Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2019, 06:59 AM   #1
Topglock

Rv one piece stairs

Is anyone using the one piece rv stairs on a TT that fold up into the doorway? I’m looking into these but would like to see some real time feedback. Here’s a link to what I’m looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/MOR-ryde-STP3.../dp/B01NADGKUM

2015 Keystone Bullet 272bhs
Topglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:09 AM   #2
MarkEHansen

Our 2019 Cougar 26RBSWE came with this system in the main entry door. I've seen mixed comments on them. They are heavy - which make is a little harder to deploy/put away than the old-style folding stair. However, the weight and the fact that they sit firmly on the ground make them 100% stable.

We really love them. They are a little extra work to use:
  1. You need to make sure the entry door is completely open before you deploy/put away the stair (or it will hit the door).
  2. You need to make sure the extension legs on the stairs are extended properly for the site. If they are too long, the stairs will sit too high and the door will them them when you try to close it.
  3. You need to sweep them off before you put them away or you will dump all the dirt into the trailer. We keep a small hand broom just inside the door (velcro'd to the wall by the floor) just for this purpose.
For us, the stairs are very easy to handle (given the above considerations) and provide great stability for trailer ingress/egress - you don't even need to hold the safety handle going in or out
Old 02-10-2019, 07:16 AM   #3
busterbrown

Yes, they seem to be on many of the new rigs showcased at the Detroit RV show last week. Mor-Ryde Step above are a one peice design. With that said, they do have two drawbacks I've found out myself. First, deployment of the steps requires enough space in front of the door. If you store your coach in a storage yard, you might not have enough space between your RV and another. Could cause a headache. The other drawback is how they are stowed. Anything on the steps including water, dirt, and sand will make its way inside the coach. Just something to consider.

Another product from Torklift, Glowsteps, offers a better use of the original storage space. It retrofits the assembly inside that space with minimal hardware and no alterations. The steps can be deployed easily like the OEM ones. Glowsteps have plantable feet on them that contact the ground. Make them solid just like Step Above.

The Big Truck Big RV channel man just did his --->
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
Topglock

I’m a avid follower of BTBRV. After watching that video this morning it got my gears turning. The DW and I have been talking about adding the one piece stairs on our 15’ Bullet 272bhs since be bought it new. Space is generally not an issue for us, we’re just interested in the stability and incline over the stock ones. Also our shih Tzu would probably appreciate them to.

2015 Keystone Bullet 272bhs
Topglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Get "glow step" accordian style, they don't need the space to deploy and since they can be adjusted to set on the ground they are just as solid as solid steps. I am not a real fan of the moreryde or LCI solid steps.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:45 AM   #6
ajk170

Chuckster57- I've seen that you're not a fan of the one piece steps and advocate the glow step, but the glow step is almost twice the price or the MorerRyde or LCI and despite the online videos showing the ease of installation of the glow step, are they really easy to install? The one piece steps seem like a much more affordable option and the additional storage space with the removal of the OEM stairs seems like a good idea as well (despite the storage not being watertight from manufacturer). I do agree with you and others on the down sides such as needing space to deploy the Moreryde stairs and potentially getting dirt and muck inside the coach when storing the steps for travel or storage. Any suggestions on a good place or time of year (potential sales within the industry) to get the glow steps under $600? Thanks!
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I cant say I've seen them on sale anywhere. My main concerns with the solid types are the fact that the door has to open ALL THE WAY for the storage brackets to clear, and when the tabs are against the door frame you have to almost FORCE the door closed or adjust the strike plate for a looser fit. And you have to get the angle of the steps right or the door will drag and potentially not close.

I deal with these steps on a daily basis so I have LOTS of firsthand knowledge and use. Easy install for sure, but If I was looking at a new trailer, those steps would be a deal breaker....JMHO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #8
MarkEHansen

Opening the door all the way to deploy/put away the steps is easy. Adjusting the extension legs of the steps so they are at an angle which allows the door to open/close is easy. I've never had even a little trouble with either of these.

