Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
Steve079

Repairs while under warranty.

So, as I explained in an earlier post, I'm having issues with my Dometic 2652. So, I called the dealership where I bought it, and was told since its under warranty, I can take it to any authorized Dometic/Norcold repair facility. There happens to be one very close to where I work. Since the dealership is about 70 miles away, this sounds like a good idea. The appointment is about 3 weeks out, what do I need to do before this happens to make sure there won't be any out of pocket expense, and in the event that this local dealer can't resolve the issue, I don't wind up not getting shafted on the whole deal.
I'm guessing warranty work is not real lucrative and the dealer would just as soon not deal with it.
Advice?
Steve079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If the service center you're considering is an authorized Dometic repair facility, there should be no difference in costs there or at your dealership. The key to what you'll have to pay really depends on whether the repair is a warranty item or a non-warranty item. As an example, if the refrigerator isn't cooling and it's found to be a bad control board, then it would be covered by Dometic warranty. If, however, it's found that there's a screw driven through the control board during installation on the assembly line, don't be surprised if Dometic refuses the warranty and you have to pay for the repairs and take it up with Keystone.

So, what I'm saying is that you "ought to be OK" but nobody can guarantee what the repair facility will find and whether it's covered by warranty or is considered an "out of pocket" expense....

You might want to give the repair facility a call and discuss your concerns with them.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:52 AM   #3
canesfan

It would probably be a good idea to have your purchase paperwork showing when you bought it. I have been asked for this info before.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
dcg9381

If I recall right, I got a bag of stuff that had appliance registration for warranty. Did you register your fridge? If not, see if you have that paperwork and get it registered.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:50 PM   #5
gearhead

Yes if it's not registered, do that. It will also assist Dometic in sending you the extended warranty info after the first 2 years are over.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:05 PM   #6
Steve079

Although I received a folder full of warranty and info on most of the items inside the RV, I got nothing on the refrigerator. I"ll call the place of purchase and see whats up.
Thanks for the input!
Old 06-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
dcg9381

Eh. Unnecessary. Here's the form:
https://www.edometic.com/h.nsf/preg?OpenForm
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
Steve079

Thanks for linking that for me. I tried to register my refrigerator, but it kept telling me that my serial number did not match the model number. Awesome. So I emailed them and asked them for help.

Don't know why they needed my social security number, my drivers license, and date of birth to register a dang refrigerator though?

Not really, but a scam is always the first thing that runs through my mind, when something asking me for info, on the internet, doesn't work.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:11 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Dometic refers have a model number, product number and a serial number.

I wouldn't trust a site that asks for more than mod/product #, serial #, and date of purchase.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:31 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve079 View Post
Thanks for linking that for me. I tried to register my refrigerator, but it kept telling me that my serial number did not match the model number. Awesome. So I emailed them and asked them for help.

Don't know why they needed my social security number, my drivers license, and date of birth to register a dang refrigerator though?

Not really, but a scam is always the first thing that runs through my mind, when something asking me for info, on the internet, doesn't work.

You might want to do a little digging into whoever that was that required all that. I've never given that kind of info to register anything. Sounds like your buying a house....or a gun!!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:07 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You might want to do a little digging into whoever that was that required all that. I've never given that kind of info to register anything. Sounds like your buying a house....or a gun!!

Look at the address bar at the top of the page. I always pay attention to EVERYTHING to the right of HTTP.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #12
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Does not sound right, I would be on alert for any unauthorized transactions like on your credit cards, etc. More information than I ever was asked for a product registration.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #13
Steve079

Sorry, I was just joking around about all that info. The Dometic site just wanted a model and serial number, which I entered as shown on the label inside the refer. For what ever reason, they wanted that info entered differently. I'll get it straightened out, and get this resolved.

I apologize if my sense of humor misled any of you...
Old 07-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

As long as your identity hasn't been stolen, don't worry about it. I and I hope others are serious about protecting members.

Don't do that again ( I'm waving my finger at you, young man!).

Old 07-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #15
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I would have never made a funny but misleading statement....or would I? Hmmmmmm...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:34 AM   #16
Steve079

Repair followup

My appt. is next week with my local warranty repair shop. I stopped in to discuss what is and is not covered. I left thinking that i'm better off taking it the 70 miles back to where I purchased it. Here's why.

I discussed the repair that might be needed, they said Dometic would only cover 30 minutes of Tech time, and I would be financially responsible for the balance. The tech siad they had recently spent 10 hours repairing a Dometic, and got zero reimbursement. So, I left with the understanding, that, what ever the problem was, or what it took to fix it, I had to cover the cost of repairs and then it was up to me to get reimbursed by Dometic.

I'm hoping I just got the wrong idea, I can't see buying a new RV and then getting stuck with a referigerator that doesn't work when running off propane. Should I contact Dometic myself, and ask what their policy is?
Old 07-14-2017, 06:56 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like you found a "greedy service tech" that's out to make as much money as he can, possibly from you..... I'd first read the Dometic warranty, then compare what he said to what you read. If you find a significant difference, then you might want to contact Dometic and discuss your concerns.

I'd suggest that Dometic does not intend for purchasers to "foot the bill" for most or usually for any of the costs incurred to correct manufacturer's defects. They realize that some of their products will fail and need to be repaired. As with any manufacturer, they (not the purchaser) should bear the cost to make it right.

I'd be concerned with the serviceman who says, "Dometic will only pay us a part of the labor to fix it and you'll be responsible for the remainder of the bill." It's always been my experience with Dometic that they will pay for the repairs with no added cost to the owner of the product. Of course, if you make it harder for the serviceman by having the refrigerator full of food that they need to move, store in an ice chest during repairs (or some other foolish act) then that realistically "should cost you, not Dometic"...

If I were you, I'd make sure there's an understanding of who pays what BEFORE you authorize that serviceman to start work on your refrigerator. You might be OK, but you might find that he uses a "loophole" to charge you as well as Dometic. You should not have a charge to repair a broken refrigerator during the warranty period if the warranty document states that it is a covered repair.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:17 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve079 View Post
My appt. is next week with my local warranty repair shop. I stopped in to discuss what is and is not covered. I left thinking that i'm better off taking it the 70 miles back to where I purchased it. Here's why.

I discussed the repair that might be needed, they said Dometic would only cover 30 minutes of Tech time, and I would be financially responsible for the balance. The tech siad they had recently spent 10 hours repairing a Dometic, and got zero reimbursement. So, I left with the understanding, that, what ever the problem was, or what it took to fix it, I had to cover the cost of repairs and then it was up to me to get reimbursed by Dometic.

I'm hoping I just got the wrong idea, I can't see buying a new RV and then getting stuck with a referigerator that doesn't work when running off propane. Should I contact Dometic myself, and ask what their policy is?

I don't know what the tech is telling you but I've not had anyone ever tell me that I need to be prepared to pay additional on warranty work unless I ask them to do something beyond the scope of the actual repair. If it were me I would be looking at taking it back to the dealership where I bought it. JMO
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
repairs, warranty