Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
daveinaz

Westinghouse 4500DF Generator

I'm leaning toward a DF generator so I won't have to carry around gas cans on our diesel TV. I see that Champion has one, but this one by Westinghouse seems pretty good for the features/price. Just wondering if anyone has experience with it.

https://www.westinghouseoutdoorpower...ts/igen4500df/

Thanks.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
busterbrown

I just bought the Gas only version of that generator. Amazon had unbelievable pricing on it several weeks ago. I havent opened the box yet but will this weekend. The size of the fuel tank and increased wattage over my current Champion 3100 is why I bought it. Can't wait to use it.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
Tbos

I’m waiting for my gas only version to be delivered. Lowe’s did a price match for Home Depot and it was almost as good as Amazon had it before they raised the price again.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:47 AM   #4
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I’m waiting for my gas only version to be delivered. Lowe’s did a price match for Home Depot and it was almost as good as Amazon had it before they raised the price again.
Tom, just curious, what was Home Depot's price?

Old 02-20-2019, 07:20 AM   #5
Wxman

This thread got me researching generators a little. Ran across this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsma...FQnEwAodEsIPZA
I realize it doesn't spec out exactly like the 4500DF in this thread, but it appears to be a reasonable deal at this time. Anyone with any knowledge of this brand?
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:33 AM   #6
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxman View Post
This thread got me researching generators a little. Ran across this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsma...FQnEwAodEsIPZA
I realize it doesn't spec out exactly like the 4500DF in this thread, but it appears to be a reasonable deal at this time. Anyone with any knowledge of this brand?
That Sportsman "inverter generator" looks and reads more like a "hybrid" generator with a semi-open frame design and lack of built-in wheels. Reviewing the specs, I noticed that at "no load", the idle decibel level is "less than 69 dB at 23 feet". That's much louder than most of the true inverter generators of its size and class. Personally, I wouldn't want the noise of a hybrid generator next to my trailer. If that is the case of this particular model, I'd pass on it.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:35 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxman View Post
I don't have any experience with this generator, so take this comment for what it is, an observation of advertised specifications.

The Sportsman generator operational dB is listed at 69dB. That's 1dB over the limit for national park use (in many areas where noise level is enforced). There's not much way to argue the point when the spec sheet says "it's over the limit".

On the other hand, the Westinghouse advertises the noise level such that "who knows (from the specs) how loud it might be. They advertise noise output as, "as low as 52 dBA" so, at rated output it may be 59dB or it may be 99 dB.....

I'm not criticizing either generator, just commenting that the advertised volume is more than many places allow.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #8
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Tom, just curious, what was Home Depot's price?

$776 and change. Amazon had them for $749 but when I went to pull the trigger they had jumped $200.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:12 AM   #9
Tbos

Westinghouse 4500DF Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I don't have any experience with this generator, so take this comment for what it is, an observation of advertised specifications.

The Sportsman generator operational dB is listed at 69dB. That's 1dB over the limit for national park use (in many areas where noise level is enforced). There's not much way to argue the point when the spec sheet says "it's over the limit".

On the other hand, the Westinghouse advertises the noise level such that "who knows (from the specs) how loud it might be. They advertise noise output as, "as low as 52 dBA" so, at rated output it may be 59dB or it may be 99 dB.....

I'm not criticizing either generator, just commenting that the advertised volume is more than many places allow.

FYI, the guy at generatorpowersource.com has done load/noise test on the IGen 4500. You can view them on you tube.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #10
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
$776 and change. Amazon had them for $749 but when I went to pull the trigger they had jumped $200.
Amazon had an even lower price of $670 when I bought mine. I couldn't pass up the deal.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:10 AM   #11
Bisjoe

Westinghouse has licensed their name to a variety of manufacturers. One example is the people in California that import Chinese TVs under the name Westinghouse Electronics, and if you look at the link below you will see many serious complaints. I did some research, and happily, this generator seems to be from the actual Westinghouse Electric in Pennsylvania, so more likely to have decent quality and support.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...epa=SEARCH_BOX

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:25 AM   #12
daveinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisjoe View Post
Westinghouse has licensed their name to a variety of manufacturers. One example is the people in California that import Chinese TVs under the name Westinghouse Electronics, and if you look at the link below you will see many serious complaints. I did some research, and happily, this generator seems to be from the actual Westinghouse Electric in Pennsylvania, so more likely to have decent quality and support.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...epa=SEARCH_BOX
That's good to know. Thanks for your research.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #13
BadmanRick

