.

However it works with my fifth wheel once its on the TV but if I hook my boat up to the truck it says its too light again and my tongue weight is 700 lbs!

And this just urks me, out of all of the trucks I have own, Ram decides to move the trailer plug to the right side of the license plate! we have five other Ram trucks at work and all have it on the left.

What am I missing?
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #34
Laredo Tugger

OK
Long time coming update, Finally got the Air Lift 5000 bags installed. They seem to raise the TV up in the rear which is good because the truck had some sag with the 5er hooked up.
Today I hooked up with the air bags (had maybe 10 lbs. psi in them) and the truck sat level but the trailer was about 2 inches high in the front so I let some air out to get the trailer level. I rechecked the trailer and got a little over half an inch in my favor (closer to level) but the air bags now have no air in them at all.
I went for a test drive of about 35 miles on the highway and my TPMS showed normal tire temps all the way around (all four) and the truck rode very comfortable.
My question is, am I OK running the air bags deflated and is the inch and a half difference (high in front) critical? Especially with all OPs normal.
Thanks
RMc
Old 08-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

I will let others chime in on the height but all the airbags I've seen generally require a minimum inflation pressure. In the case of the 5000 I believe it is 5 psi.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:56 PM   #36
Laredo Tugger

True. After I posted I called Air Lift and was informed that 5 psi. is a minimum pressure for my product. So I re-inflated them. Will not know if I raised the trailer higher until my next hook up, but when I do I will have a keen eye on rear tire pressure and wear.
Next adjustment is probably the king pin box. Oh fun..........
RMc
Old 08-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #37
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
True. After I posted I called Air Lift and was informed that 5 psi. is a minimum pressure for my product. So I re-inflated them. Will not know if I raised the trailer higher until my next hook up, but when I do I will have a keen eye on rear tire pressure and wear.
Next adjustment is probably the king pin box. Oh fun..........
RMc
King pin box is an easy one person job. Use the tailgate of your truck and landing gear loosen all bolts, leaving one in each of the four corners. Then just rest the pin on the tailgate. Then remove either the font pair or rear pair and then raise or lower LG to get to the next set of holes. Put in bolts, then remove other pair and align those holes.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote