Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2018, 06:13 AM   #1
XTeacher

Keystone Warranty - What A Joke!

Post deleted...
XTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:18 AM   #2
Hodgy

That's not good.
2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:06 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm not defending Keystone, but let's consider a couple of points:

First, you state you bought the trailer on 9/23/18. I'm sure that's a "typo", but September isn't here for 6 more months.....

Second, you state the toilet valve is broken. Whether you have a Thetford or a Dometic toilet, that valve, if not properly winterized, will freeze and break. So, without proper documentation, stating it is NOT freeze damage, any RV manufacturer would refuse to cover "damage caused by improper winterization". Finding the broken toilet valve in the spring (after a cold winter) would lead anyone to ask if it was freeze damage, not part failure.

Third, you state that "Keystone will pay for the part (minor cost) but we will have to cover the labor (much higher cost)..." If your toilet is a Dometic, replacing the valve is a 5 minute job, the valve is about $45. If your toilet is a Thetford, it is more involved, requiring the toilet to be removed to access the valve, but even that is well within the mechanical capacity of anyone who can hold a screwdriver in either hand (figurative "literary license")... So, accepting the part and doing it yourself is an alternative to paying CW for the "higher cost".

Fourth, you state that "My husband said his wife, (me) will probably go ballistic...." Please review the forum rules (located in the FAQ), particularly rule #2 concerning "repeated negative comments". Please don't include this forum in your "social media blitz" against Keystone....

Remember, the majority of people who read this forum are "satisfied Keystone owners" who have not had the kind of warranty problem you're facing. Telling us about your experience is perfectly acceptable, asking for advice on how to proceed is also acceptable, but "trashing Keystone" to get even with Camping World's lack of getting your warranty on a damaged or broken (depending on what broke and how) toilet valve, is not acceptable.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:36 AM   #4
Carrottop

I agree for every horror story we here there is a story of how Keystone came through stood by their product. I have a 2017 217exp and they have replaced the front cap when the dealer noticed it started to delaminate. As well they replaced the entire kitchen counter when there was water damage from a leaking kitchen tap. My point is they could have easily said the water damage was self inflicted or the cap was not bad enough to replace. We sometimes have to try to look at it from the manufacturers point of view and they cannot simply cover everything when there may be some doubt as to the cause (not say there was in your case).
Carrottop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #5
travelin texans

Unfortunately the rv industry is what it is!
But ANOYNE that owns one has to be able to do the small stuff (such as toilet valves) themselves or be willing to leave their rv for 6-8 weeks minimum for a 15 minute repair.
Sorry hear about your issues! I also can agree with John, are you or can they absolutely positively guarantee 100% that it was not damaged from freezing? I would think it was a freeze given it's been a very cold winter, only used 25 times & only 6 months old.
Bashing Keystone won't help much either, they DO NOT read this forum & most likely don't read any other social media. You don't have to buy another Keystone either, but good luck in what ever you buy. They ALL use the same vendors, same geographic area folks build them & Keystone is just 1 of the MANY rv brands owned by Thor so not much is likely to be different.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:49 AM   #6
notanlines

Beth, we do feel your pain.....hmmm, Bill Clinton....but you probably do have a Dometic in that it is the most common brand. We all probably agree that you shouldn't have had to go to the extremes that you did, but at least you did save $50.00. RV warrantees are notoriously bogus as evidenced on any forum one might read. Sometimes they work out okay, but generally the warranty receives bad grades. IMO the extended warrantees are almost criminal.
If I were in your shoes I would also make a few calls to the toilet manufacturer and see if they won't grease your palm or send a new valve....something along those lines. Also keep in mind we're on your side.
We would never, never cross a teacher!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:04 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I'm sorry for your problem but glad it's not something serious.

I have to agree with the previous posts. Having been a person that has experienced many warranty issues, I've had some experience dealing with Keystone and dealers. Keystone has taken care of me, usually, although a couple of times it took the intercession of the service manager at the dealer to get something approved - including a complete repaint of my front cap initiated by the dealer before I was even aware of it. As has been noted before though, they can be difficult to deal with; again, thankfully not something really serious.

I know how it is when it's "your" trailer and you know, more or less, what it's been through. On the other hand, you have to look at it objectively from Keystone's point of view; they don't know you from anyone and they obviously can't/won't approve everything someone wants to have done on warranty. In your case it's a part that could have been damaged a number of ways vs being defective - how would they know? Plus, the toilet is manufactured by Dometic or Thetford I imagine. If it's defective contact the one who made it. Also, if it's a Thetford I would just buy a new Dometic 310 and change it out as I just did since you have a reason.....better toilet.

As John said, it's a simple fix. I'd buy the part, replace it and go on down the road forgetting the bashing of Keystone on social media, the wasted time on phone calls and the heartburn - I'm sure you have better, happier, more productive things to do. Again, I'm sorry for your problem and appreciate your frustration - it's JMO and YMMV.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #8
ChuckS

Understand the frustration but I’d fix the toilet valve myself and be done with it..

I’ve had two claims with Keystone on my 2014 Alpine.. one was for stress cracks on rear cap.. dealership repaired ... other was for delaminated baggage door. Keystone authorized repair first time...repair failed within a year.. door and decal was replaced with new one by Keystone .. RV was 2 years old but 8 had pics of original problem, repair pics, and pics when delamination started again.. my dealer emailed these to Keystone and I had a new door in about 7 days.. took old door off, drove 50 miles to dealer, got new door and drove home and installed..

Hope it all works out for you and have a great camping season this year
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Did CW do the winterization or did you do it? I did my own year before last. Blew out my lines and forgot the toilet valve. Froze, leaked and cost me $125 parts and labor to fix. (I know, I should have done it myself, but had a family emergency.) It was my fault and I paid the price.

This year, I paid to have the dealer winterize it and install a winterization kit. The water pump was in an impossible spot so it was good money well spent. If it leaks this year, I'll go back and ask them to fix it, since I paid them to do it right.

Don't know if this will help or not, but I feel your pain and hope that it does help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, warranty