The first thing I see about the specifications is the generator listed in your link is a Westinghouse Igen4500DF (Dual Fuel) GAS/PROPANE NOT a Diesel powered generator. You specifically stated you wanted a Diesel generator because your Tow Vehicle is a Diesel.
The following is a true diesel powered generator Durostar 5500-Watt Diesel Powered Remote Start Portable Generator available at Home Depot.
Hope this helps your decisions.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #14
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadmanRick View Post
The first thing I see about the specifications is the generator listed in your link is a Westinghouse Igen4500DF (Dual Fuel) GAS/PROPANE NOT a Diesel powered generator. You specifically stated you wanted a Diesel generator because your Tow Vehicle is a Diesel.
The following is a true diesel powered generator Durostar 5500-Watt Diesel Powered Remote Start Portable Generator available at Home Depot.
I think the OP was just concerned about carrying gas cans in his diesel TV.
Looks like a real nice genny and powerful too.
IMHO it's way too heavy for me. 100# it would have to stay in the truck
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:14 PM   #15
daveinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadmanRick View Post
Thanks for the link to a diesel genny, but I never "specifically stated" that I wanted a diesel generator because my TV is a diesel. In my first post I said that I wanted a DF (dual fuel, not diesel) generator because my TV is a diesel and I didn't want to carry around gas cans.

I've given up on the idea of a diesel generator because of the cost, the weight, the decibel level, and that they don't seem to be inverter generators.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:17 PM   #16
daveinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I think the OP was just concerned about carrying gas cans in his diesel TV.
Looks like a real nice genny and powerful too.
IMHO it's way too heavy for me. 100# it would have to stay in the truck
Yeah, I've thought about that 100#! I'm short and the top of the tailgate of our 3500 comes up to my chest! I'm hoping I can lift it up in there! Still, it weighs a little less than some of the other generators in this output range. I'm guessing that me and the DW can get it up there with some team effort.

I have seen how others have mounted up a cargo carrier to the rear of their 5er and sort of do a permanent mount of it there. That's something I'm considering. I just don't know if that much weight bouncing around on the rear of the trailer would be good for the trailer or the generator.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:30 AM   #17
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinaz View Post
Yeah, I've thought about that 100#! I'm short and the top of the tailgate of our 3500 comes up to my chest! I'm hoping I can lift it up in there! Still, it weighs a little less than some of the other generators in this output range. I'm guessing that me and the DW can get it up there with some team effort.

I have seen how others have mounted up a cargo carrier to the rear of their 5er and sort of do a permanent mount of it there. That's something I'm considering. I just don't know if that much weight bouncing around on the rear of the trailer would be good for the trailer or the generator.
Most (if not all) inverter generators over 3000 watts will be approaching 100 lbs of weight, and that's with an empty fuel tank. If you want a single "whole house" unit, none will be light. I find it surprising that the Champion 3100 watt genny (171cc engine) I own is only 1 pound lighter than the 4500 watt Westinghouse with a 224 cc dispacement engine. Fuel tank is much larger though, which is one of the reasons I bought it.

You could purchase a small folding work platform that can help ease the burden of getting your generator in and out of the truck bed.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:09 AM   #18
jimborokz

I have the Champion d/f and am happy with it. They spec out pretty close but I see the Westinghouse has remote start. At that price it is a valuable feature. I'll be 72 in April and can still lift mine to the truck bed but I do grunt a bit with the move. Soon I will need to go to a pair of smaller Honda's or Yamaha's. I also carry an extra 20# propane tank that it shares with the gas grill and that's preferable to carrying gas cans.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #19
BillMc

I have used an an Oman 5550 Propane powered Generator permanently mounted in the Nose of my Fifthwheel since 2007. It has provided flawless operation and has never needed anything but Oil Changes since it was installed. I considered Gas Generators but too many of my friends had carb issues and had to mount a fuel cell under the floor of their units which I really did not want to do.
BillMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:56 AM   #20
daveinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMc View Post
I have used an an Oman 5550 Propane powered Generator permanently mounted in the Nose of my Fifthwheel since 2007. It has provided flawless operation and has never needed anything but Oil Changes since it was installed. I considered Gas Generators but too many of my friends had carb issues and had to mount a fuel cell under the floor of their units which I really did not want to do.
A permanently mounted propane genny like that would certainly be my preference but since it'll only be used occasionally, that's a little more than I'm wanting to spend at this point. But that is definitely a nice set up!

Tags
generator