Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2019, 06:36 AM   #1
MunizTravels

Thumbs down Alpine Battery Upgrade question

Hi community,

I started my electrical upgrade on my 2018 Alpine so we can full time. The unit came with a wfco 1000 watts inverter that never worked because camping world never put the batteries they promised in the battery box. My question is how do I get the electrical diagram to find out if I need to plug in the romex that was plugged in to the back of the wfco inverter?

The romex i believe was for the refrigerator "not sure yet I need to tone out" when I rewired the 120V electrical box I noticed a breaker for the refrigerator so it's possible its not necessary. The way I rewired the Electrical box is Half has power when we are plugged in to shore power the other half from our new Victron Multiplus inverter/charger and shore power.

If the outlet for the refrigerator was wire by both wouldn't that also power one half of the main electrical box in the RV.

Here is some of the work I've done till now.

Armando
2018 Keystone Alpine 3401RS
2017 F350
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0807.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	20152  
MunizTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
Fishsizzle

All I can say is “WOW”

This is where I am going. Are those battle born lithium?

I’ll re read you post, was drooling over set up! I am hoping to use a magnum hybrid invertor for my set up.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:33 PM   #3
Fishsizzle

And, every post I’ve ever read, there is no diagram available for Keystone. They just don’t exist. Everything seems to be play be ear, or how the installer felt that day.

I figured, though haven’t really looked at, that the invertor wire (romex) just ran to the breaker for the fridge.

I planed on breaking out the 110 from the panel and making a sub panel, just to keep it simple what went where.

The magnum hybrid would then replace my converter for charging the batteries.

If I’m missing something, help me out. This is all in my head and I do not have a ton of experience.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
busterbrown

Lithium Iron Phosphate is becoming the preferred DC battery choice of many RV owners. 80-100% of usable amp hours, bountiful charge cycles, and extremely lightweight composition are the biggest advantages. There are only two draw backs that I'm aware of. The upfront costs and cold weather charging. I think Battle Born is a leading contender. Although, this industry desperately needs more competition for the sake of affordable pricing.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #5
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Lithium Iron Phosphate is becoming the preferred DC battery choice of many RV owners. 80-100% of usable amp hours, bountiful charge cycles, and extremely lightweight composition are the biggest advantages. There are only two draw backs that I'm aware of. The upfront costs and cold weather charging. I think Battle Born is a leading contender. Although, this industry desperately needs more competition for the sake of affordable pricing.

Yes in desperate need of competition

Battle born buys components from China and Assemnles in USA

I’ve been on Alibaba and checked out pricing. Much much better.

Looks like you have 400 ah set up. What are your hopes or goals for run time? Or should say what are you trying to accomplish?
Old 02-04-2019, 05:56 PM   #6
Tbos

I’m following because someday I’d like to accomplish the same thing.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:49 PM   #7
ajk170

Wow- that looks intense- I am following this for the same reason Tbos is- hope to do the same to the in-laws 2018 Alpine FK. Their setup does look different - did you pull the OEM setup out and start over?
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:27 PM   #8
busterbrown

From my understanding, they can be discharged down to 5% capacity repetitively without harm. They charge ultra quick and are seen as top performers when it comes to heavy amperage draw. If my Alaska travel plans for 2020 move forward, I can see myself investing in (2) 100 amp hour batteries and a new inverter/converter. I just wish they weren't so darn expensive.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:38 AM   #9
Ddubya

The romex that is hard wired goes to the fridge breaker. The plug / cord plugs into the receptacle behind the 1000 watt inverter and tells the inverter when there is shore power.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:44 AM   #10
MunizTravels

Thanks, as i keep going I'll post more pictures
Old 02-05-2019, 05:53 AM   #11
MunizTravels

I will admit the Battleborn guys treated me really well on pricing as well as patience with all my questions. They also setup the equipment like the Victron BMV 712 and the Multiplus for their batteries. @Fishsizzle I have 400ah at the moment 700 is my goal as well as 8 200w solar panels from hightec solar. Thanks to all for the props I will trace that wiredown this weekend and let you guys know how its setup.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:58 AM   #12
MunizTravels

I planned on breaking out the outlets, appliances and 1 A/C to another box butt the wires were not long enough so since the RV Electrical box has 2 sides i opted out to the easy way and split what I wanted to one side of the box. I then removed the Hot leg from that side and ran it to the Multiplus and then from the Multiplus back to the RV Electrical Box using 6/2 wire.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:04 AM   #13
Ddubya

Here is a diagram of mine after installing disc brakes. It should be the same as yours less the brakes.
Alpine Elect. Diagram.pdf

Old 02-05-2019, 06:28 AM   #14
MunizTravels

@Dduba so are you saying that when the WFCO in inverting its powering that side of the Electrical box? How do you like those Titan brakes? My RV came with the Road Armor Suspension. I'll tell you a quick story on my way down to Florida from Tennessee as soon as i passed the Florida line every time I stopped or started i felt like the hitch was hitting hard being my first 5th wheel I stopped and called Goodsam, Camping World asking why it was hitting so hard. NO ONE HAD A ANSWER or could tell me anything. I believe now that the battery died and I was stopping the RV with the Truck and thats why it was hitting so hard.

And another thing, I thought i did all my homework before buying the 5'ver but I didn't! I never knew you needed a Lube plate or to grease the fifth wheel hitch and Camping World should just provide it $15 what cheap company I would have bought it if they told me about it. Boy have I learned a lot in the last year.

Armando
2018 Alpine 3401RS
Ford F350 SRW, Titan Fuel Tank, 4X4
Old 02-05-2019, 06:55 AM   #15
ChuckS

Your Alpine brakes work off DC power from the tow vehicle.. not the RV battery...except in a case of the brakes emergency brake away switch getting pulled out then DC power is full on directly from house battery to all brakes...

And yes CW should have told you and recommended using the fifth wheel slide plate... they did a poor job of getting you ready for the road

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:57 AM   #16
Ddubya

Love the disc brakes. My electric brakes literally came apart (three of four) after about a year and I never felt they worked right. The dealer assured me on three visits that they were OK.
The WFCO inverter is tied directly to the fridge breaker. That is all it powers.(not true)
The inverter is connected to the bus in the power panel which allows it to power anything on that side of the bus including the converter. That is another problem as it allows the converter to run on inverter power.
If you have the electric brakes they are powered by the truck. If they are not working I would definitely have them checked. There can be issues with them from the factory caused by grease leaking out of the back wheel bearing seal. The bearings are most times not greased properly so if you are handy I would pull the hubs and pack the bearings by hand. I don't recommend using the grease fittings because the pressure can blow out the back seals. Oh the joys of owning a RV.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:38 AM   #17
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
From my understanding, they can be discharged down to 5% capacity repetitively without harm. They charge ultra quick and are seen as top performers when it comes to heavy amperage draw. If my Alaska travel plans for 2020 move forward, I can see myself investing in (2) 100 amp hour batteries and a new inverter/converter. I just wish they weren't so darn expensive.
Download “alibaba express” app and type in 100ah battery and see what pops up, Heck type in 200ah or 250ah and shop.

Just be sure to factor in shipping and read ratings and reviews. Haven’t pulled trigger on batteries yet, but will be purchasing here as lith batteries are insanely over priced ( hint Ive read it has to do with Cobalt)
Old 02-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #18
W7PSK

Quick question
If you change to the LION batteries do you need to change your Converter? I have the Progressive Dynamics 9260 Smart Converter.
2011 F-350 SRW Long bed Crew Cab.
W7PSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #19
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by W7PSK View Post
Quick question
If you change to the LION batteries do you need to change your Converter? I have the Progressive Dynamics 9260 Smart Converter.
Not always, but best to look up info for your converter as all are different.

Main reason I’m looking at the magnum hybrid is to basically get rid of my converter all together.

It charges, but also will also “grab” batteries when needed to fire up an AC when running a small generator. Thus the hybrid.

I have lots to learn and figure out, as well as budget for.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #20
TJTx

I also have a 2017.5 Alpine 3401RS but, fortunately, it came with the batteries. I, too, am following your project with interest.

Tags
alpine, battery, upgrade