My stairs we installed by Keystone, and there is no problem closing the door when they are stowed.

YMMV
Old 02-10-2019, 09:03 AM   #9
ajk170

Chuckster57- Thanks for clarifying and reinforcing the point about the door with the morreryde steps. I've wondered about the challenges regarding clearances and spacing and the consequences if those are not right in a retrofit application. That's been the biggest reason I haven't made this modification on my 316RL. I'm more convinced to go the way of the glow step rather than the solid step/Moreryde step.
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:03 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

well that's one thing Keystone does better than Grand Design (solitude line).

Old 02-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #11
MarkEHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
well that's one thing Keystone does better than Grand Design (solitude line).
Yes, I was wondering if your experience was with steps installed by owners rather than the (a?) factory or if we were just lucky

I really like our steps, but I have no experience with the glow steps. The MorRyde are certainly better (IMO) than the original folding-type steps (which we still have on the 2nd door on our trailer).
Old 02-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Solid steps are by far a "step up" from the factory folding steps. having seen factory installed, and installing both MorRyde and LCI steps, either is good. You like yours, I will like my glow steps when I put them in and that's what matters.

I do get a discount on price where I work

Old 02-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #13
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
the door has to open ALL THE WAY for the storage brackets to clear, and when the tabs are against the door frame you have to almost FORCE the door closed or adjust the strike plate for a looser fit.
I will echo the above. If you don't remember to fold the door all the way back when deploying or stowing, you will ding the screen door frame. I also second the comment about the feet carrying ground debris into the trailer every time you stow them (we mounted a whisk broom over the extinguisher to address that).

But far from being a deal breaker, we had intentions of adding this unit (or one like it) to our RV to address my wife's hip and knee issues, and we were very gratified to see it was already standard equipment on the 2019 unit when ours came in. Being a heavy guy, I have outfitted steps on past trailers with folding peg-legs or put shim blocks under them while camping, so this unit suits my needs as well.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:25 AM   #14
rsl

+1 for Glow Steps
rsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:01 AM   #15
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Yes, they seem to be on many of the new rigs showcased at the Detroit RV show last week. Mor-Ryde Step above are a one peice design. With that said, they do have two drawbacks I've found out myself. First, deployment of the steps requires enough space in front of the door. If you store your coach in a storage yard, you might not have enough space between your RV and another. Could cause a headache. The other drawback is how they are stowed. Anything on the steps including water, dirt, and sand will make its way inside the coach. Just something to consider.

Another product from Torklift, Glowsteps, offers a better use of the original storage space. It retrofits the assembly inside that space with minimal hardware and no alterations. The steps can be deployed easily like the OEM ones. Glowsteps have plantable feet on them that contact the ground. Make them solid just like Step Above.

The Big Truck Big RV channel man just did his --->
Not easy to get in Canada. Grrrrrr

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #16
itat

My new 5er also has the MORryde StepAbove steps with the lift assist. The lift assist is only available with OEM-installed step units. We haven't taken the 5er out yet but I've also heard the 2 negatives mentioned earlier in this thread.

I would prefer to have external Glow Step Revolution steps but that obviously wasn't a deal breaker for us. We store our trailer at my cousin's farm in an open area so we won't have an issue deploying the steps in storage. My biggest concern is about getting water and dirt into the trailer when packing up in the rain since I usually stow the awing if the wind is blowing very much. The fully opened door issue is just something to be aware of and do every time.

I contacted Torklift recently via email to ask about retrofitting their Glow Step Revolution steps on a trailer that came from the factory with the MORryde StepAbove steps and without any framing or trim cut-out under the door for external steps. They don't currently have a perfect solution for that but they are aware that a lot of new RVs are coming from the factory with the MORryde steps and it sounds like they may be working on a solution of some kind. Their standard Glow Step Revolution steps are already pricey enough so any retrofit solution will need to be easy to install and not have a significant impact on the price.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #17
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Not easy to get in Canada. Grrrrrr
Any friends/family in Michigan or New York that you can ship to? A summer trip over the border would kill two birds with one stone.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote