Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2017, 05:41 AM   #1
dgworek

Extended warranty questions

We purchased the extended warranty with our trailer and I wondered if you can only use it at the dealer you purchased your camper from? I ask this because every time we try to service our trailer it takes weeks to get in. The services is good once they are able to get to the trailer but we currently have an emergent issue with our fridge and can't get anyone to call back of give us answers. The largest camping store in the area and they only have 2 service techs.
dgworek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:59 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The extended warranty "contracts" are actually insurance policies and are managed as such. You pay your deductible and the "insurance company" pays the remainder of a "covered loss" (up to a maximum allowable under the policy term).

Some policies provide for the policy holder to select the place of repair, some have specific locations that honor their policy, some will pay for repairs ONLY at authorized locations, some will only allow repairs after specific "adjusters" have verified the loss. There may be other rules that must be met, depending on the terms of the contract.

Just as a State Farm service center won't process Progressive losses and Allstate won't write checks against a loss from a GEICO claim, your specific "extended warranty" has terms that you must meet before the company will pay for repairs. Each company, each type of policy and each "servicing agent" has rules and conditions that you must follow to make a claim.

Read the terms of your specific policy, it should tell you who can do repairs to your RV and how they must document/file the claim for reimbursement. Most don't have restrictions on repair facilities other than that they must be licensed and certified as a "real business". Read your policy to see what restrictions that "insurance company" has placed on the contract they have with you.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:00 AM   #3
gearhead

Depending on the brand of refrigerator and how old it is, it may still be under the manufacturers warranty. My Dometic had a 2 year warranty. I struggled, with great frustration, with our selling dealer. Three trips and they couldn't fix ours. We were "out of service" for 4 months. I found a RV repair only shop and they replaced the entire cooling system under the Dometic warranty. Also Dometic offers an extended warranty on their refrigerators and A/C's.
My wife wanted the extended warranty, the never wax exterior treatment, and the interior no stain treatment. All of it is junk. A can of Scotchguard for the interior and a wax job a couple times a year is sufficient. I don't want to even think about what we paid for all that.
So...figure out how old your fridge is and see if it is under warranty.
For me it's not worth the hassles of the dealer that has the attitude of assigning the least skilled lowest paid "tech" on warranty work. They don't make much on warranty work. Accessories and out of pocket cash repairs, yes they make money.
Find a Mom & Pop type shop that only does repairs and accessories. Pay them out of pocket if necessary. Cut the frustrating ties with the dealer and cultivate a relationship with a good repair shop.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Call around. Even check the mobile techs. Those guys have to eat and make their money on their reputation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty